CH Fighter/Combat thumbswitch upgrade??

Rick50

Ok, now that we have some really sophisticated airframes requiring awesome HOTAS, I'm wondering if anyone's given any thought to the left side thumb hatswitch? I mean, the one that is used for selecting different AA weapons in the Hornet and Viper (and probably others too). The issue I'm looking at, is that on both the Viper and Hornet, it's not a 4 way hatswitch, it's a 5 way. Meaning, to select sidewinders, you need to press inward, not forward backward or side to side. The CH hatswitches don't seem to have this capability.

Now, getting hatswitches that can do this, that's easy, the big sites sell the switch for a dollar. But they don't seem to have an actual proper button. Nor do they include an easy mounting solution to just plug into a CH stick. Now, while the Fighterstick already has a 4way, this may not be that interesting to you. But I think anyone with a Combatstick, who only has a single function red button in that position, upgrading to a proper 5 way hat might be very welcome.

The way I see it, we would need to pick a 5way hatswitch, then design a 3d file for the switch to mount into, that fits into the thumb area of both sticks. And then a proper feeling cap to put on top of the switch.

Any interest in this?

Hey,

I have made a complete 3D printable 4 way hat for the CH sticks. I haven't uploaded it all yet, but it's done and tested. (Went through 5 iterations from Shapeways till everything fitted perfectly.) I didn't consider 5 way as the real F-16 has a 4 way CMS afaik. For converting Combatsticks to a Fighterstick I also made a PCB that lets install the fourth 4 way hat (DMS hat).

I have also made an upgrade mainboard and small shift registers for the CH products, so you can upgrade to 12 Bit resolution and add all the buttons you wish for. The upgrade mainboard is completely plug and play, but also has a lot of expansion capabilities. :)

Next is a Fighterstick/ Combatstick gimbal upgrade and a plug and play dual stage trigger mod.

IMG-20191112-164712.jpg IMG-20191028-120109.jpg IMG-20200116-212753.jpg

Edited by rel4y

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

I didn't consider 5 way as the real F-16 has a 4 way CMS afaik.

Rel4y,

VirPil and VKP - and even Thrustmaster with F/A-18 grip, moved away from the approach "make like real thing", but opt for add functionality for game use - without compromising much the appearance, since players wants "99 buttons" in joystick. :joystick:

"Quod abundat non nocet." ;)

Just put an 5 way HAT there don't solve the problem, since CH USB controller don't support additional buttons.

Anyway 2-3-4-5 way HAT for 3D Print, require 6x6 tactile micro-switches (e.g. OMRON B3F series) for assembly.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3641494

Agreed, but I was imagining hooking up that 5 way to a separate board like a Pro Micro, along with maybe a brake lever at the front. Or piggy back off of a board that rel4y making for the upgrades he's doing.... I don't think this would be a common upgrade, just an option for those that want to make it more real.

Edited by Rick50

I didn't consider 5 way as the real F-16 has a 4 way CMS afaik.

I wouldn't know... I only assumed the F-16 did since the Warthog stick features it, and was licenced... but I've not looked up real Viper documentation.

However: the Hornets DO use a 5 way on this position, and I think that's also the case on F-15E's, (no idea about Harriers), at least according to the documentation I've seen.

My focus was on the Hornet and having the most functionality, for all DCS modules, and aircraft outside of DCS too, not just the Viper!

Next is a Fighterstick/ Combatstick gimbal upgrade and a plug and play dual stage trigger mod.

That's very nice, thanks for all your efforts!!

Edited by Rick50

I only assumed the F-16 did since the Warthog stick features it, and was licenced... but I've not looked up real Viper documentation.

Don't trust too much in Thrustmaster marketing, their HOTAS Warthog grip is more copy of F-16 stick - and even now the same grip is sell as "F-16 Viper" grip, than from A-10 grip, look at real A-10 stick paddle lever to see the difference.

In A-10 and F-16 grips DMS HAT is 4 way

What is 5 way in A-10 grip (and HOTAS Warthog grip) is CMS HAT, but not in (real) F-16:

http://falcon4.wikidot.com/local--files/avionics:hotas/ssc-aa.jpg

But again, VirPil and VKB learn the lesson, now all their HAT's is 5 ways. After all they make game controllers. :D

Edited by Sokol1_br

Rel4y,

VirPil and VKP - and even Thrustmaster with F/A-18 grip, moved away from the approach "make like real thing", but opt for add functionality for game use - without compromising much the appearance, since players wants "99 buttons" in joystick. :joystick:

Yeah, the mantra seems to be the more, the merrier. But OK, that's a trend I can at least relate to and which makes some sense. :)

What really gets me is that people love 100% real cockpits, but then want shitty heavy zamak grips when all modern fighters use light weight much higher quality resin grips. I even feel bad calling zamak a metal, because it has the mechanical properties of horsepoop...

But like you said before, the heavier the more real people think it is.. TM should simply rererelease the zamak F-16 err Warthog grip with lead weights. People will love it! :D

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

• 2 months later...
Yeah, the mantra seems to be the more, the merrier. But OK, that's a trend I can at least relate to and which makes some sense. :)

What really gets me is that people love 100% real cockpits, but then want shitty heavy zamak grips when all modern fighters use light weight much higher quality resin grips. I even feel bad calling zamak a metal, because it has the mechanical properties of horsepoop...

But like you said before, the heavier the more real people think it is.. TM should simply rererelease the zamak F-16 err Warthog grip with lead weights. People will love it! :D

lol. You aren't wrong. It has also limited the selection of grips light enough for use with force feedback.