DCS F-16 questions

Vinny002

Yeap, thanks, think that is the problem, was not confirming the ICP coordinates. but, do i have to wait 8mins? won't be ready in 4?

A full normal align takes 8 mins, stored heading align takes 2 mins roughly.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about the external centerline tank? i add one but when i move the switch to EXT CTR it always shows 0 fuel, is this normal?

I presume you mean on the analog fuel gauge, when you select EXT CTR one of the two needles in that gauge will read your fuel level the other will go to zero. Take the reading from the highest of the two needles.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Hi

All preconfigured loadouts in DCS and also on real life pictures visible, the Vipers carry the AIM-120 on station 1 and 9, the 9X on station 2 and 8.

Why is this?

Wouldn't it be better to have the lighter missiles on the most outward stations?

Is there a reason behind this?

DCS Rafale - please :thumbup:

Hi

All preconfigured loadouts in DCS and also on real life pictures visible, the Vipers carry the AIM-120 on station 1 and 9, the 9X on station 2 and 8.

Why is this?

Wouldn't it be better to have the lighter missiles on the most outward stations?

Is there a reason behind this?

Discussed at length here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=241142 ;)

In short: The main reason seems to be to reduce wing flutter:

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Guys, question for you, what is a jet fuel starter exactly, and how does it start the f-16 engine? Thanks! Cheers, Vincent.

It is a single compression stage, single spool, centrifugal flow small jet engine use to start the F-16.

How does it start the engine? short answer

It starts it through the Accessory Drive Gearbox (ADG).

Long winded answer

With the battery switch in main, when the pilots moves the JFS switch to Start 1 or Start 2 will send a signal to the controller. Depending on the year, this could be the Engine Start System (ESS) Controller or the Digital Engine Start System Controller (DESSC). Now the ESS/DESSC send a signal to the JFS Door control valve. This will open the JFS doors ( in other words the JFS intake and exhaust). Once the JFS doors are open, they will compress the door switch, sending a signal to the ESS/DESSC that it can start the JFS. The ESS/DESSC will then open the Hydraulic Solenoid valves. If start 1 was use, only one valve. If start 2, both of them. This will send pressure from the Brake/JFS accumulator, through the JFS start hydraulic manifold, to the Hydraulic Start Motor (HSM). The HSM will then spin the JFS and JFS fuel control (fuel control is like a pump). Once ESS/DESSC detect the JFS rotation through the JFS speed sensor, it will progressively control JFS ignition and acceleration to 100% through the ignition exciter and JFS fuel valves. At 100%, the JFS solenoid valve ( called clutch servo) "engages" the JFS side of the ADG to the rest of the gearbox, allowing the JFS to spin the main engine through the Power Take Off (PTO) Shaft. The JFS run light should come on within 30 seconds of start switch being move to either start 1 or start 2. JFS run time should not exceed 4 minutes on the ground. Once pilot move throttle to idle, the max power JFS fuel valve opens, accelerating JFS to 110%. When the main engine (in the block 50 would be the F110-GE-129) reaches 54% RPM, JFS should disengage and begin the shutdown processes. JFS shut down is basically fuel valve are close until JFS shuts down.

This won't be a complete account, since there are a lot of variation on the JFS system. For example, in the late 1990 the JFS was normally change every 500 flight hours, by 2012 this was change to over 1500 hours, proving the reliability changes on the system.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Page 27 of the manual describes the PFLD. Only information from Pilot Fault List (PFL) are displayed there

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

As this seems to be a "general questions" thread, I suppose hijacking is not an issue here.

Just recently stepped into the Viper again, after not touching it since release. Currently trying to operate the tpod. 2 questions:

Can someone tell me how to recenter the tpod after slowing it?

If I recenter, will my waypoint on the hsi also go to its original position?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

As this seems to be a "general questions" thread, I suppose hijacking is not an issue here.

Just recently stepped into the Viper again, after not touching it since release. Currently trying to operate the tpod. 2 questions:

Can someone tell me how to recenter the tpod after slowing it?

If I recenter, will my waypoint on the hsi also go to its original position?

Keep in mind the weapons system level of working progress, for me in Open Beta version 2.5.5.41962, to recenter the TGP to the waypoint, I switch from CCRP to CCIP and the back to CCRP using the NWS/AR disconnect/missile step switch on the HOTAS. You have to press it longer than .5 sec (IIRC) in Air to Ground mode to switch delivery.

I would venture to guess this won't be the final version, just the way it works in OB 2.5.5.41962.

To whom it may concern,

Keep in mind the weapons system level of working progress, for me in Open Beta version 2.5.5.41962, to recenter the TGP to the waypoint, I switch from CCRP to CCIP and the back to CCRP using the NWS/AR disconnect/missile step switch on the HOTAS. You have to press it longer than .5 sec (IIRC) in Air to Ground mode to switch delivery.

I would venture to guess this won't be the final version, just the way it works in OB 2.5.5.41962.

Ah thanks, sounds like a good work around :thumbup:

I guess it's still too early to try and "learn" the Viper, considering its current state

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Hold on, I am full off it. I just tried in NTTR and it did not work. I guess we need to wait for the systems to advance. The main thing do not press TMS aft, since the pod will center to the HUD and move the waypoint with it. I guess you can try that and then re-enter the waypoint original lat/long but I did not try that.

To whom it may concern,

Guess it's back to dumb bombs for now then ;)

I assume that irl, waypoints don't move when you slew the tpod anyway :P

Edited by sirrah
Typo

System specs:

Guess it's back to dumb bombs for now then ;)

I assume that irl, waypoints don't move when you slow the tpod anyway :P

Waypoints can, just depends what your doing, for example position updates. But non of that is in DCS currently on Open Beta version 2.5.5.41962.

Anyway:

I just tried again in NTTR, open beta 2.5.5.41962

Lets say you press TMS aft with the TGP as SOI in CCRP. The TGP will move the waypoint to the HUD. Switching to CCIP ( pressing NWS less than .5 second, not more like I erroneously posted) and re-entering the waypoint coordinates is the only way I see right now to recenter the waypoint. After re-entering the coordinate and switching to CCRP the TGP should go back to the correct waypoint location.

Edited by mvsgas
spelling

To whom it may concern,

Is there a way to override the AoA limiter? My guess was the manual pitch override but it doesn't seem to do anything at high speeds. Overspeeding the Viper is a real issue and if you let it go too far there's no way to avoid a crash.

Nope. It's there for a reason, because of the aircrafts divergent nature in pitch, above the AoA limit the aircraft departs from controlled flight and rather enjoys flying backwards.

Manual pitch override is for getting the aircraft out of the deep stall/falling leaf/flat spin that usually follows once you somehow overcome the AoA limiter. You have to hold the MPO switch on and then rock the nose up and down like a swing in order to get it back under the AoA limit and get it flying again.

Proud owner of: