What better between oculus rift, Samsung Odyssey original and odyssey plus?

kongkiat

Depends on what you are looking for. None are going to be a large improvement over the Rift.

Which is why I am holding out for a headset that will give a nice improvement, like a true second generation product.

You will get a little better display, and perhaps less SDE especially in Odyssey +, but from what I have read they can a be a little problematic getting set up and running properly with consistency. Reports on this are varied though. I am sure someone that did the upgrade will come along and can elaborate more on that.

For me, my Rift is very comfortable, the Constellation Tracking of it is going to be hard to beat, and the Touch Controllers are awesome. (I do more VR gaming than just combat flight sims).

I have been gaming with my Rift since Jan 15th 2017 and it is just solid day in and day out. And I use it practically daily.

There has been a "leak" on a possible second gen Vive product from Valve, but who knows when or even if at this point.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=224404

And Oculus is "rumored" to come out with an upgraded Rift in 2019 now, but that remains to be seen too.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

As someone who thought it wouldn't hurt to upgrade a little bit from the Rift and bought a Samsung Odyssey, my recommendation is that you stay with the Rift. I'm back with my Rift that I have had since July of 2016, and I'm glad I bought the Odyssey from a place that had a hassle-free return policy. With the Rift, I've been spoiled by its seamless integration with DCS. Just plug it in and wait for Oculus Home to boot up. Then start DCS. It just works. Odyssey is a pain to configure. Couldn't ever seem to get the hand controllers to pair correctly, and I never did figure out the "secret" to getting it to actually work with DCS. I also didn't like the light, flimsy feeling of the Odyssey HMD and hand controllers. The Odyssey doesn't completely seal out your surroundings, which in my opinion kills the immersion. Stick with the Rift until a true second-generation offering comes out. That may be a while, but as ruggedly-built as the Rift is, it should have no problem getting you through to whatever day that ends up being.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

From what I read, Ody+ lenses and SDE are slighty better.

However, the headset seems to be uncomfortable, no idea about flying with ASW, and people tend to interchange the foam pads for a better sealing, like eaglecash867 commented.

For a new user, it might be difficult to choose. For an experienced rift user, upgrading to Ody+ doesn´t seem to be a must.

So long story short, if you jump to them, make sure you buy them return policy is good. Just in case.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

As others have said, the change is not that substantial. As of now the Odyssey Plus is probably the best, or if you are willing to take a bit of a gamble, but try the only headset that is technically much better, go for the Pimax.

Also, if you only play sims or also VR games with the controllers makes a difference.

i have a lenovo explorer and last year i took a rift that returned...in my opinion it is much better...but i only use it for flight sims and i don’t have vr controllers. i paid it 90 euros

The resolution is better and i see no SDE (probably because the lenovo has RGB screen and not OLED) the tracking is ok and also the setup is really easy i don’t understand how people have difficulties jn setting up...it is just plug and play and for use it with dcs you just need steamvr and mixed reality plugin for steamvr.

I can only image how better could be the odissey + but it won’t be easy to find out for me given that i live in Europe...

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

You just had to install Steam VR & the WMR plugin for Steam.

Already had both of those installed. Couldn't do anything with them though, due to the hand controller pairing issues. ;)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

As someone who thought it wouldn't hurt to upgrade a little bit from the Rift and bought a Samsung Odyssey, my recommendation is that you stay with the Rift. I'm back with my Rift that I have had since July of 2016, and I'm glad I bought the Odyssey from a place that had a hassle-free return policy. With the Rift, I've been spoiled by its seamless integration with DCS. Just plug it in and wait for Oculus Home to boot up. Then start DCS. It just works. Odyssey is a pain to configure. Couldn't ever seem to get the hand controllers to pair correctly, and I never did figure out the "secret" to getting it to actually work with DCS. I also didn't like the light, flimsy feeling of the Odyssey HMD and hand controllers. The Odyssey doesn't completely seal out your surroundings, which in my opinion kills the immersion. Stick with the Rift until a true second-generation offering comes out. That may be a while, but as ruggedly-built as the Rift is, it should have no problem getting you through to whatever day that ends up being.

WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE! I've had the OG Odyssey, the O+ and even tried the Vive Pro! I promptly returned the OG Odyssey because of the tiny sweetspot. Oculus is way better than original Odyssey. The O+ seemed to have better sweetspot, but comfort was horrible! It also had tons of light leakage. The O+ was clear, but the image felt soft with the anti SDE lenses. I was going to keep the O+ and try to adopt a better facial interface but the absolute deal breaker was the inside out tracking. It simply would NOT work in my sim room which has tons of sunlight. I didn't want to hang curtains just to make the tracking work! and at night I'd have to have all the lights on for tracking!

Finally the Vive Pro was visually awesome and fit like a glove, but I had tons of red, blue, and green static in the headset. Sounds like it is somewhat common and means the cables or breakout box needed to be replaced! I spent over $1100 and had a hardware failure out of the box! So far it's taken me 3 days and although HTC has agreed to refund/return the Vive Pro, I still don't have my rma shipping labels!. For that price, I really worry about future hardware failures and the nightmare scenario of trying to get it fixed/returned.

The oculus just works out of the box for me for the past 2 years. I've modified the facial interface for a wider field of view and it's just like an old comfortable pair of shoes. I just keep coming back to it and its consistent and ASW works great.

I keep chasing better visuals, but the oculus just works. Maybe they will release and updated version with the better lenses and it'll be a instant purchase for me!

my thoughts....

The oculus just works out of the box for me for the past 2 years. I've modified the facial interface for a wider field of view and it's just like an old comfortable pair of shoes. I just keep coming back to it and its consistent and ASW works great.

That's the key right there. It just works, right out of the box, every time. It was good to begin with, and when I added the Oculus Touch (MUCH higher quality than the hand controllers with the Odyssey) with its extra sensor, it became GREAT! Everything is natural, seamless, and reliable. If anyone other than Oculus puts a significantly better resolution model on the market and I want to try it, I'll just be sure to get it from a place with a good return policy. Life's too short for fussing with interfaces. :thumbup: