Anyone running DCS on M.2 SSD?

Right so in this case..

* When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA mode, SATA port 1 will be disabled.

* When the M.2_2 Socket 3 is operating in PCIEX4 mode, SATA port 5. 6 will be disabled.

The M.2_2 is just taking ports 5 & 6 because its just the way the mobo is setup but i can use the M.2_1 & also use my PCIE x 4 slots with an adapter as additional space as long as i'm using the NVME SSDs.

It may make sense for me to purchase a 1TB NVME then & put my OS on that & free up a sata SSD for putting some games on.

Yeah the disabling of sata ports 5+6 has to do with PCI-E lane usage from the chipset. When you start adding drives to actual PCI-E slots like those around your graphics card you have to remember those are part of the 16 lanes being shared with the GPU, where the m2 pci-e lanes are on the motherboard PCH, and shouldn't compete with your gpu at all.

For gaming purposes however just be aware you won't see a difference really between sata and NVME. Personally I hope to change my setup to an aditional 500GB nvme drive and a 1 TB sata drive, which would leave me with 4 drives total, two m2 and twos sata III, one of which being my 4tb hdd for storage. YMMV and your preferences as well

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Hi

Actually the title is the question itself.Instead of messing with the OS which is on SSD, i'm planning to get 120-256 gigs M.2 SSD drive just for DCS.As my rig has a slot ready for it , would be real easy.I just have to migrate DCS.But I'm a noob when it comes to Windows ( using Mac normally).

I read lot of threads what i've learned is always useful to have OS and DCS separately.(or the other way around? :cry:) M.2 SSDs look quite fast and budget friendly.

What do you suggest?

There are 2 kinds of M.2 drive:

-SATA. Same as a regular SATA SSD, same speed. Uses M.2 slot.

-NVMe. These are the ultra-fast ones. Samsung 960 Evo is a classic.

Make sure you know which one you're buying! Don't go by price alone--check the details first!

For DCS, 120 GB probably isn't enough. I'm using more than that on my 960 Evo, which is only for DCS.

Get a 250GB one.

Finally, it will reduce load times, and may reduce stutter on very long flights due to terrain loading in mid-flight. It will NOT increase framerates or do much of anything else.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

You#d be a fool not to pick at least an NVMe for your OS drive.

Installing, patching, searching/indexing...all that is faster with NVMe even though in DCS it doesnt matter much for now.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X