F-14 Cockpit and instrument dimensions

punk

Hey Fara,

Yes you do at the moment. I will eventually get round to making all the parts PDFs, but only once I have had the full pits frame completed. As I continue to build it i might tweek parts and then change to model to suit.

If you want to do it I suggest that you install both SketchUp and primo pdf. The free version of sketchup wont natively print to pdf. The same basic steps as above would apply to get the prints at the right size.

Hope this helps.

Mumbles.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have the pdf's to print off the right and left pilots vertical and side consoles? I keep trying to use the sketch up instructions and it is just eluding me. I would like to print them and paste them to the sheet metal I will make my pit from.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Does anyone have the pdf's to print off the right and left pilots vertical and side consoles? I keep trying to use the sketch up instructions and it is just eluding me. I would like to print them and paste them to the sheet metal I will make my pit from.

Daco_03_F-14_Page_172.png

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Cant hurt. I was hoping to get the printouts from Heatblur actually with the dimensions. That is from the NATOPS which I have. I dont know how much to blow up the fold outs. Can you attach them?

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Cant hurt. I was hoping to get the printouts from Heatblur actually with the dimensions. That is from the NATOPS which I have. I dont know how much to blow up the fold outs. Can you attach them?

That is all i have. Found it on the Tomcat Alley Discord a while back. Sorry.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Nah, its all good! I didn't look hard enough in the files. There's plenty of pictures I/folks can use to make cockpit pieces.

Nah, its all good! I didn't look hard enough in the files. There's plenty of pictures I/folks can use to make cockpit pieces.

Hey Mariner.

I am not sure if this will work out for you, but the first image is similar to the above and the same image copied from the DACO book, Shogun who based his pit on it, said he took it to his local Kinko's and had them enlarge the image 747% and print it. He was not sure how close it came. Mind you that the image may be altered by the copy and paste routine I am guessing. But I can give you the exact measurements for a number of gauges and a couple panels if you like to test how close they are. The second image was my attempt to make a life sized image on GIMP. Not sure how it would print out though. Hope this helps a little.

Salute,

Punk

872539025_CockpitInstrumentPanels.thumb.png.ec341132601c3338517d1897c3fabf9b.png

522688356_WorkingPanel.thumb.jpg.270d3586d7d3c3a8d33207b2491e86ec.jpg

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Strike thanks for putting that up.

Mariner. I will pull that part out and flaten it soon for you. Once its done I'll send it to you via pm. It might take a few days to get to it.

Just as a bit of an update, bought an Odyssey for a bit of a look at VR and what I can do to maybe intergrate it into the pit. Should have it late next week.

I'll hopefully have new copy of the model out soon with the new parts.

Do you guys want the panels as a pdf or stl files first when I get round to making thr model into better plans?

Cheers,

Mumbles

Awesome Punk, Mumbles!! Thanks! PDFs would be great for me! I am rebuilding my Pit to the F-14 from a pretty generic one.

You will be amazed in VR. I have had it since starting my pit 1 1/2 years ago. The main thing when in VR is that you want to have the switches and controls spatially in the same place as you see them in VR. It isn't super critical down to the inch. You will quickly adjust to where the control or switch is. There is no need for dials and guages, they are in VR.

This is a great collection of work and I really admire the hard work and the talent you all have put in to your Pits!

Awesome Punk, Mumbles!! Thanks! PDFs would be great for me! I am rebuilding my Pit to the F-14 from a pretty generic one.

You will be amazed in VR. I have had it since starting my pit 1 1/2 years ago. The main thing when in VR is that you want to have the switches and controls spatially in the same place as you see them in VR. It isn't super critical down to the inch. You will quickly adjust to where the control or switch is. There is no need for dials and guages, they are in VR.

This is a great collection of work and I really admire the hard work and the talent you all have put in to your Pits!

As a guide for the size, each of the side panels are a standard width of 5 3/4" I believe.

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there anything out there on how the square Mode and Steering buttons/switches work? You push one in and it turns 1/4 turn and simultaneously turns off the other switches. I may have to go with simple throw switches for them.

Reminiscent of the old 8 track and cassette player radio switches. They would work great!

Edited by mariner3302

Actually I guess momentary switches will work just as well.. I wish their was a way to get the binding menu items list for the Cat. Building the Pit would be a lot easier. Got the Gear and Hook levers and switches into a panel today!

Is there anything out there on how the square Mode and Steering buttons/switches work? You push one in and it turns 1/4 turn and simultaneously turns off the other switches. I may have to go with simple throw switches for them.

Reminiscent of the old 8 track and cassette player radio switches. They would work great!

Yeah, Those are hard to find. I have two of them and one with 8 buttons. They were from an A-6 I believe so they are are out there, you just have to luck across them.

I was going to just go with momentary push buttons and use the game indication to let me know which one was active.

Salute,

Punk

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, Those are hard to find. I have two of them and one with 8 buttons. They were from an A-6 I believe so they are are out there, you just have to luck across them.

I was going to just go with momentary push buttons and use the game indication to let me know which one was active.

Salute,

Punk

Back after a long spell doing nothing on this. Just getting ready to start building the seat this weekend.

For the buttons mentioned, I am going to try momentary push buttons with LED indicators to show which one is currently selected. Need to look up if there's a way to get the LEDs cross connected the right way so that turning one on turns the others off.

Back after a long spell doing nothing on this. Just getting ready to start building the seat this weekend.

For the buttons mentioned, I am going to try momentary push buttons with LED indicators to show which one is currently selected. Need to look up if there's a way to get the LEDs cross connected the right way so that turning one on turns the others off.

Did you design your own seat or are you following an exact ejection seat from the kitty?

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

Rough sketch with dimensions to get an idea what you are looking at.

302465886_2019-02-0809_21_15.thumb.jpg.d2bb5f305b2cde326d228d7aee68ac82.jpg

Edited by mariner3302

Punk, did you ever do anything with the throttle you have in the first posts? I'm quickly sliding down the slope into transforming my Warthog throttle into a Tomcat style. The wing sweep and flap mechanisms are on my mind and I was wondering what sort of plans the company used if you know. I will rearrange the switches also once I get the locations plotted out and the panels ready. Anything you have to help would be great (or anyone)!

This is the Discord for Tomcat Home Built Pit's https://discord.gg/XZTfyF

Punk, did you ever do anything with the throttle you have in the first posts? I'm quickly sliding down the slope into transforming my Warthog throttle into a Tomcat style. The wing sweep and flap mechanisms are on my mind and I was wondering what sort of plans the company used if you know. I will rearrange the switches also once I get the locations plotted out and the panels ready. Anything you have to help would be great (or anyone)!

Sorry, thought I had posted those pics we were discussing, but didn't take I guess:

281717605_F14Throttle0.thumb.jpg.6efe5821b78802783dea68d494d825cb.jpg

2141236946_F14Throttle1.thumb.jpg.ebaac90bb87ab6d321c60deb4803a499.jpg

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow! The Holy Grail of Tomcat Pit builders!! Thanks to both of you!!

Punk, if you could send me the length of the green lines I would really appreciate it. That will give me a reference point when building the throttles. Also a top down pic would be great so I can get the flap cutouts made. I thought they were ball drop detents. I see they are slotted now.

Mumbles, Thanks Mate, now I can get to drilling!!

1709887593_F14Throttle0A.thumb.jpg.09ba5a6a00f3122f12ea28e3f4a96db5.jpg