AI AMRAAM MISSILE BEHAVIOR

DCS FIGHTER PILOT

Do I dare mention it? YES. Ever since I have started playing DCS a couple of years ago I have noticed that loosing an AMRAAM lock before pitbull results in a very easy and cheap kill against enemy AI aircraft. The missile continues flying towards the target, which does absolutely nothing to defend, and obliterates it. Now granted I am not an engineer at Raytheon YET, but I am pretty sure that at that point, the missile would loose its lock and go ballistic OR, reacquire the target once the head goes active thus triggering a missile launch warning in the hostile aircraft which of course, prompts it to defend. Now the only reason I am bringing this here, which is something that I am dreading more so than getting my wisdom teeth yanked out of my skull, is because yep you guessed it, I was referred here by one of the members on the ED team. So what can you guys come up with?! Note that the biggest reason prompting me to bring this up is because of the Hornets new ability to carry AMRAAMs. Pre Hornet release, there was only one playable plane that could carry them, now there are two. For those who have not caught on yet, the AMRAAM has become much more popular so lets make it behave better.

OR, reacquire the target once the head goes active thus triggering a missile launch warning in the hostile aircraft which of course, prompts it to defend

If lock is dropped, the missiles guidance system takes it to where the expected point of interception was. If the AI isn't manoeuvring, the missile will meet its AI partner at the pre-arranged point, lock it up & try to greet it with a friendly slap on the back.

I can't see that you've described a problem with the missile behaviour at all (even you suggest that the missile behaviour might be correct), but have pointed out that it appears to you the AI never react to an active seeker's radar if the original lock was lost - which would be a bug in the plane AI, not the missile.

If you've seen it happen a lot, do you have a track ?

Cheers.

AI AMRAAM MISSILE BEHAVIOR Follow Up

I have created a track showing what happens when lock is lost before pitbull although I am not sure how to paste it in the message. The AI does seem to drop chaff but continues to fly in a strait line ACCELERATING. Also note that this situation is easily recreated in any DCS World application, just jump in the hornet or eagle, find an enemy AI target, shoot an AMRAAM at it, lose lock, and see what happens. Now granted I am no developer but this seems like something that would be a relatively easy to fix in a future update. As I mentioned the AMRAAM is much more popular now with the Hornet being out so it is important to fix the issue that is causing this bizarre behavior. I would think that this is indeed an AI issue rather than a missile behavior issue though.

If you drop lock before pitbull, the AI should be thinking he has managed to trash a radar lock somehow through chaff and maneouvering, dropping some chaff would be a common practice to help confusing a possible amraam going maddog. Since their RWR is not yet warning of a missile shot it seems kind of an ok AI behavior i guess...(knowing how stupid AI can be sometimes )

Am i missing something? Without the track is difficult to understand what the strange behavior is.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

I have created a track showing what happens when lock is lost before pitbull although I am not sure how to paste it in the message...

Select "Edit" to edit your message. Then...

Click the "Go Advanced" button. On the advanced message page, you'll see a "Manage Attachments" button below the message box. Click it and use the page that opens to attach your track.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

If you drop lock before pitbull, the AI should be thinking he has managed to trash a radar lock somehow through chaff and maneouvering, dropping some chaff would be a common practice to help confusing a possible amraam going maddog. Since their RWR is not yet warning of a missile shot it seems kind of an ok AI behavior i guess...(knowing how stupid AI can be sometimes )

Am i missing something? Without the track is difficult to understand what the strange behavior is.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

If an Amraam equipped AI fighter coming head-on breaks lock on you, let's say at 20 nm, you won't think that you are ok. You'd assume that you have one or more Amraam coming at you, and maneuver to defeat them.

The AI is not doing that, it just happily runs into the threat.

Inviato dal mio S2 utilizzando Tapatalk

Edited by catt42

Yes, this is an problem. Track attached. The AIM-120 flies out, performs a sudden radical maneuver (presumably) at pitbull and the AI completely ignores a missile that should have its Beriosa screaming.

EDIT: This first AIM-120 track (-01A) has an AIM-120 launched with an STT lock which is then dropped. The next two tracks are TWS. In the "Tagged" version, I keep the AI target selected throughout. He maneuvered to avoid. In the "Untagged" track, I deselected the AI target after launch. The AI ignored the missile. So the AI's response appears to be tied to the launching aircraft's radar state.

AIM-120 vs AI-01A.trk

AIM-120 vs AI-02-TWS-Tagged.trk

AIM-120 vs AI-02-TWS-Untagged.trk

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.