Could this build run a 3 screen matrix set up?

GazAce

Hey good Pilots, just wondering if this build would be adequate to fire up 3 x 34" screens as a matrix set up specifically for DCS and do the panels need to be curved? These specs for this build I knocked up at work and just tossing things around atm but the more I read and watch utube vids on this dyi computer the more I'm liking. Any suggestions or tips most welcome.

Cheers G :thumbup:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/GazAce/saved/JYymGX

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

Didn't we already do this? :lol:

Short answer is absolutely...but this is a "money is no object" build. If money is no object, then ignore the rest of this but based on your other posts I get the feeling you'd like to save a few dollars where you can.

For starters, I'm consistently seeing lower prices on NewEgg. Not sure what the shipping would be to you, but it's definitely worth checking. Processor is $50 AUD cheaper on NewEgg. RAM is $75 AUD cheaper.

You can safely downgrade the Ti...paying for the bleeding edge in graphics technology almost always nets you only a tiny performance gain for doubling an already substantial investment.

Ditto the processor...you're looking at the top of the heap at the moment, and I doubt you'd feel it much if you stepped back to 6th gen i7 and probably save another 50-100 dollars.

There is no need for an external sound card except in some very specific circumstances. You may notice a slight improvement in the quality of the audio signal if you are an audio-oriented individual, but it's not something most people will perceive or miss if it's not there. You mentioned you connect to a home theater system for 5.1 ; another thing to be very conscious of is whether your receiver has analog 5.1 inputs or Dolby Digital only optical connections. If you're digital only, you need to also be sure your sound card supports Dolby Digital Live or you will not be able to pass true 5.1 to your home theater system. I believe this is possible with Realtek onboard sound, and with the Creative X-Fi series in newer Windows versions but I haven't used it in some time.

32GB of RAM is nice, and something that you'll probably notice if you host in multiplayer or play huge missions with lots of units. but if you're looking to save a few bucks 16GB should be fine. RAM is arguably the easiest component to upgrade at a later time if you find it wanting with 16GB. Just pop a chip into a slot on the motherboard and power back on.

Liquid cooling is nice and quiet, but regular fans are pretty quiet these days as well and a lot cheaper. I have a standard heat sink and regular-ass boring fan on my i7 rig; the background noise in my house is consistently louder than the PC.

Most stuff in here could stand to be downgraded to save money if it's something you're interested in, while retaining completely acceptable DCS performance, even in triple screen. Though again, if money is no object, you've built a pretty serious machine there!

Should be top of the line for 3, 4 months easy. :lol:

Edited by feefifofum

I could buy two of my systems for that kind of money and have enough left over for a warthog controller and Trackir too. The specs are the same except for the GPU and I doubt it would make a huge difference. Use the same GPU and I could still get two systems without the Warthog.

$3600 for a system is nuts unless you like to throw away money.

Buzz

That motherboard already has a 1000Mbps ethernet connector built in, so you can drop the $45 ethernet connector.

Since you already have an ethernet connector, what do you need the WLAN adaptor for?

you picked a motherboard that supports M.2 SSD's. You can consider swapping out the 850 evo's for the 960 m.2 evo: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZNBrxr/samsung-960-evo-250gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v6e250. they're fairly easy to install.

The 4TB drive means you're going to have to format your drives in the EUFI format, and not in NTFS. It's most likely a non-issue, and will even boot faster. But EUFI has been midly problematic at times for me in the past.

You can probably get faster RAM for a similair amount of money. But faster RAM is going to require XMP profiles. It's usually fairly easy to work with, but up to you to decide if it's something you want to indulge yourself in.

The motherboard already supports sound, including 7.1 surround. The sound card is overkill, unless you produce music or have extreme audio demands.

With computer parts, something better is always just over the horizon. But with AMD having released Vega very recently, Nvidia might release their new Volta series of graphics card very soon. Allowing you to pick up some new hardware or get a better deal on the current gen material, unless you absolutely need that machine now.

Edited by Sryan
OP felt offended

Check my F-15C guide

Geez I shouldn't have asked but thanks Fee I appreciate those tips and I'll def check out Newegg but not sure they're here in Auz and that's vid is gold but seriously Sryan?? "Money seems not as much an issue to you as it is to most of us" like wt@!s with the personal crap man? As I clearly stated I was only throwin this around as an idea and I'm not going to go out tomorrow and buy this gear. My budget is 3k, big deal, it doesn't mean I'm wanting spend that. I was only checking things out, I love a bargain as much as the next guy and I saw builds on that site for 4, 5 and even 8k. Look, all I'm after is a system that will support a 3 screen set up and last me a few years without having to upgrade. Thanks anyway but I def won't bring this issue up again, I don't like painting a target on my back.

:: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K :: Asus ROG Strix Z790-A mobo :: Asus Tuff Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti :: NZXT Kraken Elite 280 RGB AIO white cooler :: G Skill Trident Z Royals DDR4 4x16GB = 64GB :: WD Black SN 850X NVMe SSD 2TB M.2 (C Drive) :: Samsung 860 Pro 2TB SATA (D Drive) :: Corsair Crystal 680X White Case :: Asus XG349C 34" Curve G-Sync 180Hz 3440x1440 Mon :: Corsair 850W PSU :: Virpil Constellation Alpha-R Stick with VPC WarBRD Base :: Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle :: 3 x CubeSim ext mini screens with TM Cougar MFD Bezels :: Asus ROG Pugio 503 Gaming Mouse & Razer BlackWidow mech kb :: TrackIR 5 Pro & Cap Clip :: Win 11 64 Bit 😉

whelp. I only sought to provide good advice. My apologies, I edited my post. My point was that M.2 SSD's are approximatly 40% more expensive per GB than SATA SSD's, but that the financial burden might not be an issue for you. In no way did I intend for it to be a personal attack.

Check my F-15C guide

Yeah anything over a $1000au (Inc shipping) coming into Australia well seazed at customs and we have to pay the 10% GST plus a handing fee. You'd have to do 4 shipments to get it all in. Then you have to get it back if anything is doa.

For stuff like this it's just not worth it.

GaZ, drop the sound card and the network card, pick higher speed ram and switch the 2 ssd for a single 500gb M.2. I'd also try for an 850 watt PSU got that right as there is alot of power there especially if you want to OC. Power fluctuations are the biggest cause of instability in PC system's. Shop around a bit more mate, some of those prices are bit high.

Cheers

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Work :- Microsoft Surface Book | i7 | 16 GB Ram | 512 GB SSD | GeForce 965 2GB

Gaming :- AMD Threadripper 1950 X | Asus Zenith Extreme | 32 GB G-skill 14D 3200 MHz GTZ Ram | Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB NVMe | Gigabyte Aurora 1080Ti Extreme | SoundBlaster Recon 3D Fatal1ty | Enermax LiqTech 360 TR4 | EVGA 1600w G2 | Corsair Cosmos II | Phillips BDM4350UC | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick and Throttle | FSSB R3 Warthog Base | Slaw BF-109 Rudder Pedals | Track IR 5 | HTC Vive Pro Kit

GazAce

MSY has a 15% off deal at the moment.

http://edm.msy.com.au/dreampc.pdf

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Work :- Microsoft Surface Book | i7 | 16 GB Ram | 512 GB SSD | GeForce 965 2GB

Gaming :- AMD Threadripper 1950 X | Asus Zenith Extreme | 32 GB G-skill 14D 3200 MHz GTZ Ram | Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB NVMe | Gigabyte Aurora 1080Ti Extreme | SoundBlaster Recon 3D Fatal1ty | Enermax LiqTech 360 TR4 | EVGA 1600w G2 | Corsair Cosmos II | Phillips BDM4350UC | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick and Throttle | FSSB R3 Warthog Base | Slaw BF-109 Rudder Pedals | Track IR 5 | HTC Vive Pro Kit

whelp. I only sought to provide good advice. My apologies, I edited my post. My point was that M.2 SSD's are approximatly 40% more expensive per GB than SATA SSD's, but that the financial burden might not be an issue for you. In no way did I intend for it to be a personal attack.[/quote

whelp. I only sought to provide good advice. My apologies, I edited my post. My point was that M.2 SSD's are approximatly 40% more expensive per GB than SATA SSD's, but that the financial burden might not be an issue for you. In no way did I intend for it to be a personal attack.

All good Sryan and thank you for posting that man, I appreciate it and I'm sorry for snapping as well. Down here in Auz we say "no worries mate" kinda means all cool. I'm really just an average dude, a little out there perhaps with a colourful past but now just your everyday 56 year old slightly bohemian public servant who rents. This is my first build and it's stressed me out a tad as I don't know enough about it. Anyway without holding hands an singing Kum Bai Ya, I thank you and others for offering tips. The next post I pop up about it will be a pic of it and no it won't be the Bates 10000 but hopefully something just as nice and for something completely different I just got tix for me and my gurl to see Dweezil Zapp next Feb so I'm happy as a pig in mud atm.

Take care, stay safe. Peace G

:thumbup:

P.S It says your a campaign tester, I don't suppose you've got any pull in regards to getting DCS Campaigns mended perhaps? I love Georgian Hammer with CA but alas only 9 out of the 32 missions fail to launch without crash to Win. Wrote in to ED and after several ping pong emails said he'd let the Devs know but not sure how long it would take as they're very busy and that was a few weeks ago and he closed the Ticket. I got a about 10 missions I think off Mad-Dog who copied them way before this problem so that was great of him. Anyway if you know of anyone or anything you could do to speed up the repair, that'd be awesome. Cheers again G :)