HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

What prompt instruction are you talking about? What program tells you to look up and down and side to side? I've installed Windows portal 3 times and it's never prompted me to do that and neither has any other program. Where have you seen these prompts?
When you first put the headset on with just the WMR Portal running it prompts to look around. Seems to be a bit random though.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

When you first put the headset on with just the WMR Portal running it prompts to look around. Seems to be a bit random though.
Yup it always did this for me in the Odyssey too. If it didn't, it usually meant the service had been running already in the background...which windows seems to be really good about keeping that up lol.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Yup it always did this for me in the Odyssey too. If it didn't, it usually meant the service had been running already in the background...which windows seems to be really good about keeping that up lol.

Are you talking about Mixed Reality Portal already running in the background or some other service? I don't see Mixed Reality Portal running in the background already?

Are you talking about Mixed Reality Portal already running in the background or some other service? I don't see Mixed Reality Portal running in the background already?
Yea mine would always run in the background. The later windows updates may have fixed this now.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

In windows mixed reality settings under windows I think you can turn off voice commands. You can leave Oculus installed but you may want to stop it from launching automatically by disabling one of the admin properties in the shortcut settings.

Thanks...I unchecked "Speech". For some reason, I thought it was for disabling the HMD mic. Now it does not recognize any of Reverb's shortcuts.:)

I'd bet that 70% or more of the "issues" buyers have/had with the Reverbs are because they are not receiving enough power. Even most units before the "big revisions" of HP.

Mine is from the first day they became available, and the only problem I had with it was random sound disconnects. But, at this point, I'm not even sure it was a problem with my Reverb. I think it was actually some glitch with that particular WMR update. The problem disappeared as suddenly as it appeared. There is a lot of misinformation out there about version X versus version Y, so its really hard to discern fact from fiction on these headsets. Mine has worked great since the day I got it though, and I have a dedicated PCIe USB card that is just for my HMD.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I fixed my problem by plugging my usb into a powered usb hub instead. Before I had it plugged into a powered usb pci card, but it was that which was causing these out of boundary messages. So if you have any problems with a HP Reverb buy yourself a powered Usb Hub and not a powered pci usb card. Might even have been the drivers on the usb card it didn't like.

Edited by joebloggs

I fixed my problem by plugging my usb into a powered usb hub instead. Before I had it plugged into a powered usb pci card, but it was that which was causing these out of boundary messages. So if you have any problems with a HP Reverb buy yourself a powered Usb Hub and not a powered pci usb card. Might even have been the drivers on the usb card it didn't like.
Pcie card should work I've also heard people have issues with the hubs too. Unfortunately my hub is on my desk so I would need to buy another one so that the stupid split cable can work without reach issues.

I have a decent pcie card. The important thing to note is if you buy a card, make sure it has its own independent bandwidth for the USB 3.0 ports. Not all cards have this, but the startek ones do.

You also need a separate powered PCIe card, NOT one which is pulling its power over the PCIe port. There are some options. It's just lottery all over again if you buy a normal card.

Yup. Not all PCIe USB cards are actually what is considered powered cards. There are many of them out there that are only "powered" by the PCIe bus. An actual, powered PCIe USB card will have a power socket on top of it where you plug in one of your spare, 4-pin PSU cables. Anything less, and you're only adding to the problem.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yup. Not all PCIe USB cards are actually what is considered powered cards. There are many of them out there that are only "powered" by the PCIe bus. An actual, powered PCIe USB card will have a power socket on top of it where you plug in one of your spare, 4-pin PSU cables. Anything less, and you're only adding to the problem.
Yes the one I have has a sata power connector also needed to be attached to it.

The Innatek does have a separate power connector .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I did have the 4 or 5 port innatek. It's in my closet now. It had issue after some months with the Cv1. Maybe because of the drivers or windows drivers. But I had to replace it with the more expensive startek one.

The Innatek is the one I bought in 2016 when I got my CV1, and its what I still use with my Reverb. It has never given me any issues.

The Innatek does have a separate power connector .

@Digitalvole

Yes it's the 4 port usb innatek that Oculus suggested and it's also powered because it has a plug on the top. I was using windows drivers for it though because I had problems with my Oculus CV1 and the innatek drivers. Since plugging the HP Reverb into this powered hub I've got rid of the boundary messages that was causing games to glitch. I'm not sure if the PCI card is faulty or what but it definitely doesn't work with HP Reverb.

I had tried reinstalling Mixed Reality Portal before changing the usb to the powered hub and all sorts of other fixes. Like reinstalling Mixed Reality for Steam, reinstalling Steam VR and getting brighter lights for my room and putting markers on my walls etc. None this worked for me, so it was obviously the powered Pci usb card causing the problem.

All I'm saying is take note that it could be your usb causing problems like it was for me. I would never of guessed it was my usb because there was no disconnect sounds from my usb and you just expect them to work, or should I say I do.

Edited by joebloggs

I was reading several post here about how to run the reverb and I want to ask you some questions:

1) Do I need to connect the Reverb to an external powered USB hub to feed properly the googles?

2) I have not the steam version of DCS, Can I play DCS with the WMR portal directly (like I do with my Rift) or do I need to install another software like steam VR?

