DCS last Update: Big problem !!! - Page 18 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #171
LeCuvier

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspace340 View Post
I assume they're going to remove the new profiles they added (and which we've all deleted). If they didn't remove them, then the next patch would just add them back in for all of us that deleted them.
It just dawned on me (I'm oldand slow) that the problem is caused by these .diff.lua files they added under ...Input\Airplane\Joystick\.

I might not wait for the hotfix however. Just go into the file explorer and delete all these unwanted files. It does not seem to cause problems with double-bindings I had deleted through the UI.
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5
Old 10-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #172
TomCatMucDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromac2010 View Post
Very disappointed as it meant no flying on the weekend. Alas no point crying and saying horrible things, Eagle Dynamics knows they've stuffed it for a lot of people. I'm just waiting on the hotfix which is supposed to be today. But then my Monday is Australian time so I gather it will be my Tuesday before we see said hotfix.
you can fly the stable version. the beta version is a beta...

--Finest Soviet Mig-21 Pilots --

Old 10-15-2018, 05:20 PM   #173
nessuno0505

I've been out for the weekend so I did not checked, but my bindings are affected. If I delete every single profile and try to load my saved game config file, it overlaps with the new default bindings. I have an excel file with all my custom buttons for every module I have, so I could just delete my /savedgame config files and redo all the assignments. But:
- today is monday, where is the hotfix and what is it supposed to do?
- if I delete my /savedgame configs and manually reset buttons again, what will happen after the hotfix?
- if I just wait for the hotfix, then will all my /savedgame configs work again, without doing nothing manually?
I'm not complaining, if I want just to fly I can run the stable version (I have both stable and openbeta installed side by side). It's just to know what is better to do now. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #174
danvac

I can imagine that hotfix seems to be more complicated than expected.

@nessuno0505 I would go for just setting module you want to fly and let others as they are.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #175
nessuno0505

Well so I can fly it in the stable branch. Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:50 PM   #176
Kocrachon

For me, this breaks down to 4 issues.

1) Not in patch notes. The fact that people spent so long trying to figure out the issue is a terrible terrible end user experience.

2) Yes, its a beta. But a beta is not when critical issues like this are supposed to happen. Beta is, at least with every company I have worked form, a near final release for testing to find remaining bugs. Something like this is typically found during QA and Alpha stages. My current company has Dev Branch, Alpha Branch, beta Branch, and Release. Often times we call Beta pre-prod. So its polished enough with some additional testing needing. ED beta acts far more like a Alpha and Beta combined.

3) I don't get why this even happened to begin with. Was it just default profiles were prioritized? That seems like a major flaw that should have been caused early for anyone, even in dev branch, that used custom keybinds. Was it they tried to force a new standard on us and old profiles are no longer valid? As a programer, I don't see how they couldnt just do a simple config update. Almost all keybinds are going to be a key,value pair. You should be able to update the key value, or add a new key and grab the value from the old key, and delete the old key afterwards. This is the type of stuff coding was made for. Tables, Dictionaries, etc are all easy enough to update in any coding language.

4) Apologists. I get we are in a Niche industry, and that ED is not a AAA studio like EA. But we need less people trying to defending terrible practices like this. If at the very least, this was in the patch notes, this could have gone 90% smoother. We can be critical without being jerks, but apologists need to stop defending every bad decision.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #177
deep

Well put Kocrachon.

I'm also a developer and the terms Alpha, Beta and Release mean very concrete things, and for very good reasons.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #178
funkyfranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocrachon View Post
For me, this breaks down to 4 issues.
I could not agree more and also well phrased, Kocrachon. On the plus side, ED listened and adapted. This is a behavior I always appreciate.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:06 PM   #179
brianjmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Well put Kocrachon.

I'm also a developer and the terms Alpha, Beta and Release mean very concrete things, and for very good reasons.
Agreed...The two versions of DCS World 2.5 should be called Open Alpha and Open Beta to make it more clear as to what condition each version is in and what expectations should be.
Windows 10 64-bit | Intel i5-7600K @4.6GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4/3200MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 120GB and 250GB | ASUS Prime Z270-A | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G1 | Dell 27" 2560x1440p 144Hz GSYNC | Saitek X-55 HOTAS | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | TrackIR 5 | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core Headset
Closed Thread