TORNADO

Xilon_x

is there any project in progress?

Well, there have been many claims of projects by various 3rd parties:

The first ones were VEAO, who said they would be interested into making the Tornado GR.1 after the Eurofighter, but they also said they have no concrete plans yet. That was between 2012 and 2016, before VEAO stepped back from all their DCS development besides the HAWK and the Kittyhawk.

Polychop Simulations announced in 2015 that they are in negotiations with the Panavia Aircraft GmbH, the company (a subsidary of others) that develeoped and produced the Tornado. Haven't heard anything about it since then.

Then there's RAZBAM who claimed that they're already working on a Tornado for DCS and have even showed an early 3D-mesh in 2016, but I haven't heard much more about it either.

My highest hopes are actually with Heatblur, because they said they're working on a new jet, that will make good use of their own tech, which is:

- JESTER AI for multicrew jets (Tomcat)

- A-G mapping radar (Viggen)

- Thrust reverse (Viggen)

- Variable sweep wing (Tomcat)

All this applies to the Tornado as well, and the Tornado is one of the most named candidates in the speculation thread for Heatblurs next aircraft.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

+1 on the above logic, would seem to be a good fit.

I guess the real question is less about technical capability to build, more about licensing and IP on complex systems, which the Brits seem far less comfortable releasing than say the US

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

+1 on the above logic, would seem to be a good fit.

I guess the real question is less about technical capability to build, more about licensing and IP on complex systems, which the Brits seem far less comfortable releasing than say the US

Well, it's not just about the brits in this case. The Tornados is as much a german and an italian aircraft as it is a british aircraft. But yeah, if we get a Tornado for DCS it will probably be the old oroginal cold war variant rather than one of the modernised ones.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

VEAO.....comon......they should be banned from planet earth....shame on them shame shame shame!!!!

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I wonder how much of it is a rights issue. Panavia was a limited time consortium between multiple aircraft companies, so there may be some question as to who owns the IP rights. Is it Panavia? Did the rights revert back to all of the subsidiary companies? Does the fact that these are different companies in different countries affect the legalities (although you would think that they'd all be operating under the same IP laws due to the EU)?

Hopefully that's not going to be a problem, because otherwise the Tornado would be a perfect fit for DCS, as it's old enough to be close to exiting service, but recent enough to offer some complex systems.

If you look at what the Brits did with GR4 and what they are doing with Eurofighter, you might understand why it could be a BAE/MOD secret thing rather than Panavia. The partner nations invest in different things for their political aims, Germany doesnt really do expeditionary AG so didnt do GR4, their Eurofighter is way behind the UK in many capabilities. UK made the ADV of the Tornado as it wasnt contemplating dog fighting due to the distance over water, not sure what Germany did but ADV was only British AFAIK. Also zee Germans and Italians did an EW version of the Tornado.

Paveway 4 and Brimstone with their targetting pods are all proven on the Tonka for the RAF which will/are making their way onto the Tiffy for the RAF. So those updated UK Tornado systems are still current as they fly on in 5th Generation, obviously the Tiffy systems will evolve and the GR4 ones will become obsolete.

You could probably get a GR1 or 1st batch Tonka, IDS?? Not sure if GR1 is a UK designation and IDS was the common but I want GR4, I bought the FLiR Fairings for every one on behalf of the MOD and loved it setting off every car alarm on takeoff!

Also, I worked at BAe and not sure how much info is needed to make a commercial simulator, at the end of the day they are a commercial business, everyone complains how expensive F-35 is, well guess what, industry doesnt have teams of engineers and commercial people with thorough knowledge of IP, commercial in confidence, ITAR and all the lovely things needed to help a 3rd party developer just sat around, they are pretty lean.

Perhaps if the UK cut the Red Arrows they could employ a couple of people to help DCS and third parties to develop virtual platforms as advertising, but if there isnt at least a decent figure of Return on Investment, you would be hard to get someone!

Of course, as the DCS platform grows, perhaps they will outsource some of that simulation to DCS as is their military side of the business, synthetic training is bloody big business, the more accurate you get it, the less time you need pilots using very expensive flying hours!

Edited by Mr_Burns

I wonder how much of it is a rights issue. Panavia was a limited time consortium between multiple aircraft companies, so there may be some question as to who owns the IP rights. Is it Panavia? Did the rights revert back to all of the subsidiary companies? Does the fact that these are different companies in different countries affect the legalities (although you would think that they'd all be operating under the same IP laws due to the EU)?

Hopefully that's not going to be a problem, because otherwise the Tornado would be a perfect fit for DCS, as it's old enough to be close to exiting service, but recent enough to offer some complex systems.

Well, the Panavia company still exists and still manages the Tornado system in general. The company is beeing held by Airbus Defence and Space (42,5%), BAE Systems (42,5%) and Leonardo (15%).

Tornado3 small.jpg

It's a good thing if you ask me, it means there's a market for it. :)

I'd love to see the IDS/ECR version in the game.

IDS would bring in a few new weapons and systems like the Brimstone, Storm Shadow, JP233, TIALD and RAPTOR aerial reconnaissance pod.

Most of these things are only available with modern versions of the Tornado IDS (e.g. GR.4) and it is unlikely that such a modern version will be made for DCS. It is much more likely that we will get the old classic Cold War Tornado IDS, which does not have most of these features.

Tornado3 small.jpg

How many WIP RAZBAM does?

F-15E, MiG-19, MiG-23...now TORNADO.

Its pretty cool :thumbup:, but with so many projects, when at least one will be ready?

Im confused...

You forgot the Super Tucano and the Falkland Island map ;)

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...