Does Hyperthreading reduce DCS performance? - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #41
Headwarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitMaster View Post
From what i read, early reviews and leaks etc.., the 8700k will just beat the 9700k in Multitasking by a few %. Those 2 are quite similar at the bottom line.

Either way, I would not buy any CPU w/o HT or SMT, time will come when it matters in DCS.
I'm honestly quite curious how the 9600K is going to compare to the 8600K. I wouldn't be caught off guard if they were pretty similar, just one not requiring a delid to achieve extreme clockspeeds with reasonable temps.
Win 10 pro 64bit i7 8700k @ 4.9ghz (all cores) - EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, 16GB DDR 4 3200 16CAS, 970 Evo 250Gb boot drive, pny 480gb sata 3 SSDx2, 4TB HDD - Acer Predator x34 (3440x1440@100hz), Samsung Odyssey WMR, - Peripherals = msffb2 for heli/prop planes, warthog (for jets), -Warthog throttle, Logitech G13, MFG Crosswinds
Headwarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:35 PM   #42
BitMaster
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headwarp View Post
I'm honestly quite curious how the 9600K is going to compare to the 8600K. I wouldn't be caught off guard if they were pretty similar, just one not requiring a delid to achieve extreme clockspeeds with reasonable temps.

exactly what I think, refined and easier to use
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3200/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #43
Tinkickef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrazen View Post
Sure, but those are small things I consider negible, I don't run MSI Afterburner or anything in the background so it wasn't a focus point for me, but ofcourse, I just didn't mention it because it wasn't meant to be a full explanation post

Yeah I didn't include to mention "the math" cause I didn't want to repeat all thr details what I already wrote about in that thread.

Secondly I many times write things in general but use the quote as a helper for a point or two, not everything I wrote was aimed as a reply to your specific case.

I'm talking about my own case where I have 4 cores, there's little difference except the % math in the total CPU utilization, it's again a "insert specific case number", which I didn't feel was that important to do as again I'm talking in general half the time. I would have done it if I wasn't busy these days.

I wasn't giving CPU purchasing advice, I thought it was pretty obvious (after all in that thread) that if you have a quad core you'll be a bit better off than dual-core, I was focusing on whether DCS is dual or more threaded, those extra little threads aren't significant so I just ignore them, plus not sure if those run async maybe they have to wait for stuff in the main. Unless more significant components are split and actually run async, like 10-20% speed up then we could start saying more about that, and mainly if they affect FPS, that's what mostly was my test, if it affects FPS (up in the right corner in the video), that said, a large part is still going to be single threaded for the forseeable future, and the use of this "multithreaded" moniker is so ridicolous for so many reasons.
Well I found your post informative Worrazen. I'm one of those who thought TaskManager was telling the truth, load spreading for temp control ect; and based a lot of advice posts on the back of it in the past.

After reading your post, I now realise I do not know enough to be offering sound advice to others and should keep quiet.

So your post has at least one positive..... it has stopped me from embarrassing myself further.
System spec: i7 4790k, mainboard - Asus Z97 pro gamer, Asus Dual OC 2080TI, 32GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 RAM, Samsung evo 850 boot ssd, Crucial MX500 dedicated Oculus Driver and DCS storage SSD, Seagate 1TB hybrid drive for other stuff, Oculus Rift, warthog, crosswind, Buttkicker Gamer 2, dual Inatek 4port USB 3.0 expansion cards.
Tinkickef is offline   Reply With Quote