Structural damage/hard landings

Eagle7907

Granted, EA, but it seems like both the Hornet and Viper invincible when it comes to poor airmanship. Currently you can pancake the Viper in a stall starting at 200’ above the runway with no recourse. Not even a blown tire. I imagine the Hornet may be a bit forgiving, but when doing these drastic tests, it seems like the simulation of damage is far from over. Has anyone else had different result?

Am I crazy/don’t know what I’m talking about or is this something in the works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Havent testet it lately but i remember blowne tires at least in the F-16.

Cant remember what exactly caused this anymore.

Maybe thats changed in the meantime but since you can have blowne tires in every Plane i tried so far i think it will be added or fixed if it currently doesnt work.

The Hornet in DCS is indeed incredbile forgiving when it comes to hard landings, but with the Viper I always have to be careful not to blow my tires on takeoff with a heavy loadout.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Structural damage/hard landings

I see. So damage is implemented for tire separation, but not for anything else.

Yet?

I’m surprised the Hornet is so deep in development that these items are yet to be implemented. (Shrug)

Funny how the recent roadmap doesn’t even mention this for the Hornet.

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet Features Roadmap 2020

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=74365&share_tid=276224&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Eeagle%2Eru%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D276224&share_type=t&link_source=app

Just wondering if developers are even going to simulate damage from abuse? Like I said before, I know the Hornet can take the additional abuse, but it sure isn’t invincible IRL.

Edited by Eagle7907

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

The Hornet has a far more rugged gear, given that it is designed to land on carriers. And a carrier landing isn't so much a landing, more like an "arrival".

I have bent and damaged the gear, and had popped tires plenty of times in the Hog, which itself is a more stout aircraft than the Viper. Admittingly, most of the gear and tire damage on the Hog was my own doing from being a bit ham fisted on landings, more so than combat damage, especially early on when learning the Hog.

Now that this topic was brought up, I never realized that I've hardly ever damaged the gear on my Viper, if at all.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

I have hit the deck hard a few times in the F-16, and the biggest issue for me is how easy it is to veer and tip. I did hear a thunk one day, and with no caution lights I decided to continue the flight. As soon as I pulled a turn, something broke off. On landing, same issue. Keeping it on the runway is a white knuckle experience. I haven't learned to flare my landings yet. That's next on the list.

I have hit the deck hard a few times in the F-16, and the biggest issue for me is how easy it is to veer and tip. I did hear a thunk one day, and with no caution lights I decided to continue the flight. As soon as I pulled a turn, something broke off. On landing, same issue. Keeping it on the runway is a white knuckle experience. I haven't learned to flare my landings yet. That's next on the list.

The Viper is very easy to tip, but that stems from it’s design. The L/G has a very narrow wheelbase, and the C/G is above the wheels. Turning to fast and/or too sharp will put it on it’s side. If you have a 90° turn, it’s good practice to slow to 10-15 kts before turning. That’s good practice in most aircraft as it helps in not excessively side loading the gear.

For flaring, if your on speed and AoA, watch your radar altimeter, at 50’ AGL throttle down and gently pull up. Bring the boresight cross a few degrees above the horizon line and the mains will touch down first. Rudder to maintain directional control and use elevator to maintain the boresight cross 10°-12° for aerodynamic braking until speed bleeds down and you can’t keep the nose up anymore. Be careful not to bring the nose up too high or you’ll scrape the engine nozzle on the ground. Engage NWS below 50 kts. The thing that clicked for me was at the flare to pay attenttion to the boresight cross and not the velocity vector.

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

For flaring, if your on speed and AoA, watch your radar altimeter, at 50’ AGL throttle down and gently pull up. Bring the boresight cross a few degrees above the horizon line and the mains will touch down first. Rudder to maintain directional control and use elevator to maintain the boresight cross 10°-12° for aerodynamic braking until speed bleeds down and you can’t keep the nose up anymore. Be careful not to bring the nose up too high or you’ll scrape the engine nozzle on the ground. Engage NWS below 50 kts. The thing that clicked for me was at the flare to pay attenttion to the boresight cross and not the velocity vector.

This is the point of my post, the procedure you just described is correct in it’s entirety. However, my point was what if a player didn’t follow what you just described. It seems you can land the Viper like the Hornet without penalty, which to me is not realistic. I even did a more drastic measure of beginning flare 200, 400 feet above the runway.

The Hornet @ 200’, without surprise rolled away without a scrape. Viper, the same not even a blown tire for both.

@400’ Hornet had severe damage to tail from me trying to limit as much forward velocity as possible. Viper exploded on impact.

This does raise some question as to how accurate is the damage model for the Viper going to be? Is it going to be a copy/paste of Hornet or will it be realistic and be accurate to its own limitations?

This is the point of my post, the procedure you just described is correct in it’s entirety. However, my point was what if a player didn’t follow what you just described. It seems you can land the Viper like the Hornet without penalty, which to me is not realistic. I even did a more drastic measure of beginning flare 200, 400 feet above the runway.

The Hornet @ 200’, without surprise rolled away without a scrape. Viper, the same not even a blown tire for both.

@400’ Hornet had severe damage to tail from me trying to limit as much forward velocity as possible. Viper exploded on impact.

This does raise some question as to how accurate is the damage model for the Viper going to be? Is it going to be a copy/paste of Hornet or will it be realistic and be accurate to its own limitations?

Oh, I agree with you. It took me a while to get the timing and technique correct for the flare. I've planted the Viper hard quite a bit before I got the hang of it. Have done the same with the Hog after I got it a few years ago. I've collapsed the gear on the Hog (nose gear once, and either main several times), and have bent it as well to the point that it wouldn't retract. Not to mention quite a few blown tires.

Other than a tire, I have yet to damage the gear on the Viper on landing. And the Viper's gear is likely not as sturdy as the Hog, and definitely nowhere near what the Hornet has.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg