2021 (and earlier) DCS Newsletter Discussion Thread

NineLine

It must be very simplistic indeed to make radial (air cooled) engines and inline (water cooled) engines behave similarly! For example, to regulate cooling of a radiator, you open an array of cowl flaps to regulate air flow over the cylinders. Water cooled engines have buffers - the plumbing, water density, and radiator efficiencies. They will substantially increase the time lapse between cowl/radiator flap opening and the engine cooling. They are fundamentally different, and any model ignoring that will be a very poor model.

Even though I posted what I did simply as a possible example of a shared service for cylinder temp, to further what you've just raised because you've made me think on it even though you've moved the goal posts:

They're not fundamentally different as you think they are.

Air and water are both fluids.

Yes, there's various parameters to the fluid, but going abstract the only functional differences here is if the moving fluid is travelling internally through the cylinder or around its outer casing, which is only cared for when figuring out how much heat can be dumped.

The detail about if it's a closed loop or not (buffers, flaps etc...) would be calculated in steps before and after the cylinder temp calulator and is irrelevant to it. You're working out your params for the working fluid before they hit the cylinder and after (once fluid has increased in temp).

Yes, you'd end up writing a sub modules to handle the types of loop, but that's just another part of bigger system. With a radial, it's likely the post calculation info can be discarded, while for inline the post will feedback to the next calcultion of the pre-calc info.

We are talking about a piece of game code, it's likely going to be called once per tick of the simulation, and you can certainly hold on to information to pass to the next tick.

This is all just an example though, but if I can come up with it in about 5 minutes, pretty sure ED will have already built a system which does it and supports our conjecture that any modelling upgrades can hopefully be ported to other engine types.

Beating a Dead Horse.

I Said it was $39.99 on release in 2012, that chart only goes back to 2015. DCS World was released long before it was on Steam.

And? The full price has dropped to $20 as demonstrated by DCS's own store page. It will now increase to $40. One price point in the distant past means nothing. Do you think Arma/Mass Effect 1/Crysis/whatever going from £40 to £7 means they've been running a decade long sale or that a return to their launch RRPs wouldn't count as a price hike?

Why is this still a thing the other thread about it was closed for a reason.

Because a mod was spreading misinformation by claiming it wasn't a price increase, despite all evidence to the contrary.

get over it.

Great argument, way to engage. Why so desperate to defend a company's products? Are you under the misapprehension that because they make a game you enjoy that they're your buddies?

Would like to see:

Panavia Tornado

Panther AS565

English Electric Lightning.

It must be very simplistic indeed to make radial (air cooled) engines and inline (water cooled) engines behave similarly! For example, to regulate cooling of a radiator, you open an array of cowl flaps to regulate air flow over the cylinders. Water cooled engines have buffers - the plumbing, water density, and radiator efficiencies. They will substantially increase the time lapse between cowl/radiator flap opening and the engine cooling. They are fundamentally different, and any model ignoring that will be a very poor model.

He is just saying its very possible that they are developing a much better piston engine system in general, like radial, inline, opposing, cooled by whatever ect.

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

Price was 39.99

Price was discounted to 19.99

Price was reset to 39.99

There fore it was not an increase.

End of Discussion.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

ADo you think Arma/Mass Effect 1/Crysis/whatever going from £40 to £7 means they've been running a decade long sale or that a return to their launch RRPs wouldn't count as a price hike?

You are right, once the price of games you mentioned dropped, it stay that way. But once the version 2, 3, or whatever came out, you had to pay for it.

DCS World 2.5 is free. Most likely DCS World 3 will be too.

Price was decreased, price was increased back to what it was before , but still an increase, i don't know why people are getting so bent out of shape about this.

Even if it went to $25 it would be an increase, if it goes up, its increased, if it goes down, its decreased. Thats life.

Edited by kolga

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

Price was decreased, price was increased back to what it was before , but still an increase, i don't know why people are getting so bent out of shape about this.

Even if it went to $25 it would be an increase, if it goes up, its increased, if it goes down, its decreased. Thats life.

Hear, hear. It is pretty clear indeed, but not for the Skate and a few others is seems :D.

Skate, seriously, I respect you for all your tech and skin-making knowledge & advice about DCS, but sometimes, in non-tech topics, when you go almost flatearther mode with your semantics shenanigans, it's difficult to have a sensible conversation with you.

Temp89 is getting bent out of shape a little for being treated like an idiot and I can't blame him.

We're not questioning the fact of module prices being bumped up - ED had their business reasons so they did it. Nevertheless, for a certain, long period of time, x bucks was a standard price in both official sales channels, with all standard rules about bonus points, promos and whatnot being applied accordingly. Now it's going to be x+y. Whether someone turns US-lawyer-mode and calls it "reset", or "renewal", "revision", re-whatever, that's still an increase. "End of Discussion" one might say.

I would rather see you fixing the steel panels colour tone on that F-86 template of yours rather than being stubborn here just for the sake of being stubborn ;).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

He's implying that the C.A. Price was increased higher than what it ever was, showing charts of it being $19.99.

The Price was not increased past the original Release Prices, Which is my point.

Whether we call it a reset, increase or removal of discounts doesn't matter,

When the meaning of his posts was to prove/imply that ED Doubled the price of the module higher than it ever was, which is not true.

As for the Earth Being flat, it's perspective, to a single person walking down a street, it appears flat. to a person in orbit in the ISS, it appears round.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

does this dicussion really still continues?

We are in no way affected by this and hopefully the money increase will help ED to develop awesome modules in the future...But @ED, a bit better communication prior those decisions would be fair to your customerbase...my 2 cents.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

does this dicussion really still continues?

We are in no way affected by this and hopefully the money increase will help ED to develop awesome modules in the future...But @ED, a bit better communication prior those decisions would be fair to your customerbase...my 2 cents.

Better communication how?, It was announced a month before the prices change (Feb being a Short month and about 6 days before the end of Jan.).

Better communication how?, It was announced a month before the prices change (Feb being a Short month and about 6 days before the end of Jan.).

Nahhh...forget about it, its an endless discussion. ED have its reasosns and I am not affected anyways, so I actually dont care

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Why aren't newsletters posted in official news forums section anymore ?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

+1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

+1

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

this hasn't been updated for a while as you see

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Isnt the raper british sam system?

Correct.

I think that pics can by make some "expectations" about CA and SAM/AAA systems on DCS World

rapier_fsa_launcher_5.jpg

- Towed system incoming? some "clues" has see on actual WW2 AAA systems.

- Deploy / Move by road to deploy / un-deploy by CA?

- AAA / SAM systems controlable by Fire post / CP station incoming on CA?