The Rookie Thread

I share the sentiment with the others.

Don't give up. If you love simming, with some time this will give you so much enjoyment.

I am constantly learning how this ship flies as well. and I have only had the game since August.

I learned so much from the guys at VAAF.net. Great bunch of simmers and really patient.

Find out what groups are recruiting novices and I guarantee your skill level will go through the roof.

Stick with it. :)

Rectum non bustus

I'll keep trying, just had gotten quite frustrated yesterday.

The last few times if have flow Para_Bellum's tutorial mission, things kept going astray.

I blow up the tanks in the first part of the mission just fine, then I proceed toward the next waypoint, and set to fire either rockets or guns at the infantry. Then when I start moving the shkval the chopper just goes nuts, like it has a mind of it's own, making it practically uncontrollable, and pretty much ruins the mission.

Almost seems like after I have engaged then disengaged hover hold, it goes crazy.

Couple of times before takeoff, I have accidently hit hover hold while everything is running, sitting there getting ready to takeoff, then hit it again to disengage - then I take off, and the helicopter just wants to bank right, points nose down, then up, etc. It just goes crazy.

I'll try again and see about saving a track when it happens again.

Thanks guys,

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

If you accidently engange hover mode before take-off, and then disengage it again, it will also disengage the dampening channels. This causes the behavior you descriped. So when this happens do the following BEFORE take-off;

disengage AP hover mode

ENGAGE the dampening channels

(located to your lower right, 2 or 3 panels down of the PVI-800.)

Im not behind my own comp at the moment so cant take a look in the cockpit for you to give the right channel names.

You may want to take a look in the manual though. (not the quick start one)

Hope this helps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Thanks for that info, I am sure will be very helpful when I happen to do that again! Might even help my overall problem as well...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well go figure - just loaded up the mission again and flew it without issue - and to top it off apparently got my first air medal after this one as well, so perhaps there is hope.

Not sure what was going on before, the next time it happens I will try to remember to save a trk file.

Don B

I guess all I needed was to come on here and vent. I have now successfully flow the mission three times without incident. One thing I have done that seems to have helped, is going into axis tune for roll, pitch, and rudders, and put a little curve in there along with a little deadzone. I seem to be much smoother on the controls now.

Who knows, maybe flying one of the campaigns is in my future!

Don B

You never get tired to ask for tracks, eh? :thumbup: Funny that hardly anybody accepts your offer. :doh:

:D

Oh How I Try...........:music_whistling:

My Intentions are Honorable, albeit apparently Misguided.....Maybe it's the Avatar :D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Well if hardly anyone accepts the offer, then what happens to them - do they just give up and leave BS? That would be somewhat troubling...

Don B

Well go figure - just loaded up the mission again and flew it without issue - and to top it off apparently got my first air medal after this one as well, so perhaps there is hope.

Not sure what was going on before, the next time it happens I will try to remember to save a trk file.

Just curious. How'd you score a medal? I've done that mission 2-3 times and made it back in one piece.

I'm jealous!;)

BTW, with regard to slewing the Shkval and getting all out of control;

I have an X52Pro kit and sometimes I get input lag - delayed response from any of my control inputs, aside from cyclic, then they all manifest 10 seconds or so later, all at once.

I've had my ship pitch back wildy whilst in a hover, searching for targets.

Do you have a Saitek stick?

Edited by astrospud

Rectum non bustus

Not really sure, I flew the same mission couple of more times after getting the medal and got promoted to First

Lieutenant as well. But I have flown the mission several times now, am trying to get better at it each time.

My setup is a Cougar HOTAS with TM Elite rudder pedals, along with the U2NXT gimbal mod, and hall sensors all the way around. Don't think I am getting input lag.

I am not sure why mine was getting so out of control there a few times, I think it may have been related to engaging and disenganging auto hover, perhaps related to the dampening channels mentioned by Falcon 1906.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Ok so it happened again, same mission.

I had already taken care of blowing up the tanks, and moved toward waypoint 3 to take care of the infantry.

I had initiated hover hold, and was in process of turning my laser designator standby switch to the on position. I had accidently clicked it both on and off, then on again. The helicopter then started gyrating wildly about.

Should the laser standby switch affect this? The shkval was caged during this. I disengaged hover hold, but never could really get the chopper back under any kind of decent control.

Don B

.......The helicopter then started gyrating wildly about.......

Spinning around in circles?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sort of, started out banking hard to the right, then started spinning around to the right, I just let it go and watched what it would do, and it ended up spinning around in circles.

I have the trk file as well, can upload it later today, have to head out for a while now.

Don B

Ok got the trk file uploaded, under " spinning uncontrollably during mission" under tracks, missions, and campaigns/

Have to head out now and will be gone for a good bit of the day.

Thanks,

Don B

Sort of, started out banking hard to the right, then started spinning around to the right, I just let it go and watched what it would do, and it ended up spinning around in circles.

I have the trk file as well, can upload it later today, have to head out for a while now.

If it happens again, just apply Full Rudder in the Opposite direction to the Spin. Whilst Spinning, be sure to keep an eye on the VVI so you're not losing altitude.Will eventually Stop/Become manageable........When it does, Put your Nose down, pick up Airspeed and Trim for Level Flight and you'll be good to go.

As for the reasons it happens - In all probability an 'Out of Trim' Rudder. In any event - only Rudder to Blame - Nothing Else :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Burnette, do you have some other game controller plugged into the computer?

Just thinking, in case you have tried all the regular ways to fix the problem.

Yesterday I played BS after a break and during that I had bought a gamepad. It made my Sharky pitch up and refuse to trim.

159th Viper - thanks I will keep that in mind and try it if it happens again.

Griffin - No, just my Cougar Hotas is plugged in.

I still have to wonder, why it happened immediately after pressing the laser standby switch a couple of times rapidly...

The chopper was actually trimmed very well - it was hovering beautifully in auto hover when this happened, as the trk would show.

Don B

The chopper was actually trimmed very well - it was hovering beautifully in auto hover when this happened, as the trk would show.

Be Careful not to engage Auto-Hover at Ground Speed exceeding approx 5km/h. Best to get the Helo in as close to a Hover as possible prior to toggling A/H.

In your track, the second Auto-Hover was engaged at about 28km/h Ground Speed, which as far as the Stability Augmentation System is concerned, is equal to a Virtual........

kicknuts.jpg

.......Not Good!

In all probability the beginning of the problems subsequently manifested and explained in your other thread (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=46420). Have regard to the SimHQ articles as linked by JimMack for a better explanation.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the info, very helpful! I had thought I was closer to zero ground speed when I engaged auto hover, obviously was not so will be sure to be more careful in that regard.

Many thanks for taking the time to view the track, I appreciate it very much.

• Like 1

Don B

^^ having altitude hold on will "auto collective" up to 20% of the collectives range.

You can use the Collective Brake key to set the goal altitude to the current altitude.

Otherwise, no there is no other collective auto pilot (thats what the Alt hold is!)

Hi all another rookie here. I bought DCS a while ago but I'm only now starting to get to grips with it. I've just ordered a Saitek x45 (an old model but a bargain at £30 until I actually need something better) and I've rigged myself up a freetrack setup which is working beautifully.

To say this sim is daunting is gross, gross understatement. But I am really looking forward to what I imagine will be an incredibly rewarding learning process. I guess practice practice practice is the key with this one. Although they do say that if you can't fly a chopper it takes you 40% less time to learn to fly the Black Shark than a regular chopper.

I've gone through the getting started guide which was immensly helpful but I wont get far without a proper joystick so I'm taking the time to read the Documentation available before the X45 arrives.

I can imagine that when you get enough experience to fly in an online attack squadron the £30 you spent in the beggining starts to feel like you mugged ED! What a bang for your buck! Are there rookie squadron's I can join?

The realism of this game is sublime, in that its symaltaniously terrifying and captivating. This will be an interesting learning curve. In at the deep end ftw :)!!

Whiskey.

Hi WhiskeyJ! Glad to see you taking the plunge. I also bought this sim and found it daunting until some friends gave me some basic training. There is a lot to learn, which for me, is what makes these kinds of sims fun for hours and hours. But you have to start with the basics and learn one thing at a time.

I can recommend the War Hawks Squadron as a rookie squadron. There is no command structure, just a few guys trying to have fun with different games, BS being one of them. Boomer is a great and patient trainer, and most of the other guys are happy to show you what they know.

Snack

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Hello everyone, I have been playing for a few months and I am getting the hang of things. I am in the central US and I fly in the mornings and normally find a few folks in multiplayer, but never anyone in any of the Teamspeak or vent servers. I would really like to get with some folks on voice and fly together. What are some good times for english speaking folks?

Toast

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. and When All Else Fails, Aviate More :pilotfly: