Leatherneck Simulations Monthly Update - January 2015

Cobra847

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCS: F-14 would be epic; people might finally stop asking for F-16. Holy crap now I'm excited. lol

To hell with giving up on a DCS: F-16!

I love me some F-14 as much as anybody else, but the only proper response to its development is to want the F-16 even more so we can complete the teen series fighters that have ruled the skies for the last couple decades.

We should start a thread with pictures of money ready to be thrown at LN for the tomcat. ������ see if that helps speed things along.

In all seriousness, I am looking forward to this a great deal. Hopefully get the d variant. It would be lovely to have a full fidelity module that can truely go toe to toe with the FC series. I mean, it is doable with the mig 21 but thats a serious handicap. The F14 should only be minorly gimped, but I suppose that will depend on the systems and how they get the rio to work >.>.

Anyway. TAKE MY MONEY! I can probably even get my father to start dcs. That was the bird he joined the navy to fly, before his eyesight cut out on him at the academy :(

The F-14D was a seriously good jet. I think she'd surprise people with how good she was.

Anyway I want all the teen fighters leatherneck you have lots of work to do. :)

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

The F-14D was a seriously good jet. I think she'd surprise people with how good she was.

Anyway I want all the teen fighters leatherneck you have lots of work to do. :)

Should be more then a match for everything with the expection of the f15, and possibly the su27. But even those should be able to be handled. Interesting to see the modeling of the aim 54s. But i think itll be tricky to get the rio aspect right. To my understanding with the exception of wvr, the pilot cant lock targets, only launch....hmmmmm

Then there is the a2g aspect which i have no idea what that entails.

Edited by CoverNow

A Mig-29 would most likly eat a F-14 in a dogfight. The F-14 is large and heavy plane with comparable weak engines. It was build for the Radar and the Phoenix. When it comes to WVR the F-14 pilot did something wrong in the first place. Don't forget, a combat ready F-14 is about 30 tons at around 20 tons of thrust. Climbing, acceleration and sustained turns is not the F-14s strong point.

I thing the RIO will be like activating SAU in the Mig-21. While the plane holds altitude and course you can jump to the backseat, clicking buttons

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

A Mig-29 would most likly eat a F-14 in a dogfight. The F-14 is large and heavy plane with comparable weak engines. It was build for the Radar and the Phoenix. When it comes to WVR the F-14 pilot did something wrong in the first place. Don't forget, a combat ready F-14 is about 30 tons at around 20 tons of thrust. Climbing, acceleration and sustained turns is not the F-14s strong point.

I thing the RIO will be like activating SAU in the Mig-21. While the plane holds altitude and course you can jump to the backseat, clicking buttons

Hmm that could work. I dont know how quickly your SA goes to crap in the back seat but hey. I can always find my goose out there ;)

And if i recall, the 29 is the king of wvr turny fights. The whole point is having a plane (the f14 that can compete with the others in bvr, and still hold its own in wvr should worst come to worse. Mostly from being burned in the 21 that cant do the bvr game nearly as well, and the wvr side of the house still gets eaten. But its too damn pretty not to fly.

And doesnt the f14 have better acceleration and climb than the f18, and su27/33? I know its heavy but id imagine slick with a few pointy sticks and with lower fuel that beast can move.

I hope it's the D model. If they do the A I think the US government might get a bit antsy at giving the Iranians a very cheap simulator to hone thier skills/tactics. Anyway I await an official annoucement with much anticipation as any model tomcat would be a blast in DCS environment.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

The Iranians don't need training or a simulator for their F-14, they need spare parts :lol:

Nah, the used their F-14 very successfull in the first gulf war, they surely don't need DCS for anything

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

"You would think the Marines would have flown it."

The USMC never bought Super Hornets. :music_whistling:

6whuQ3n.jpg

That sure don't look like a Super Bug to me. :smilewink:

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Coretex Designs doesn't have a subforum anymore as of yesterday, it's been moved to the "DCS Mods" section.

It doesn't, but maybe it's a trick on all of us. :D

Hmm, missed that, though Sith says that apparently Cortex didn't have a 3rd party license yet anyway, so it seems things are still business as usual, just that they've been moved.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the marine core were close to using Tomcats.

And without wanting to start a war on the forums with Super Hornet lovers all books I have read with accounts from F-14 pilots have been of the opinion that the Tomcat was culled prior to being at the end of her shelf life, and that her replacement whilst being less maintenance was not a better mission performer in any aspect/area. The main areas of gripe being weight/range and drag caused from carrying munitions.

Edit: I know the Tomcat is probably a heavier aeroplane but the point being made was when the Hornet is fat with fuel and stocked with munitions it had a greater effect on the performance of the aeroplane

Edited by westr

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

The main areas of gripe being weight/range and drag caused from carrying munitions.

