ILS offset

colubridae

I am proceeding with A-10C learning, but have a problem withILS

The vertical needle is always offset to the right.

Horizontal ok

HSI always points slightly right as well.

I am prepping tracks for upload, but I wondered if there isan obvious problem before uploading.

Please help

:)

Uploading a track would help diagnose. Do you mean the ils steering cue that is vertical itself? I think thats called the horizontal needle. Track is key so we can know the runway.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

Any particular runway? Or just all of them.

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

Sounds like the HSI Course isn't set to the correct value for the runway you're landing on. Or landing on the wrong runway for the ILS approach. Like others have said, a track can help.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Landingat Batumi is attached (i think)...

apologiesfor overlong track and crap flying.

The deflected needle is the one that ‘hangs down’ from the top of the ADI and sweeps left/right across the face of the ADI. Sorry if I called it vertical and it should be called horizontal.

The needle ‘offset’ on this landing occurs on all the airfields I’ve tried.

I've watched numerous youtube ILS tutorials where the needle shows no appreciable offset.

Please help (I’m pretty sure I’m doing something wrong but I can’t see what).

Batumi landing .trk

As rehtnap said, try setting the HSI Course to the value for the airfield, from the charts. 120 for Batumi, 64 for Kobuleti and see if that helps. Your tracks show you using 129 and 70.

I will try that thanks for help.

I've always set the HSI course to the runway number (plus zero), I thought that's what was required.

As rehtnap said, try setting the HSI Course to the value for the airfield, from the charts. 120 for Batumi, 64 for Kobuleti and see if that helps. Your tracks show you using 129 and 70.

Thanks man. Just tried kobuleti and Batumi - spot on with your course settings on the HSI.

My assumptions about the runway number were bollocks.

p.s. Where can i get the runway please

directions?

Edited by colubridae
poltiness

Check your Doc folder for Caucasus charts:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Doc\Charts\DCS_VAD_Charts_A10C.pdf

In your track, I just took over and shot an ILS approach with heading 120 and the Bank Steering Bar was fairly well centered.

I've always set the HSI course to the runway number (plus zero), I thought that's what was required.

Yes and no. ;)

With runway numbers being only 2 digits, there's at least a 10 degree range for the actual runway heading; I believe it should be rounded like this:

125° < RWY 13 < 134°

135° < RWY 14 < 144°

And so on. But this wouldn't match heading 120° for Runway 13. Then again, the magnetic variation changes over time, but I'm not sure which date the DCS map is based on, so maybe that's the reason for the deviation between runway heading and runway designation.

Check your Doc folder for Caucasus charts:

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Doc\Charts\DCS_VAD_Charts_A10C.pdf

In your track, I just took over and shot an ILS approach with heading 120 and the Bank Steering Bar was fairly well centered.

Yes and no. ;)

With runway numbers being only 2 digits, there's at least a 10 degree range for the actual runway heading; I believe it should be rounded like this:

125° < RWY 13 < 134°

135° < RWY 14 < 144°

And so on. But this wouldn't match heading 120° for Runway 13. Then again, the magnetic variation changes over time, but I'm not sure which date the DCS map is based on, so maybe that's the reason for the deviation between runway heading and runway designation.

Awesome. I've just landed Tbilisi spot on.

Thanks a million. :thumbup: :thumbup:;)

ps just ordered hornet. Can't wait. I'm 68 this year - not much time left to learn.:smilewink:

Awesome. I've just landed Tbilisi spot on.

Thanks a million. :thumbup: :thumbup:;)

ps just ordered hornet. Can't wait. I'm 68 this year - not much time left to learn.:smilewink:

I also am hitting that number this year. I hope to live long enough to see a P-38 in here.

Another tip, those charts should be available in your kneeboard, also.

The white arrow is the course arrow. Its middle is a segment course deviation indicator (CDI). CDI deflects based on mixture of localizer signals. CDI deflection is correct regardless of the orientation of the course arrow. While it may be helpful to set the course knob (CRS) equal to the correct course for the purposes of reading the instrument the position shown is correct regardless. If you are centered on the localizer then wiggling the CRS knob will not cause the CDI to show any difference.

ADI has yellow bank and pitch command bars. The vertically-oriented bar commands bank. If the bar is right of center then more right bank is commanded. It's possible to be left of course but have too much right bank which causes the needle to command a change of bank to the left.

You will notice that in DCS wiggling the CRS knob causes the yellow bank bar to also wiggle. This is wrong behavior on the part of the game. The real airplane does not react this way. Instead the real airplane uses the time rate of change of the localizer signal to compute the commanded bank which is independent of CRS knob. Unfortunately that means DCS users must set the CRS knob with care for accurate bank steering commands which is not a requirement of the real airplane.