New to DCS, Need Help with Saitek X52 for A10C

Cacher

I'm brand new to DCS and want to start with the A10C. I've dusted off my Saitex X52 (not Pro) and have it installed with Windows 7 drivers. I haven't installed any Saitek software yet and I'm not sure I should. I've been searching through the DCS forums for profiles and diagrams of the A10C HOTAS setups. I've found many, going back several years. I've found many with the with the .pr0 extension, and some with several .lua extensions. I know that the recent release of DCS World of 2.5.1 is out and I'm not sure how many of the ones I've found will work. I plan to someday move on to the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS when funds allow so I'd like to model that as best I can with the X52. Can someone please:

1. Advise if I need to install the Saitek software for the X52?

2. Direct me to diagrams and a profile that is up-to-date for the X52?

3. Can I make all the necessary assignments for the X52 just using the DCS Software?

Thanks in advance.

Lantz :joystick:

Hi there,

Let me try to help;

Yes and No :)

You can configure the buttons directly in DCS, with the only limitation being that you will not have access to the Mode rotary. The problem I experienced with the SST SW was that it was buggy and caused centering issues with the X52 during gameplay, so I had to move off the SST SW and cofigure DCS directly.

Now, the reason for the YES above, is that you may need to install the SST SW to get the pinky (shift) button on the joystick to be recognized by DCS.

As a test, press the pinky button, and check if the "shift" indicator appears on the throttle LCD (below the MODE label) - if it does, then the pinky is configured for shift states, and you would need to install the SST SW to remove the shift states, before DCS will recognize the pinky.

If it does not appear, then you should be able to configure the pinky as a modifier directly in DCS without installing the SST SW.

Have a look at the below thread on how to remove the shift states :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=83215

I used the following to program DCS Directly :

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/upload/iblock/7e7/A-10C_X-52_bindings_Maverick-X2k5_lowres.jpg

A-10C_X-52_bindings_Maverick-X2k5_lowres.jpg

Taken from this SST profile by goose204 (full credit)

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/702965/

As mentioned however, I opted to configure this profile directly in DCS due to the buggy SST SW causing centering issues.

3. Can I make all the necessary assignments for the X52 just using the DCS Software?

Yes you can as explained, after removing the shift states, and adjusting for the lack of the mode switch. I've attached my config file - perhaps give it a try

The changes I made to goose204's button assignments to compensate for the lack of the MODE rotary were as follows :

Fire A : Flaps up

Pinky + Fire A : Gear Up

Fire B : Flaps down

Pinky + Fire B : Gear Down

Fire C : Mastermode toggle

Pinky + Fire C : NWS

Mouse Button : VR Zoom

TIR Commands removed (VR :D)

No Wheelbrake on trigger (again using rudder pedals, and lack of MODE rotary)

NO NVG on POV3 + Clutch (got lazy :music_whistling:)

Everything else works as per the profile.

I retained the pinky and clutch button as modifiers as per the profile - see the below link on how to add the the x52 buttons as modifiers yourself :

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3438430/HOWTO_Joystick_shift_button_in.html

If you wish to use my config files;

The joystick config goes here :

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\A-10C\joystick

(You may need to reconfigure the rudder axis to the joystick, as I use a rudder pedals)

The modifiers config goes here :

C:\Users\<USERNAME.\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\A-10C

Hope this helps.

modifiers.lua

X52 H.O.T.A.S. {F9F352E0-D82D-11e6-8001-444553540000}.diff.lua

Fwiw, the latest Logitech software for these joysticks (they bought saitek), worked much better for me. It allows me to map every button without issue. Pinky switch mapping does not require the software, but setting up your ministick for keybindings likely will. Also using the three way switch on the stick to switch profiles needs the software too.

I used the Jack Bauer profile for a10 which you can google.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Hi Cacher,

You should also download Chuck's A-10C Guide, very well done guide that will help you to also understand what you will need to bind and why.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I may give the Logitech software a try. I’ll try to find the Jack Bauer profile. As for Chuck’s A10C guide, I’ve been reading through it with great relish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMO with the x52 the only thing you need the SST software for is to assign keyboard commands to the mouse nub for slewing. You can always add a modifier in the game you can hold to configure any/all buttons to have multiple commands. Use the diagram of the hotas from the manual found in the game folder under /mods/aircraft/a-10c and match everything as closely as possible, using a modifier to turn your two hatswitches into the four that the a-10c has and so on. You can also use SST to turn the slider and rotaries into keypresses as well.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Don't use the Saitek software. Download the Logitech one for the Joystick. Much better.

