Navigation technologies in the Pacific Theater of Operations. - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-23-2020, 11:25 PM   #1
Tiger4-2

Default Navigation technologies in the Pacific Theater of Operations.

Hey guys,

So I posted this in the subreddit and nobody cared. I figured I'd try my luck here. So here goes...

I'm beyond excited for the Leatherneck F4U-1D release, as well as the Pacific Theater; I'm something of a wwii naval aviation fanatic.

Because of this I've been scouring the web for original flight training manuals and doing my best to emulate the training curriculum from the time period(Yes I'm that much of a nerd, and yes I found alot of goodies), starting with the N2S for primary/ground school and ending with the SNJ/AT-6 for Advanced flight training. It's been a truly eye opening and awesome experience immersing myself in training manuals and flight procedures, and one of the most interesting subjects thus far has been navigation.

I was able to locate a consolidated version of "Air Navigation parts 1-5, c. 1943", the textbook used by flight schools to train their aviators, and I've been thoroughly intrigued by what I've found.

Before the days of INS and TACAN, Naval Aviators had to be experts at navigating with the big 4:

1. Pilotage - Using terrain features such as roads and buildings.
2. Dead Reckoning - Method of finding position by using a compass heading and time in flight relative to a starting point.
3. Navigation by Radio - using the directional properties of radio waves to find position, such as VOR or the YE-ZB(Think early INS)
4. Celestial Navigation - using the heavenly bodies and a bubble sextant, along with plotting charts to determine your position.

So I suppose I just want to speculate for a moment...what do you guys think will be our options as far as navigation and getting back to the carrier, particularly at night? We already know that DCS has an accurate star-map, so implementing a sextant shouldn't be too hard(They already have them in X-Plane and FSX). Will we see the YE-ZB? What about the Mk3a plotter and whiz wheel used to find the carrier position on a map?

I'm curious to know what you guys think. Also if anyone has any links to good resources for textbooks, manuals, or other things which will benefit me in this endeavor, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also...I would literally finance an F6F myself if I could afford it. Can someone make this airplane before I have to learn to code and do it myself? Lol

Thanks and happy flying!
Tiger4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:07 AM   #2
Jester986

On the topic of the F6F theres some good news for you. Nick Grey has said it's his favorite Pacific theatre fighter, the fighter collection has one, and he said they will 100% make one. Only problem is it is likely many years away. ED hasn't announced any Pacific fighters being in any stage of development other than Mag3's Corsair.
Jester986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
AG-51_Razor

I asked about Hayrake (YE-ZB) a long time ago, back when just the P-51 was around and there was very little interest in it. I think that it would be even more important now that we are looking at the prospect of flying the Corsair off of a carrier in the Pacific. I really hope they model this!
Old 03-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
Tiger4-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG-51_Razor View Post
I asked about Hayrake (YE-ZB) a long time ago, back when just the P-51 was around and there was very little interest in it. I think that it would be even more important now that we are looking at the prospect of flying the Corsair off of a carrier in the Pacific. I really hope they model this!
Honestly sames. This game has soooo much potential, but right now my main gripes are that you can't just pull out a map and plot a course, given that you're on a 2D map rather than a 3D sphere such as x-plane or fsx/p3d.

I feel like the YE-ZB is a must unless they model some sort of plotting board.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #5
Tiger4-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester986 View Post
On the topic of the F6F theres some good news for you. Nick Grey has said it's his favorite Pacific theatre fighter, the fighter collection has one, and he said they will 100% make one. Only problem is it is likely many years away. ED hasn't announced any Pacific fighters being in any stage of development other than Mag3's Corsair.
That is great news! And hey, at least it's in the works, regardless of how far away it is.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #6
MAXsenna

Totally interesting subject!
I'd love to learn and do some real navigation!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
MAXsenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
twistking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXsenna View Post
Totally interesting subject!
I'd love to learn and do some real navigation!
I agree. I hope ED gives us everything needed to navigate the Pacific. I can imagine that finding the carrier with realsitic navigation only will be more challenging and exciting than the combat before that...
Old 03-26-2020, 07:14 PM   #8
MAXsenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistking View Post
I agree. I hope ED gives us everything needed to navigate the Pacific. I can imagine that finding the carrier with realsitic navigation only will be more challenging and exciting than the combat before that...
When the fuel gets low...

MAXsenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:41 AM   #9
Tiger4-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXsenna View Post
When the fuel gets low...

I live for it lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk