Ka-50 HUD almost opaque due to unreal reflections

Please take a look at this short video I recorded while low flying the Ka-50. I have to move my head sideways away from the HUD, to be able to see the trees in front of me without the HUD blocking my view:

I see two reflections there: one is from the green emitter below the HUD, making a big round green stain around the center of the HUD. It was there in 1.5 too and it looked cool then, but now it interferes with your notion of distance from trees (which are green too) and makes low flying on those gorgeous forests kinda painful.

The other is supposed to be sunlight (I think), however, the Ka-50 cockpit is very enclosed and it's impossible for sunlight to enter from behind (or any possible angle...) and reflect on the HUD and reach your eyes. If the HUD was a mirror, all you would see is your own face and the cockpit back walls... I know all these reflections are supposed to look cool, but... sorry to say this... they don't... Would there be any plans of toning down these reflections?

Thanks for the attention!

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

It's because they haven't finished updating textures across all the models yet. PBR and the new game engine (2.5's whole point) changed a lot of stuff. These issues cropped up back when 2.2 first launched and have not been resolved yet. It affects a whole slew of aircraft, everyone's very much aware of it. Be patient until they get it fixed.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Hi, you could give a try to one of Devrim's cockpit mod :

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/602834/

Thanks, but... I can see in that screenshot the green relfection is still there. The sun reflection will probably be there too when it's the same angle...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

It's because they haven't finished updating textures across all the models yet. PBR and the new game engine (2.5's whole point) changed a lot of stuff. These issues cropped up back when 2.2 first launched and have not been resolved yet. It affects a whole slew of aircraft, everyone's very much aware of it. Be patient until they get it fixed.

hmm, I don't see it in the other aircraft I have, only the Su-25A and that's different...

Anyway, if it's not working, could be removed until fixed, right? Or toned down? I mean, if it's there since 2.2 (that's a long time) it will probably still be there for a good while...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

it's never worse than what you see in my screenshot - I use it since 2.5.

If you click on the mod's link I provided, you will see : "Removed static HUD reflection from HUD bump" in the changelog of actual version

If you're interested I know a hud mod exists for Su-25A (not tried I like the standard one)

Edited by toutenglisse

They may have already fixed some of them, then. The MiG-29 and Su-25T were both practically unusable at one point. It's mostly older aircraft that are having the issue (such as the FC3 aircraft, and the Ka50), because the others were made PBR in the first place. There isn't any "toning it down". It's effectively a "glitch", ie something that's not intended, a by product of overhauling the graphics engine. Eventually it will be removed altogether, as they update textures.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

it's never worse than what you see in my screenshot - I use it since 2.5.

If you click on the mod's link I provided, you will see : "Removed static HUD reflection from HUD bump" in the changelog of actual version

hmm, I dont see that... please take a look at the screenshots I took with original and modded cockpits. First one is original cockpit with sun on my back, second one is modded cockpit with sun on my back. Third one is original with sun on my left, fourth one is modded with sun on my left...

29549211_originalcockpitsunonmyback.thumb.png.da111e018c497a510e274108e47bc740.png

1153802132_moddedcockpitsunonmyback.thumb.png.e868205606d23768d29abc032b6291da.png

745472686_originalcockpitsunonmyleft.thumb.png.a9db67a9162887c4114f5f75bf14cf92.png

1214156119_moddedcockpitsunonmyleft.thumb.png.efee7b2d14df3a3b6a22d85b11c2fda9.png

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

They may have already fixed some of them, then. The MiG-29 and Su-25T were both practically unusable at one point. It's mostly older aircraft that are having the issue (such as the FC3 aircraft, and the Ka50), because the others were made PBR in the first place. There isn't any "toning it down". It's effectively a "glitch", ie something that's not intended, a by product of overhauling the graphics engine. Eventually it will be removed altogether, as they update textures.

In that case, I hope they don't take too long to fix it for the shark. It's one hell of a cool module.

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

OK.....

It's strange in your video your HUD is constantly unreadable, whatever you are in hill's shadow or not .... It seems unrealistic....I've never seen that.

Maybe happens on a specific hour of the day.

Youtube video compression makes things worse, plus the autumn season I guess is also the worst for that. It happens early in the day when sun is very low (in the pics it was 7:00 am, don't remember the time in the video), and probably also at afternoon when the sun is very low again. Yes, it is very unrealistic.

But the sun is only responsible for the yellowish reflection. Even without the sun, there's the green from the HUD, which doesn't look very intense, but takes away the depth notion in relation to trees. In 1.5 there was this green reflection too, but it didn't mess with your depth perception.

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

• 4 months later...