The DCS Updater / Launcher GUI Utility Version 2.0 (2023+)

Home tab, select a build sim slot, right click on it.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

@SkateZilla I may have found an issue with the utility and SimAppPro. Ive been having literal nightmares loading DCS up since the last SimApp update this weekend and Ive narrowed it down to selecting my profiles. Im not sure what exactly is causing it, but it hasnt been giving me ANY issues whatsoever until this past weekend, and now I cant use any profiles whatsoever without my computer freezing up hard.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

2 hours ago, zhaohaob88 said:

The interface of the new version is really too cluttered, for people like me who are not good at English, I have been looking for 30 minutes now, and I still can't find a place to load the dcs path   555555555

Here image.png

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

On 12/30/2023 at 1:08 AM, diamond26 said:

Here image.png

The buttons were replaced with context menu in the last update.

Right Click the Build Button to bring up the menu.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Just a quick blurb..

I do know there's still several issues with preset editor (and German Locale especially), 

Work continues on revising and re-writing the functions, but over the last 2 months I have been working 12-18 hr shifts every day. 

Once work calms down and I get more time off I will continue to develop these functions as well as others.

I haven't gone radio silent I promise.

• Like 4

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Sorry if this has been asked before: is there as way to launch DCS "as Administrator"? I have set the DCS.EXE to run as administrator but if I launch the game through this utility, it seems that it does not do so.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

44 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Sorry if this has been asked before: is there as way to launch DCS "as Administrator"? I have set the DCS.EXE to run as administrator but if I launch the game through this utility, it seems that it does not do so.

move the install directory to somewhere not in program files and you shouldn't have to run it as admin... 

but if you must then Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create | Tutorials (sevenforums.com)  will mean you can run pretty much any program as admin , i don't use it for DCS, but there are some programs that do actually require it.

• Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

if the App is launched as Administrator, then any child process it launches should also be Admin Processes shouldnt it ?

• Like 1

Is anyone aware of a setting in this installer that is causing these 3D model pointers to be showing up in sim?

This is the first I am having this issue.

I am only seeing them in the non-multi thread version which I have to use to avoid stuttering issues which seem to be plaguing 2.9 at the moment.

Any ideas?

-Tom

Screenshot 2024-01-10 181509.png

Edited by Snowbird
sig1b.jpg

Hi @Snowbird -Tom. It looks like you are using a Custom Made Module (CT-114 Tutor created by Grinnelli Designs).   

• Are you getting the 3D Model pointers in any other modules or just the CT-114? 
  • The only other time I can remember seeing anything similar was when there was a Module Conflict - Try uninstalling other MODS or backup/Rename your Saved Games\DCS.openbeta folder and see how DCS works when it has to create a new one. 

Got to love those old Tutor Jets... seen them many-many times during CNE Air Shows. 

Cheers. 

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Is there an option in the app, or a way to automatically select a certain GFX config setting based on if the game is launched in VR or not?

Example: If I launch in 2D, I want to use my Custom Preset #1 (from in-game GUI), but if I launch in VR, I want it to use Custom Preset #3.

Cheers

Rig: intel i9-9900kf @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming

You need to go via the official one first because this app needs an install to work. The updater in the app is just a link to the updater in your install directory. If that isn't there, the app can't do it's job.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

On 1/13/2024 at 1:57 PM, PunchOut said:

Is there an option in the app, or a way to automatically select a certain GFX config setting based on if the game is launched in VR or not?

Example: If I launch in 2D, I want to use my Custom Preset #1 (from in-game GUI), but if I launch in VR, I want it to use Custom Preset #3.

Cheers

There currently isn't a public command to launch DCS directly to any of the internal (Preset 1,2,3) presets within DCS, which is why the app uses external presets.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 1:57 PM, PunchOut said:

Cheers

Not currently, it was part of the old app (forcing VR Preset when Launched in VR), but received a lot of feedback/requests to remove such a forced setting.

20 hours ago, 4romeodelta said:

Hey folks,

When I tried to install Skate's DCS Updater Utility I got this message and wasn't sure if I should ignore it and continue. Any advice? 

image.png

Open Notepad, put anything in the box, Save as ED Updater Utility v2.log in the path above, 

There was a special scenario bug that would cause exception because it was trying to write to a file that didnt exist before the function to create the file was executed.

It's been adjusted internally and should make the next build.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Not currently, it was part of the old app (forcing VR Preset when Launched in VR), but received a lot of feedback/requests to remove such a forced setting.

Open Notepad, put anything in the box, Save as ED Updater Utility v2.log in the path above, 

There was a special scenario bug that would cause exception because it was trying to write to a file that didnt exist before the function to create the file was executed.

It's been adjusted internally and should make the next build.

Thanks SkateZilla!  The installation worked. Is there documentation available?  I am not sure what to do next. My primary goal is to be able to launch DCS in either VR or 2D mode without the hassle of launching, changing VR settings, and relaunching. 

I appreciate your help. Have a great weekend. 

No doc but here's a starter:

1: Right click in one of the Sim Build Slots and set the paths to your DCS installation (possible that the app does this automatic, can't remember).
2: Select a Preset which you want to launch (you can change these preset settings by selecting a preset, launch the game, set what you want and quit. Next time you select that preset, it will launch with your chosen settings).
3: Choose either Multi-Threading ON or OFF.
4: Hit either the top LAUNCH button to launch with your selected preset or hit either LAUNCH VR ON or LAUNCH VR OFF to launch DCS with your selected preset but with VR on or off.

Tip: Don't touch Option Preset Editor for your presets. It will mess things up.

image.png

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 4romeodelta said:

Thanks SkateZilla!  The installation worked. Is there documentation available?  I am not sure what to do next. My primary goal is to be able to launch DCS in either VR or 2D mode without the hassle of launching, changing VR settings, and relaunching. 

I appreciate your help. Have a great weekend. 

As Stated, no Docs,

Manual was started and paused, as during the post launch revisions, things started changing, so manual was put on hold until the changes were finished, the will be an online manual (or an embedded one, not quite sure at this point which route I want to go.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Skatezilla, thank you again for your amazing work. This utility has been a ripper.

I was wondering if you can give a guide to what we will need to do when the Open Beta and Release versioning changes to one option only. Personally I can see I for one will save a ton of space, lol. but merging saves, mod directories etc does look a little daunting. Do you think it will be simpler to blow it all away and start afresh?  

Hi Skatezilla, thank you again for your amazing work. This utility has been a ripper.
I was wondering if you can give a guide to what we will need to do when the Open Beta and Release versioning changes to one option only. Personally I can see I for one will save a ton of space, lol. but merging saves, mod directories etc does look a little daunting. Do you think it will be simpler to blow it all away and start afresh?  

You probably don't have to do anything except merging the logbook Lua manually, (I already use the same for both,) unless ED provides a tool.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

On 2/15/2024 at 12:16 AM, GreyGamer said:

I'd Backup both Saved Games Folders \DCS.STABLE.BU\ and DCS.BETA.BU\,

Update to the latest Stable once Beta is discontinued, launch DCS to let it build a new saved games folder, then copy back items you need,
Specifically \Config\, and maybe \Scipts\, to begin with as that's were your settings and stored control bindings are and any customer scripts, which may or may not copy over without issue depending on USB device ID changes or binding changes, I recommend exporting controls to a file first, and try re-importing them back.

Then \Mods\ and other mod directories, etc.

then screenshots, and tracks etc can be easily merged, as the changes of filenames being the same in those folders are next to nil,

ignore the shaders\fxo folders and let the sim re-compile them fresh.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 2