Sling loading in VR

geert

I asked this already on the Belsimtek forum but figured I might get more response here.

Hi there,

In VR (rift), I can't see the sling loading indicator and the voice assist feature for the Mi8 is still only in Russian. Is the indicator working for anybody else in VR? Are those russian voices still being translated to US speech? I'm pretty sure sling loading is really cool and challenging in VR, hope to see it working someday! Thanks.

cheers

No indicator here, while in VR, with the UH-1. (not much needed though)

Do you mean that you don´t really need the indicator? I noticed that I find it hard to see if the cargo is right underneath the heli. Maybe more so with the Mi8. Can you do effective sling loading without the indicator?

Open the door and look down, maybe? I can't try it, as I'm on the road, but maybe?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Do you mean that you don´t really need the indicator? I noticed that I find it hard to see if the cargo is right underneath the heli. Maybe more so with the Mi8. Can you do effective sling loading without the indicator?

While approaching the cargo I look what's around the cargo to use it as reference. Typically something that you can keep at your 12 o'clock and another one at your 3 o'clock when you are over the cargo.

If I fail I go back until the cargo is on sight and double check/revise references.

I don't know if it is more difficult on the Mi-8, but I can hook the cargo without much problems with the UH-1 in VR.

Edited by average_pilot

Open the door and look down, maybe? I can't try it, as I'm on the road, but maybe?

I tried looking out the window a couple of times, feels natural in a way but in a large airframe it´s pretty much impossible to lean so far. And trying to look all the way down and properly control the heli, I find that very hard and disorienting sometimes, but fun in way.Try landing the gazelle for instance while only looking at the right skid.

While approaching the cargo I look what's around the cargo to use it as reference. Typically something that you can keep at your 12 o'clock and another one at your 3 o'clock when you are over the cargo.

If I fail I go back until the cargo is on sight and double check/revise references.

I don't know if it is more difficult on the Mi-8, but I can hook the cargo without much problems with the UH-1 in VR.

I might try that a couple of times maybe. I did manage to hook some cargo without the indicator, but it was much harder (especially in the mi8 ), I really need some kind of aid, maybe that voice function in the Mi8 would be enough, but it´s still only available in russian so still waiting for that. With the Mi8 it´s harder than the UH-1 in my opinion because your point of view is so far ahead of the cargo.

In VR aboard the UH1H:

While above the charge and stationary a message pops and points out that you are hover stationair above charge,If you move away a message points out also.

Thus you have to stay stationair above the charge and wait until a message say

"charge hooked".

that's all:)

Don't need any other indications,and it's close the real life.

Look at this video the messages upright.

http://cromhunt.proboards.com/thread/311/missions-dcs-helicopter

i have a server named"cromhunt"to show that if you need some explanation more or want to take a look,just advise me.

see you next:)

I tried looking out the window a couple of times, feels natural in a way but in a large airframe it´s pretty much impossible to lean so far. And trying to look all the way down and properly control the heli, I find that very hard and disorienting sometimes, but fun in way.Try landing the gazelle for instance while only looking at the right skid.

I was thinking about jumping to the door gunner position to take a peek. Maybe you can't lean that far out even in that position. But in real life, the crew chief gives out directions, so it must be doable.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

There is a mod which gives audio directions for sling loading. I haven't tried it in a while though.

I don't see any need for the graphic indicator in VR. Situational awareness is so much better it's relatively easy to know where the load is.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Hi Guys, I'm just trying out sling loading for the first time and using the rift. Is there anything other than hovering over the cargo at a certain height that is required to hook the cargo?

Flying the UH1H.

Cheers

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

Hi Guys, I'm just trying out sling loading for the first time and using the rift. Is there anything other than hovering over the cargo at a certain height that is required to hook the cargo?

Flying the UH1H.

Cheers

Select the cargo in the comms menu (F6). You have to be near the cargo for the option to appear. Once selected the cargo will be marked with colored smoke.

RCtrl+RShift+L when approaching the cargo

In VR aboard the UH1H:

While above the charge and stationary a message pops and points out that you are hover stationair above charge,If you move away a message points out also.

Thus you have to stay stationair above the charge and wait until a message say

"charge hooked".

that's all:)

Don't need any other indications,and it's close the real life.

