Elgato Stream Deck as configurable button box

Yes, it still works in 2.5. As long as DCS BIOS supports the most recent version, it will work.

In other news, I've been working on a more generic UI that allows you to configure the Stream Deck, kinda like an advanced version of the official software. However, progress has been slow due to limited free time on my end.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a cheaper alternative, if you have a smart phone or tablet is Roccat Powergrid. basically the same thing and much easier to use

Saitek X-52 | Track IR 5 w/ TrackClip | DSD "Trackzilla" Button Box

Flaming Cliffs 3 | F-5e | Mirage 2000 | A-10c | Harrier AV-8B

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Except a touch screen is a very different experience than a physical key. Also, Roccat Power grid is a glorified virtual keyboard and has no interactions with DCS BIOS or the sim itself. You can only send key presses to the sim, but not extract out any data.

• 1 month later...

Late to the party,

I'm trying to set up a streamdeck to simply send hotkey keyboard strikes to the sim for now.

However, DCS isn't seemingly getting any input... ideas?

IGNORE THIS . . GOT IT WORKING NOW....

Edited by philstyle

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

• 1 month later...
Late to the party,

I'm trying to set up a streamdeck to simply send hotkey keyboard strikes to the sim for now.

However, DCS isn't seemingly getting any input... ideas?

IGNORE THIS . . GOT IT WORKING NOW....

What did you have to do to get it working? I hope you don't mind me asking.

What did you have to do to get it working? I hope you don't mind me asking.

Browse to where streamdeck.exe is installed, likely default location or where ever you told it to. Right click it, properties, compatibility tab, and then select "Run this program as administrator" at the bottom.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 1 month later...

Amazon Prime Day has the Elgato Stream Deck on sale.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Ranma, thanks for this. Could be a great way to fill a cockpit without breaking the bank.

Has there been any progress on your GUI? I've been waiting for this for a while, I'm hoping it hasn't been lost to time or differing interests.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I haven't been able to make much progress on it due to other life events, but it's still something I'm interested in and actively working on when I do have some time to spare. I have a repo up for it here and made a commit just a few days ago:

https://github.com/danieltian/powerdeck

The challenging thing is setting up the architecture and finding the right tools. For example, I know that I will need the ability to dynamically create text on images, but the JS image manipulation libraries out there have varying levels of support for text drawing. Jimp is slow and only supports bitmap text, but also looks the best. gm needs a separate binary for GraphicsMagick or ImageMagick, but it doesn't have all the APIs implemented. Sharp is the fastest, but it also requires that text be a SVG definition, which is problematic when the text needs to line wrap.

Then I need to add an UI that allows the user to set the font, font size, font color, background, position, and alignment. It's a lot of work that, as individual pieces are easy enough to do, but I'm still figuring out the best way to combine it all together.

Is it possible to adopt this also to other aircrafts?

Yes, anything that's supported by DCS BIOS can be used by the Stream Deck. Eventually I will have the UI done, which will allow the end user to set it up themselves.

Edited by Ranma13

Agreed. When this is done, it'll be major. Even without using Ranma's stuff (I'm holding out for the UI), I've used it as the L-39s weapon panel, the Mirage's data panel and the A10s UFC. The device itself is great. Ranma's tool will make it a necessity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In case anyone missed it. The latest software from Elgato now allows for multiple key commands with a single button.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

I want that and I want to buy it from you because I like what you have to offer. But really to make this a viable, for sale, product you need to make an installer.

You stated this is a work in progress. Are you close to making a final or consumer release?

There IS a market for this sort of thing.

I might even consider a yearly subscription if you update it with new air frames as DCS releases them.

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

I need, I need, I need... What about my wants? QuickSilver original.

"Off with his job" Mr Burns on the Simpsons.

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Edited by ZQuickSilverZ

"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You stated this is a work in progress. Are you close to making a final or consumer release?

Not close. I'm making progress, but it's slow because I'm doing it on my free time, which I split between various games, my family, and this project. It will be a ways out. That said, it's good to know that there's interest in the project, which motivates me more to get it done sooner. I just don't want to make any promises or give a timeline, since I have none in mind.

Not close. I'm making progress, but it's slow because I'm doing it on my free time, which I split between various games, my family, and this project. It will be a ways out. That said, it's good to know that there's interest in the project, which motivates me more to get it done sooner. I just don't want to make any promises or give a timeline, since I have none in mind.
Let me put it another way, do you intend on selling this as a product? My only concern is development time exceeding the lifetime of the product model.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Need help with the development?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Romiko Derbynew

---------------------------------------------------------------

Intel® Core i5-9600K CPU @ 4.8GHz

Corsair Vengeance XMP 32GB - CMW32GX4M4C3000C15

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Gamzing Z 8GB

MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC Motherboard

NZXT H500 Case

EVGA 650W P2 Power Supply

NH U12S CPU Cooler - 2 fans

2 Inlet fans - Noctua

2 outlet fans - Noctua

Need help with the development?

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not quite at the point where anyone can really help, since I'm still working out the feature set and architecture of the app.

Is there anyway to make the Elgato software see left versus right shift etc. Seems it sees them the same?

With the official app, no. My app will be able to differentiate between the two (the Ka-50 library already does, it uses a fork of RobotJS that adds in the right-side modifier keys).