It will help you to use the thumbstick for slewing and the mouse button and the wheel for other uses (I use the mouse button for brakes and the Pinky + mouse for landing gear, and the wheel for the boat switch)

Other than that, using the pinky button as modifier will give you more than enough room to fit everything in a single set.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

jaxx_za's profile looks pretty thorough and easy to use.

You might try mine as well. It works for X52 and X52pro. I'm a Business Intelligence Architect/Dev so I have a deep understanding of user interface and interaction. I did a thorough analysis to come to conclusions for this profile. Hope it can at least be a good foundation for you:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=59208

You can find a lot more information in the linked post, but to answer your questions:

- I would, even if you don't use this profile. If for no other reason than to disable the clutch function.

- See above

- You simply copy my files from the post and you have it all in place, other than the items in the diagram that are black. Those are set in game. Extensive directions and observations are available in the post.

Click to expand. Screenshot the HOTAS Matrix on the right, if nothing else. I found it really useful when I was getting started.

newx52a10cwarthog.jpg

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Many thanks for all the responses. I’m definitely going to try to use the Logitech software and give StrongHarms profile a try. I’ve spent the last few days studying the lore of re-writing .lua monitor config files in order to adapt the DCS A10C display in my 3 Monitor (all different sizes and resolutions) setup. I’ve had some success and hoped to have that in order shortly. All advice is much appreciated.

Cacher, I don't know if you're interested in acquiring additional hardware, but the Oculus Rift works beautifully with DCS. I was previously using 3 52 inch 4k monitors.. but now I can't fly unless I have those silly looking goggles on my face. The most striking difference is that you can perceive depth and distance very well. I don't stare at the altimeter anymore. I found it so realistic that for my first few weeks I would get disoriented as my body was expecting G forces that didn't occur (may not happen to everyone, I flew in military aircraft while I was in the service). There's a section in the forums about it.

Also, the JetSeat is a good investment and it really helps with VR immersion and combatting motion sickness. FYI. Luck to you and welcome to a great sim and a great community.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

New to DCS, Need Help with Saitek X52 for A10C

Thanks StrongHarm, VR is a future possibility. I want to learn and practice the A10C aircraft so that I can eventually qualify to join one of the realistic Virtual Squadrons. Having done so in GA aircraft in the VATSIM world, I’ve come to love that type of immersion. VR would really take it to the next level but I believe I’ll need to see the controls and a “cheat sheet diagram” until I learn the different control actions. When I do, I will need to use reading glasses with the VR headset. Is this possible?

That's a really damned good point Cacher! I personally read the manual in its entirety, then ran a bunch of missions I put together in the mission editor to get the practical of each subsystem. Only then did I refine my setup and gear. Flying with others and swapping TTPs really cemented my knowledge of the bird. Don't wait too long to link up with other pilots. Some may seem querulous in the forums, but once you get out there on voice comms most are friendly and receptive to questions.

I use glasses with VR. It was hard for me to find a decent pair that worked well with the Rift (since I have an enormous noggin). I finally found these and they are working great. They cover the VR lenses almost perfectly and I can't even feel them.

I flew and still fly the 1st instant action mission, pretty much every HOTAS control you will use is needed to complete the mission successfully.

Before the Warthog I used Jack Bauers profile and it worked flawlessly. I hope you enjoy the Hog as much as I have done and still do :thumbup:

@Hey StrongHarm how goes the war :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
jaxx_za's profile looks pretty thorough and easy to use.

You might try mine as well. It works for X52 and X52pro. I'm a Business Intelligence Architect/Dev so I have a deep understanding of user interface and interaction. I did a thorough analysis to come to conclusions for this profile. Hope it can at least be a good foundation for you:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=59208

You can find a lot more information in the linked post, but to answer your questions:

- I would, even if you don't use this profile. If for no other reason than to disable the clutch function.

- See above

- You simply copy my files from the post and you have it all in place, other than the items in the diagram that are black. Those are set in game. Extensive directions and observations are available in the post.

Click to expand. Screenshot the HOTAS Matrix on the right, if nothing else. I found it really useful when I was getting started.

newx52a10cwarthog.jpg

Strongharm, I've working on getting set up with your profile for what seems like weeks now. Lots of other chores got in the way. I had to tackle learning how to use the Saitek SST software and also how to import your profile into the X52 (not Pro). As of now, I have been mostly successful in both of these tasks as well as assigning the 6 tasks in the DCS Controls Options.

I do have a few questions on your diagram above.

1. On the throttle, the "Fire E" button is labeled "LAAP Engage/Disengage" on one view and "Toggle Autopilot" in the other view. These are really the same commands, aren't they?