Thank you.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

I was reading several post here about how to run the reverb and I want to ask you some questions:

1) Do I need to connect the Reverb to an external powered USB hub to feed properly the googles?

2) I have not the steam version of DCS, Can I play DCS with the WMR portal directly (like I do with my Rift) or do I need to install another software like steam VR?

Thank you.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

The Reverb plugs direct to computer via display port and USB 3.0 connection. You will need to Install steam VR to use the stand alone version of DCS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

The Reverb plugs direct to computer via display port and USB 3.0 connection. You will need to Install steam VR to use the stand alone version of DCS

Thank you.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

@joebloggs thanks for the heads up, unrelated but your username brings back memories of the 90s, hadn’t heard that name in a long time ;)

Ok so I checked inside my pc this morning and it turns out I did plug the inatek usb card into the power supply (no memory of doing that) but it still can’t be relied upon? Interesting. Should it get enough power from the MB USB ports? My power supply is 1000w. I do have a powered external usb hub but I’d guess that wouldn’t be a good place to plug it in. If none of that works I’ll have to get the startek one you have sze5003, I hope it wasn’t much more expensive because funds are running out haha.

Oh and my reverb arrives at lunchtime today so I want to learn as much as I can before I plug it in to avoid unnecessary headaches/disappointments. The vr4dcs.com info, is that still current best advice? Bloody useful if so for some one like me coming from oculus

@joebloggs thanks for the heads up, unrelated but your username brings back memories of the 90s, hadn’t heard that name in a long time ;)

Ok so I checked inside my pc this morning and it turns out I did plug the inatek usb card into the power supply (no memory of doing that) but it still can’t be relied upon? Interesting. Should it get enough power from the MB USB ports? My power supply is 1000w. I do have a powered external usb hub but I’d guess that wouldn’t be a good place to plug it in. If none of that works I’ll have to get the startek one you have sze5003, I hope it wasn’t much more expensive because funds are running out haha.

Oh and my reverb arrives at lunchtime today so I want to learn as much as I can before I plug it in to avoid unnecessary headaches/disappointments. The vr4dcs.com info, is that still current best advice? Bloody useful if so for some one like me coming from oculus

Try your innatek card first. It may work depending on your motherboard, etc. No idea why it didn't work for me even with the CV1. Well it did but eventually things would go haywire and I'd lose connection/tracking.

Since you have a powered USB hub try that too, if you see issues with the innatek card.

Only reason why I don't use my Anker powered hub is because the headset cable does not reach both the desktop which is under my desk and the hub which sits on top of my desk.

If your reverb has issues with the powered hub call HP and have them send you another one out. That should not be happening. There is a thread on Reddit where a user was having black screens and tried a pcie card, still has issues and HP is sending him another.

Last resort would be to buy another card like this one. That's what I use currently.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJZEA2S/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_WpeQDbWE5KZ82

My second reverb arrives today. I plan on using that dcs VR site too. But I don't know if it has been updated at all.

General crash advice please:

I have started getting a few blue screen crashes (HMD only) a few seconds after tracking goes awry and following the blue screen I can still see DCS on the desktop screen with a note about SteamVR crashing. It seems to occur maybe after 30 minutes of play or longer.

Obviously, I've updated all drivers but could someone provide some general advice on which crash log to look at (e.g. Windows, WMR, Steam/SteamVR)

I know I'll have to get dirty here myself but somewhere to start would be helpful, cheers.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Need your help Reverb veterans. I fired up my Reverb at the lab and noticed that the trees and buildings look like they are not motion smoothed. They appear so much worse than in my Rift S suddenly. Can anyone cue me in on all the motion smoothing settings either in Steam VR or DCS (I currently am running MSAA at 2X and SSAA at 2X)

Also, where is the setting to enable or disable Steam VR beta? What is the latest Steam VR beta up to? (I think I am on something like 1.7.15 or something)

Finally, I have not had a chance to follow most of this thread but I have a new Reverb coming from Amazon tomorrow. How do I know if I got the corrected version of the headset with all the kinks ironed out?

Thanks fellas!

Aurelius,

What do you have your SteamVR supersampling set to? Having it higher than 100% has no benefit, and the higher it goes, the more ghosting you're going to get with trees and buildings.

As for the question about the corrected version. There's so much internet-rumor-based speculation being stated as fact on that, I would just plug the thing in and use it, and see how it goes. Amazon has a really good return policy if it has issues. One thing you'll want to do when you get your Reverb is to make sure the earphone attachment screws are tight. They were a little loose on mine when I got it. Ended up finding that out when I started investigating why the sound was intermittent.

Aurelius,

What do you have your SteamVR supersampling set to? Having it higher than 100% has no benefit, and the higher it goes, the more ghosting you're going to get with trees and buildings.

As for the question about the corrected version. There's so much internet-rumor-based speculation being stated as fact on that, I would just plug the thing in and use it, and see how it goes. Amazon has a really good return policy if it has issues. One thing you'll want to do when you get your Reverb is to make sure the earphone attachment screws are tight. They were a little loose on mine when I got it. Ended up finding that out when I started investigating why the sound was intermittent.

The dcs VR guide says to use stable steam vr and beta windows wmr for steam (app from steam) and set the super sampling in steam to 100-150% so that you see your headsets native resolution displayed in steam.

Is this what people are doing?