strange vickher behavior

GIGA_HORSE

Hello,

So I've been flying Ka50 for quite a while and am pretty comfortable with the bird, however lately I have noticed strange vikhr behavior when playing online.

I would lock a target with Shkval, the target is in range, no obstacles between me and the target, broad daylight and when I release a vikhr it does not follow the laser beam and just falls into the ground. I know if I shot ML-25 before vikhrs I need to press LA reset. But this behavior happens occasionally when I am carrying only Vikhrs and LA reset does not work. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Well,

So I flew one sortie, shot all of my vikhrs, came back to FARP rearmed and flew to another target zone and the flight was over 30 minutes long so I assume the laser had enough time to cool down. But I guess after doing some digging on the forum it appears the laser has a finite amount of shots before it blows out. Am I understanding this right? Does using laser for ranging decrease it's lifespan?

yes, it will degrade and eventually fail. Letting it properly cool down between usage helps to get out more Vikhrs before it fails.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 1 month later...

I've had same problem online

Seems to be more related to rearming at a FARP then anything else.

One mission I shot 48 or more with laser switch in on position the whole mission.

Another mission 12 shot, reload at farp and they wouldn't track and just dove into the dirt.

You have burned the laser. Use it wisely and don't smash the target lock button as it fires the laser every time you press it. Make sure to always wait the timer on the hud to expire before designating with laser again if you have to.

:thumbup: That's right

Also, it's not a "beam". That's the difference between the Kh-25 following laser reflection and the Vhiker, which is a "laser rider". It's why you have two different laser modes. For Vhiker, it's a cone of lasers, marking out a grid on the target. You have to shoot the Vhiker into that cone. Otherwise, it will just fly off wild and unguided. Line up the two circles to get a firing solution into the cone, then keep your chopper steady so the cone doesn't move too much, especially towards the end when it starts to narrow, guiding the missile into the target.

Edited by 3WA

Never ending story … the Shark and its laser.:smilewink:

The Laser:

-The Laser lifespan is limited to 5 series with a break of 30 minutes in between.

-1 series is 16 cycles (like if you will 16 launched Vikhr missiles) with a break of a minimum of 5 seconds in between each cycle.

-1 cycle is a minimum of 10 second illumination

The rangefinding cycle is 3 seconds + a 5 second cooldown so in total 8 seconds but as soon as the countdown hits 0 the temperature of the laser is still not the lowest possible tempersture so if there is time wait another 5 seconds to reach the lowest possible temperature of the system in standby(13 seconds for complete cooldown).

- Rangfinding produces much more Heat than the Beamride for the Vikhr missile does.

Which weapon produces most heat beginning with the worst:

- 1 KH25-ML and the Vikhrs A/A mode (Permanent target illumination for Rangefinding / Target painting).

- 2 The gun 2A42 (Target switching/range finding)

- 3 Vikhr A/G mode

- 4 Rockets/Gun pods (usually)

Some tips:

- If you have to attack larger groups of enemy Vehicles with the Vikhr missile wait for the cooling Countdown hit 0 and again wait 5 seconds before the next launch if you need a rangefind cycle between each launch cycle.

- Targets can be aquired after your Vikhr launch and the missile being already in the air.

This is helpfull when you do not need to get an range between each target.

- The system does aquire targets on TA Button release as long as its pressed you can slew.

- Hold in mind if you have to use the Gun often you havent to make new Rangefinding for every new Target closeby to the last one.

- At Short Distance (less than 5 km) and Static Target you havent to make a Rangefind first (1.Switch laser off-2.pic up Target-3.Switch laser on-do not pic up Target again just fire the missile>>the Beamride will be activated for 8 seconds every time the laser is on and you fire a vikhr)

- Switch the laser off after every finished attack. (it has not to be on as long as you Scan for new Targets)

- In Manual Launch mode you can attack 2 targets if they are standing close enough to each other with two launched Vikhr missiles with an launch gap of 4-5 seconds wait till the first missles impact and then slew to the second target, you got your 4-5 seconds time for that.

That 2 targets with one cycle.

There is more but you can also experiment by yourself using this mod:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/607269/

I used it years ago for about two weeks after those two weeks i had noticed that i dont need it anymore because i realised that i now have enough feeling for how the laser works.

But its possible that this mod is not working anymore and iam also not sure that it will pass the integrity check, but in singleplayer it gives a good practise.

OK i think thats it. (see the edit)

ISE:flowers:

Edit: I forgot to mention that you should always use the manual weapons mode you get a by far better range and multi Vikhr launch ability by the only downside of it being able to launch your Vikhr always.

Edited by Isegrim

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom