Can I use sidearms and sidewinders

Harlikwin

At the same time?

I recall reading that this wasn't a good idea due to cooling systems, but can't find the ref now? Do I recall correctly? Also is this doable in game?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It's certainly doable in game.

I've never touched the cooling switch.

Does it actually do anything?

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Yes, I use them both all the time.

The cooling switch is basically only a fall-back system, and AFAIK actually does nothing in DCS as the cooling never fails.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

It's certainly doable in game.

I've never touched the cooling switch.

Does it actually do anything?

Yes, it cools down the IR mavericks othwerwise you can't use them. But for sidearms it is not needed in dcs afaik.

I don't use it for Mavericks either.

I guess it's just a switch that doesn't work quite like it's supposed to. Or maybe you just don't need it, as C O says.

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Yes, it cools down the IR mavericks othwerwise you can't use them. But for sidearms it is not needed in dcs afaik.

Do you have a source for that information ?

NATOPS says the IR Cooling switch is for sidewinders only and not to use it with sidearms as it will uncage the radar seeker head which may be damaged by G forces as it hits it's gimbal limits.

The IR Maverick's INS gyro and IR cooling are part of the 3 minute initialisation that occurs when the Maverick weapon stations are powered up - it's separate from the IR cool switch.

[Can I use sidearms and sidewinder] At the same time?

AFAIK, in real life, IR cooling can also be selected per station via a MPCD stores sub page, which is how mixed loadouts of sidearm/sidewinder can be used in real life (don't remember the source for that info though).

...Also is this doable in game?

IIRC, yes, as Sidearm radar seeker head damage isn't modelled in DCS, enabling the IR Cooling Switch for Sidewinders doesn't negatively affect loaded Sidearms.

Edited by Ramsay
Add OP's original question.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The IR Maverick's INS gyro and IR cooling are part of the 3 minute initialisation that occurs when the Maverick weapon stations are powered up - it's separate from the IR cool switch.

Interesting, so it must have been a placebo effect then.

The mavericks would not uncage for me, then i noticed it is because they were on "standby" mode. Then when i turned the ir cooling switch after a few minutes they were marked as "ready" and would finally uncage and work properly, so i concluded that the switch was working.

But now that you say that, i understand what happened, thanks for the info.