Look at this video the messages upright.

http://cromhunt.proboards.com/thread/311/missions-dcs-helicopter

i have a server named"cromhunt"to show that if you need some explanation more or want to take a look,just advise me.

see you next:)

Thanks, but I was aware of that :) And I found that when looking down in the rift, that message can be a bit hard to see because it´s on top right corner.

Maybe I´m just a crappy pilot, but I still find it very hard without the indicator or any other help to easily do this. Mi8 much harder than Huey due to "largeness".

I was thinking about jumping to the door gunner position to take a peek. Maybe you can't lean that far out even in that position. But in real life, the crew chief gives out directions, so it must be doable.

Yeah, it´s those directions that I want. They are implemented in russian in the hip, but my russian is kinda rusty...

There is a mod which gives audio directions for sling loading. I haven't tried it in a while though.

I don't see any need for the graphic indicator in VR. Situational awareness is so much better it's relatively easy to know where the load is.

Well, like I said elsewhere, I guess I´m just a terrible pilot than. Could you please point me to that mod you mentioned? Cannot find it (russian language is already there in the hip).

If you lean to the left then re-centre you will find that when you straighten up you will be almost leaning out of the window as if it were open takes a little practice to get used to, and sometimes in the Huey its best performed in the co-pilot seat as he has a less obstructed view.

Eagles may soar high but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines.

System Spec.

Monitors: Samsung 570DX & Rift CV1

Mobo: MSI Godlike gaming X-99A

CPU: Intel i7 5930K @ 3.50Ghz

RAM: 32gb

GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti VR Ready

Cooling: Predator 360

Power Supply: OCZ ZX Series 80 Plus Gold

Drives: Samsung SSD's 1tb, 500g plus others with OS Win10 64 bit

Select the cargo in the comms menu (F6). You have to be near the cargo for the option to appear. Once selected the cargo will be marked with colored smoke.

RCtrl+RShift+L when approaching the cargo

Thanks Average - that did it.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

• 1 month later...

Sling loading in the Huey for the first time. Did not see message, but I had the doors open and leaned out and looking down I could see the cable connected. Super cool to lift off and see the cargo swinging below the chopper! Love it! Would be nice to have option for a crew bubble door window.

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

• 2 months later...

Managed this on both the huey and mi-8 mailnly by the message that comes up and with the mi-8 the instructions from the load master. Have had damaged cargo on lift a few times. Is this lifting too quick?

intel i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard, Asus strix 1080, Max flight stick(modded), MFG Crosswind pedals.

The voice assist in the Mi-8 is available in English - it is dependent on the chosen nationality when you create the mission. I do find that they're rather slow in calling out instructions, so you get 15 forwards, followed by 15 back and finding the sweet spot can be difficult though.

We could certainly do with this adding to the UH-1H too.

Using a linear reference to move overhead when sling loading means you just have to consider positioning in the forward/rear axis, which helps, but once you are overhead it is no easy task to hold position over a cargo you cannot see.

Ideally, the ability to lean out and look down would be my choice for a good fix.

Managed this on both the huey and mi-8 mailnly by the message that comes up and with the mi-8 the instructions from the load master. Have had damaged cargo on lift a few times. Is this lifting too quick?

Lifting too quick, or with lateral movement, that will drag the cargo across the ground.

You need to take up the slack first, then lift. So holding a hover accurately is essential.

Lifting too quick, or with lateral movement, that will drag the cargo across the ground.

You need to take up the slack first, then lift. So holding a hover accurately is essential.

Thanks for the input, i'll just have to be more careful lol

intel i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard, Asus strix 1080, Max flight stick(modded), MFG Crosswind pedals.

The voice assist in the Mi-8 is available in English - it is dependent on the chosen nationality when you create the mission. I do find that they're rather slow in calling out instructions, so you get 15 forwards, followed by 15 back and finding the sweet spot can be difficult though.

We could certainly do with this adding to the UH-1H too.

Using a linear reference to move overhead when sling loading means you just have to consider positioning in the forward/rear axis, which helps, but once you are overhead it is no easy task to hold position over a cargo you cannot see.

Ideally, the ability to lean out and look down would be my choice for a good fix.

With the mi8 we have the ability to look outside with "cargo view" key assign.