Is the Mi-8 easier to land than the UH-1H? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
kontiuka
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrohde View Post
For me, I find the Huey with the 1.2.6 updates to be much, much easier to land than ever before. In comparison, however, the Mi-8 is still a bit easier to land overall; the wheeled landing gear, as compared to skids, does help as well.
Don't seem to get into VRS, or at least severe VRS, nearly as much.
kontiuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #22
fjacobsen

I find that the MI-8 is neither easier or harder to land, just different.

Something I had to learn is that the scale on the vertical speed indicator is m/sec and not ft/min.

The trick durig approach and landing is not to descend faster than max 3 m/sec below 100 km/hr, otherwise You will enter VRS very fast.

I think the onset of right pedal requirement when comming out of translational lift should be tweaked a bit, since it comes too suddently and exaggerated.

Just my opinion.
fjacobsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #23
skouras

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjacobsen View Post
I find that the MI-8 is neither easier or harder to land, just different.

Something I had to learn is that the scale on the vertical speed indicator is m/sec and not ft/min.

The trick durig approach and landing is not to descend faster than max 3 m/sec below 100 km/hr, otherwise You will enter VRS very fast.

I think the onset of right pedal requirement when comming out of translational lift should be tweaked a bit, since it comes too suddently and exaggerated.

Just my opinion.
this
skouras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #24
power5

I have not landed yet. I can take off....ok. Seems I always spin my way off the ground. No matter how much left rudder I think I need, I rotate right and back. So, I still need to find the sweet spot. But when descending I always seem to pull too much collective in my flare and end up falling down backwards. Even bounced off the ground in the UN opening mission losing my skids. Didn't realize I had hydro problems after that and tried to land again and failed. I was able to land the Ka50 within about an hour of flying it. I have flown the huey for about 5 hours now and have not gotten a successful landing yet. Anyone got any huey tips?

Aaron
i7 2600k@4.4ghz, GTX1060-6gb, 16gb DDR3, T16000m, Track IR5

BS2-A10C-UH1-FC3-M2000-F18C-A4E-F14B
power5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #25
b00ce

Always be moving forward when trying to land. winds make flying helicopters easier too.
b00ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:57 AM   #26
power5

The training video makes take off to hover and hover landing look simple.

I recalibrated my controls and I was able to skid land. Cannot for the life of me come into a hover from speed. I dont think I have enough patience. I think something is wrong with my pedals. I get lots of jump in them when watching the controls diagram sometimes.

Aaron

Old 09-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #27
lorenzoj

I'll going along with the " they are both different " appraisals. I've greased landings moving and from a hover in both and left pieces scattered about in both. Each requires learning somewhat different techniques. But learning the character and techniques of each is a blast. Even when you mess up you still want to give it just "one more go". NICE JOB BY ED FOR SURE
lorenzoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #28
power5

Not ED, Belsimtek. But yes, they have 2 magnificent Helos in very short time. Amazing what they are capable of doing in their development time. Can't wait for their next modules, I will be buying each one for sure. Want that Cobra ASAP.

Aaron

Old 09-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #29
wasserfall

I find the Mi8 very hard to control in the hover, despite smooth inputs.
Though i have my Warthog curves linear without a curve and a deadzone of 2.
What are the best control settings for you?
Old 09-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #30
fjacobsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasserfall View Post
I find the Mi8 very hard to control in the hover, despite smooth inputs.
Though i have my Warthog curves linear without a curve and a deadzone of 2.
What are the best control settings for you?
Personally I prefer using the stock settings ie. linear "curves", no deadzone and maximum sensivity.

While it might be easier to control hover with curves that makes movement around center less sensitive, learning to fly without any curves is much better. Remember that the curves don´t follow the trim positi, so whenever trim is moved from center, the inputs becomes less predictable.

In the end it´s all abut practice practice....
Don´t try to hard and don´t grip You controls so tense that You don´t feel relaxed. The secret is to keef relaxed and learn to anticiptaed the required movements of the controls.

Make shallow approaches and keep away from quick stops an steep approaches. Land both helis as if they where a small Cessna 172, keep the same approach path with the only exception that instead of ending doen on the runway You end up in a hover a few feets of the runway.

Once speed is below 20 kts in the Huey or 50 km/hr in the Mi-8, don´t descend faste than 300 ft/min in the Huey and 3 m/s in the Mi-8. Be prepared to add collective and pedal once comming out of translational lift (decelerating towards hover).

Practice using a runwar and try to end up on the same spot, but don´t try too hard, then better accpet that You will land farther down the runway and make another try.

Focusing too blind and not discover that it will end right is one of the biggest issues You will have to fight. Learn when to make a go-around.
fjacobsen is offline   Reply With Quote