And even Superbug still is, try the other sim by VRS, you'll get quite an awesome feel of its limits and FBW behavior. However when driven well, its greatest weapons platform I have been flying in any sim!

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

I'm sure I read somewhere that the marine core were close to using Tomcats.

And without wanting to start a war on the forums with Super Hornet lovers all books I have read with accounts from F-14 pilots have been of the opinion that the Tomcat was culled prior to being at the end of her shelf life, and that her replacement whilst being less maintenance was not a better mission performer in any aspect/area. The main areas of gripe were weight/range and drag caused from carrying munitions.

Indeed the Marines were a hairsbreadth away from adopting the Tomcat, but pulled out at the very last minute.

The Tomcat had become a hanger queen, it needed constant maintinence, it was quite large but most importantly it was getting old. Navy service is brutal on aircraft, the stresses of carrier take off and especially landing take their toll on Jets far more harshly that traditional take off and landings from normal runways. The Tomcats had reached the end of their life expectancy, however the exact reasoning for decommission are somewhat murky and prone to speculation/conspiracy.

Towards the end of the Tomcats life, proposals for an Advanced Attack Tomcat, and an even more ambitious Tomcat 21 were being floated. The idea was for there to be an interim upgrade to the F-14Ds that would fix wiring, reinforce superstructure and overhaul avionics that would extend the life of the Tomcat itself. Grumman actually had experience with this sort of thing and had done it to airframes in the past.

Tomcat 21 would be to the Tomcat, what the Super Hornet was to the Hornet. A practical total rebuild of the aircraft, though at least in the case of Tomcat 21, it was the same bird with and overhauled interior, whereas the Super Hornet is literally a totally new aircraft that just is similar in appearance to the Hornet. Tomcat 21 would have reduced weight, improved avionics, and built in targeting systems where the Phoenix cooling systems used to be, among hundreds of small improvements.

The results would have been a Tomcat designed to fight into the 21st century, however instead of going for this program, the defense department decided to go with the Super Hornet, a decision that in the interest of not starting a fight, I will say that I disagree with.

To hell with giving up on a DCS: F-16!

I love me some F-14 as much as anybody else, but the only proper response to its development is to want the F-16 even more so we can complete the teen series fighters that have ruled the skies for the last couple decades.

agreed we need a snake to get bms ppl in dcs (the ones that are not so animate about dynamic campaign)

both snake and tomcat welcomed... :)

snake is best friends with hog.. ;)

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

WOW Great update,I don't know what I'm more excited about? New Period correct Maps/Theaters or The Prospect of Flying one of Grumman Ironworks best and last Aircraft that's on par with Your Fabulous Mig:thumbup: Exciting Times Ahead!!

Edited by badaboom

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

agreed we need a snake to get bms ppl in dcs (the ones that are not so animate about dynamic campaign)

both snake and tomcat welcomed... :)

snake is best friends with hog.. ;)

Snake? Oh you mean Viper :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Would be nice if the Phantom is one of those 3 in development so it can close the gap between the Mig-21. Maybe we'll even get a Vietnam map from BST for those 2 and the Huey.

RimOnBlue.png

F/A-18C - A-10C - FC3 - L-39C/ZA - Ka-50 - UH-1H - Mi-8MTV2 - F-86F - Spitfire - P-51D - P-47D - BF-109K - CA

And without wanting to start a war on the forums with Super Hornet lovers all books I have read with accounts from F-14 pilots have been of the opinion that the Tomcat was culled prior to being at the end of her shelf life, and that her replacement whilst being less maintenance was not a better mission performer in any aspect/area. The main areas of gripe being weight/range and drag caused from carrying munitions.

Specifically, its pylons are very large and outward canted. They're very draggy: http://airshow-reviews.com/bourget/super_hornet_weapons.jpg

People speculate that it needs these for weapons to safely separate from the aircraft.

Edited by emg

My true wish is their next fighter wont be the Tomcat. At least not their next one because ED is doing the F18C, CD are doing the super hornet, Veao the Typhoon, Razbam the Mirage.. Imagine be on the Hormuz map fighting in a Su27 (fc3) or Mig21 vs the air dominance of all of the above and F15 (fc3). Would be an unbalanced theatre.

My hope is that their next fighter could be a Flogger, Foxbat or Fulcrum.

Your ideas?

Win 8.1, I7 4770K 4.5ghz watercooled, 240gb SSD in Raid 0, 16GB DDR3-2400, EVGA GTX780 watercooled, LG 29EA73-P (2560x1080)

Cobra M5 *modded by BRD*, CH Pro Throttle, Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR5 Pro + Delanclip, Bose QC 15, TM Cougar MFD's

300/30 mbps

Agreed, given the number of US airframes that are supposedly coming, some foreign aircraft would be welcome.

Is there any chinese aircraft simulation? I wonder if the data is too difficult to obtain to make a correct sim of a J-9 or a J-10.

Edited by PiedDroit