2. The "wheel mouse button" on the back of the throttle handle has 3 "Red" (Mode 1) commands assigned to it: "Nose Steer"/LASE/AR Disconnect". I found the "Nose Steer" command and assigned it to Mode 1. The others I couldn't find and I'm not sure how I would assign them to the same Mode if I did. Are they already there depending whether the aircraft is airborne or not?

3. I'm at a loss on how to assign VHF1, VHF2, and UHF Transmit commands to the Throttle Thumb Stick. Could you lead me through the SST software procedure for that? Is there a way to turn the stick into a 4 way button like the POV hats are?

4. Now that I have all these very numerous commands programmed, what is the best way to learn them?

Thanks in advance,

Lantz

@Cacher

"what is the best way to learn them?"

I bashed the instant missions, one by one, only moving on when I had got the hang of the particular store, before starting the next.

It took about 3 weeks, including setting up the Hotas, which I decided would be almost exactly the same as the real one, with no more added and DCS only configuring.

But I still can't figure out how to get the pinky working again, or why it stopped in the first place and it's no good without it.

GL..

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

OK. I've got my pinkie modifier back.

Open profile editor, switch to grid view. Delete the Mode 1 + Pinkie, Mode 2 + Pinkie, Mode 3 + Pinkie. Save the profile with a name and close. Enable the saved profile.

Luckily I wrote my A-10C DCS profile on a piece of paper, 7 years ago, so it should be easy to redo.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

I think I've got the Saitek (Logitech) SST programming completed based on Strongharms' profile, The one question on the profile that remains is the following:

1. The "wheel mouse button" on the back of the throttle handle has 3 "Red" (Mode 1) commands assigned to it: "Nose Steer"/LASE/AR Disconnect". I found the "Nose Steer" command and assigned it to Mode 1. The others I couldn't find and I'm not sure how I would assign them to the same Mode if I did. Are they already there depending whether the aircraft is airborne or not?

Looking through the Default Key Commands, I've found the following commands:

Emergency Disconnect Lever = LAlt+E

HOTAS Nosewheel Steering = Insert

I can't find anything for Strongharms' control labled LASE. He also seems to have assigned them to the same Mode. I'm thinking they reference Aerial Refueling Disconnect, Nosewheel Steering Toggle, and some sort of Laser command?

Can anyone help me out here?

Lantz

Nose wheel steering and lase are the same button press on the hotas. So while you are on the ground, that press would toggle your nws. While you are flying, it will activate the laser (assuming your target is not masked by terrain or your aircraft body).

So I assume he mapped that to the click of the mouse wheel. Not sure about the other mapping though.

Nose wheel steering and lase are the same button press on the hotas. So while you are on the ground, that press would toggle your nws. While you are flying, it will activate the laser (assuming your target is not masked by terrain or your aircraft body).

So I assume he mapped that to the click of the mouse wheel. Not sure about the other mapping though.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Sorry to hijack, also a noob with a X52 Pro, got my stick setup the way I like but would like to add more with the rotary and sliders. I am trying to understand bands. I setup bands on the one slider 5% - 90% - 5% and want to use the for Airbrakes.

Tried assigning shft-B and CTRL-B in the profile software, that didn't work and I cannot see how to use it in the sim.

Sorry to hijack, also a noob with a X52 Pro, got my stick setup the way I like but would like to add more with the rotary and sliders. I am trying to understand bands. I setup bands on the one slider 5% - 90% - 5% and want to use the for Airbrakes.

Tried assigning shft-B and CTRL-B in the profile software, that didn't work and I cannot see how to use it in the sim.

In the Logitech Saitek Software, I left clicked on the arrow in the upper right corner of the box for "Rotary 1" and selected "Bands". Three band boxes opened up (0-33%, 33-67%,67-100%). In the first band, I entered the commands " LShift" and "B" and labled it "Airbrakes Closed". For the third band, I entered the commands "RCTRL" and "B", labled it "Airbrakes Open", and then Saved.

When I first tried it in the game, I didn't think it worked. Make sure the profile is loaded. Even loaded, it didn't appear to work but I forgot how "modeled" the A10C is. The engines have to be running to get the hydraulic power necessary to make the airbrakes work. Once I did that, everything works!

In the Logitech Saitek Software, I left clicked on the arrow in the upper right corner of the box for "Rotary 1" and selected "Bands". Three band boxes opened up (0-33%, 33-67%,67-100%). In the first band, I entered the commands " LShift" and "B" and labled it "Airbrakes Closed". For the third band, I entered the commands "RCTRL" and "B", labled it "Airbrakes Open", and then Saved.!

finally got this working, had to map the Keys a little differently and went with N and B then mapped those in the game. Works like a charm now.

finally got this working, had to map the Keys a little differently and went with N and B then mapped those in the game. Works like a charm now.

Glad to hear it worked out.