Moving the DCS World folder to a new PC

Django

I want to avoid having to re-download 2.5(OB) for my new PC build.

# My DCS World install history:

1.5.8 -> 1.5.8(Final) + 2.5(OB) on a Win7 PC.

# The new PC will be Win10.

# DCS World will be on a separate physical drive in the new PC.

Q1) Will it be possible to copy the Eagle Dynamics folder on my old PC to the drive I will be using in the new PC, then after I've installed Windows 10 on the new PC, simply run the DCS World installer and point it to the copied install folder?

Q2) Given my DCS World install history, are there any dependencies between the 1.5.8(Final) and 2.5(OB) installs that would prevent me from just copying one of the DCS World folders to the new PC.

Q3) Any other housekeeping?

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |

Iirc you should disable it before moving it then copy it over and then reenable it on the new machine might work because of so many changes in components.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Just disable all the modules under the module manager.

Then copy the whole eagle dynamics folder with beta and stable over to the new PC

No need at all to run any installer, you can run a clean and repair or use the Updater GUI Utility

Then reset your desktop links from each bin folder and launch.

Any install (As many as you want anywhere) can be changed to any version at anytime, best way to manage installs is to use Skatezilla'a DCS Updater GUI Utility

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Don't forget to back up any useful stuff from Saved Games location as well (your controller assignments, logbook, custom missions etc.).

^ this is very important

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

In the end I didn't move the DCS folders to a new PC but did have to do a Windows reinstall for other reasons. So the sims are on the same hard drive.

# For 1.5.8 I ran the updater successfully but there is no sound in the sim.

# For 2.5-OB the cleanup ran successfully but the repair failed with the error message "Version 2.5.2.17559.377 is not available". The sim does run but there is no sound.

Q4) Should I use the gui utility to update to the latest 2.5-OB version?

Q5) Why is there no sound?

Edited by Django

Regards, Django.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

So I've managed to update to 2.5-OB v2.2.20143 but still no sound, any ideas???

Regards, Django.

I would believe the sound issue is a win/sound card driver problem

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I know this is the long way to do it, but wouldn't the safest way be to just install DCS on your new rig by downloading it, then moving/copying the folders you want to keep, like control profiles and skins, etc? this is a serious question, I am planning a build for next spring and will need to move/load DCS onto my new rig when it happens!

• 1 year later...

I have a question which appears to have been answered. I am setting up a brand new computer. I was planning to reinstall DCS and hopefully move over my profiles for my keybindings to the new computer.

After reading this thread it seems that instead of a fresh install I could copy the DCS folder to the new computer and deactivate the modules first.

Thanks in advance