Need some advice from the pros..

• ED Team

Hey guys.

My pc is aging, and it's starting to show its age in all the latest games.

It's been 3 years now since i last came on the forums and asked for help when building my pc, and back then, i got some very helpful tips and that helped alot to create, back then, the top-of-the-line pc.

Well, it's that time again now, and here's what im looking for:

- Dual core CPU (Intel im guessing, socket 775)

- Nvidia Geforce GTX 280 1 gig RAM (Or maybe 9800 GTX 1 gig?)

- 4 gig RAM (but which type?)

- Powersupply? (I have an Enermax 600W now, but i need more than that today..)

- New motherboard...but what should i look for?

And about the MOBO, the latest GPU's feature "PCI express 2.0", something my current mobo is missing..

So with my new system, my movies will be HD quality, and obviously, i can have even smoother frame rates than with my current setup, which for the time beeing looks like this:

- Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 4000+, 2.4GHz

- Memory: 2048 MB RAM

- GPU: Nvidia Geforce 8600GT 256 MB RAM

So any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks, cheers.

Edited by Glowing_Amraam

Just regarding the Intel CPUs: there were recent price cuts on the dual cores, and apparently there'll be price cuts for the quad - namely the Q9450 and Q9550 - around the 10 August.

With all the vid work that you do, it might be best to go for a quad - just my opinion.

I agree with Acedy on the new ATI cards - the 4850 or 4870. Apparently very good for their prices!

My recomendations to you is motherboard with P45 chipset (if you have single VGA P45 will be as fast as X38 or X48 chipset - also just marginally slower in CF setup),for CPU get Intel Quad as you do lots of video and graphics, for RAM if you don't overclock you can get 4 GB of DDR2 PC6400 for max of 400 FSB but then again you can get PC1066 for max FSB of 533 (if you want to overclock) as PC1066 is just little more expensive then PC6400 (forget about DDR3, lot more expensive then DDR2 and currently not any faster compared to DDR2 due to their high latencies, once their frequencies increase they will get faster then DDR2), for video card HD4870 will do... PSU, I think your 600W will do if you have only 1 video card but if you go nVidia and get 260GTX or 280GTX better get new PSU.

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

• ED Team

Basically what Kuky said plus:

Using more than 2 GB of RAM you need a 64 bit OS. Considering you are in the video "business" you should also go for 8 GB of RAM.

You dont need no "ultra fast" RAM for the modern Intel CPUs, simply go for some better brands like Corsair.

Some fast HDs in a RAID configuration should also be "must" for you.

For Lockon and DCS:Blackshark multi-core doesn't help yet, but FSX and to be released sims like FighterOPS do support multi-core. On top of that, videoencoding is way faster on quad-cores then on dual-cores.

Radeon 4800 series are on average quieter then GeForce 9800GTX(+) and GTX 260/280 videocards. Prices of all these cards have come pretty close together (I mean, 4850/9800GTX and 4870/GTX260), so I guess both radeon 4870 and GTX260 are about the best option. In my opinion the GTX 280 offers better performance in absolute terms, but the extra cost isn't worth it.

Which type ram, depends on which motherboard you would like to have. Again, DDR3 wins in absolute performance, but comes at a premium which most likely isn't worth it.

4GB would definitely be the way to go. Vista 64 shouldn't be a problem for any modern system driver-wise, and with WoW (windows on windows) you can basically run all native 32-bit software without performance penalty.

And for the harddrive, get something speedy. The latest 1 TB harddrives are also fast, except for the 'green' versions (because those tend to run at 5400RPM). SSD or Velociraptor is again faster but comes at a big premium.

MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X2 555 @Phenom II X4 B55 BE, 3.2 GHz quad-core, Asus EAH4870 DK/HTDI/512MD5, OCZ Gold Edition DDR3 1333MHz 4GB Kit Low-Voltage. Budget = Cheap = Good :D

• ED Team

Thanks for the tips guys! :)

Money is not really my biggest concern, as everything i need to buy is quite cheap here in Norway at the moment.

I'm starting to lean more towares the Geforce GTX 280, because it is a single slot card, but is almost twice as fast as the Geforce 8800GTX, which was the card i wanted a long time ago.

But then again, i *will* need a new PSU for that card, because it requires some "8 pin and 6 pin" power connections to the GPU, and my current PSU only has two 6 pin connectors.

And i need a 64 bit system for use with 4 gig RAM? Since OS has been the LAST thing that i worry about, exactly what does that mean to me? Do i need VISTA? ( i dont like vista at all yet..)

And regarding HD, i have 2 HD's, one at 10 000rpm (windows and all that) and one 300 gig Data HD (for everything else).

Thanks again, and any other advice is much appreicated.