Communication Menu functionality confusion and gauge lights not showing

There are 2 smallish threads in Bugs here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=277600 and https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=276398 highlighting some of the things that have broken in the last couple of patches.

Various gauge lights, e.g. LG, are not working due to the current shader issues. Hopefully, that will be resolved soon by ED.

I am also sure that the Comms Menu behaviour has changed as I used to use it for communicating with ATC etc. in-flight.

EDIT: Changed post to more reflect the nature of the issues being discussed.

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Maybe all the WW2 enthusiasts are distracted with the P47 for now? :)

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Maybe the ww2 folks are Not drama queens. But in all seriousness most things that are found have a proper bug report with track files. Also allot of comms happens with nine line and bignewy on discord for the ww2 stuff. :thumbup:

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Maybe the ww2 folks are Not drama queens. But in all seriousness most things that are found have a proper bug report with track files. Also allot of comms happens with nine line and bignewy on discord for the ww2 stuff. :thumbup:

Don't really know what your point is. This is the offical DCS forum for posting bugs re Spitfire.

The links I posted are bug reports and have track files attached. That was posted more than 10 days ago, I think, and no acknowlegement by ED.

If a certain other module had no comms menu, I'm pretty sure we would see a hot fix!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Whats your point? If the threads are done right as you say then it should be attended to. Dont play the little kid favorites game, you think the Jug gets hotfixes? Ya it doesn't. I gave you the clue in how to get your issue attended to and that is ping Nineline and Bignewy on discord about it. Forum doesnt need to be a dramatic place to get results Things are not seen and ww2 on the forums certainly is not a focus so best route use discord.

Whats your point? If the threads are done right as you say then it should be attended to. Dont play the little kid favorites game, you think the Jug gets hotfixes? Ya it doesn't. I gave you the clue in how to get your issue attended to and that is ping Nineline and Bignewy on discord about it. Forum doesnt need to be a dramatic place to get results Things are not seen and ww2 on the forums certainly is not a focus so best route use discord.

My point is that the threads are done right, and they are not being attended to. Don't know how that is hard to understand.

So, you think it's playing kids games to ask about getting some attention from the devs for new bugs that effectively disable a long-standing module in campaigns? Interesting...

My point is that the threads are done right, and they are not being attended to. Don't know how that is hard to understand.

So, you think it's playing kids games to ask about getting some attention from the devs for new bugs that effectively disable a long-standing module in campaigns? Interesting...

Not at all, the way you said it was childish. Anyway hope you contact nineline and such and get a answer . :pilotfly:

We’ll agree to disagree on the purpose of these forums and the definition of childish. Language is a fascinating thing!

Yes, for the people who made the original posts and every Spit user, I hope BN does respond here soon.

All the lamps work (Caucasus). There is a color palette error that makes them invisible in (most) angles / lightning conditions. Demonstrated for LG lamp here.

The LG lamp works.

The fuel lamp works.

The Turbocharger lamp works.

What of the Comms menu?

Refuel / rearm works.

Repair works.

Radio ATC works.

Push-to-Talk I didn't get to work but I'm not sure I did everything right. (Ed/Add Push to Talk key bind worked offline, so probably my eff up).

Please someone confirm Push-to-Talk works?

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

All the lamps work. There is a color palette error that makes them invisible in (most) angles / lightning conditions.

Demonstrated for LG lamp here.

The LG lamp works.

The fuel lamp works.

The Turbocharger lamp works.

What of the Comms menu?

Refuel / rearm works.

Repair works.

Radio ATC works.

Push-to-Talk I didn't get to work but I'm not sure I did everything right.

Please someone confirm Push-to-Talk works?

The lamps may work, but as shown in thread you link to and others, they are not visible, so effectively they are not working.

The most critical thing is that the COMMS menu is not working. It can’t be shown. That makes the Spit unusable in campaigns.

1 patch ago.

Corrected lights in the cockpits of next aircraft: Yak-52, Su-25, Su-25T, MiG-29, A-10A, F-86F, L-39C, L-39ZA, A-10C, MiG-15bis, P-51D-25NA, P-51D-30NA, TF-51D, UH-1H, F-15C, F-5E

Spitfire not listed. P-51 definitely changed (cockpit light much weaker). Maybe the color palette gets fixed in a new patch. Someone did say that "a lot of planes palettes got screwed up" (words to effect).

How does the COMMS menu not work?

I can, as said, refuel / rearm / radio.

Are we talking about the same thing?

Make a track of the error. Make it a separate bug thread from palette error if it is a separate error.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

I am talking about the main communication menu. It is not working after the last patch or two as reported elsewhere. Nothing brings it up. Look in the controls menu under ‘communications menu’ (I think). Pretty sure keyboard command is ‘/‘.

It works for me (Caucasus and offline). Again, I can Refuel / Rearm / ATC from it.

Copied from "Make HTML", so we are talking about the same thing.

"\" COMM Communication menu Communications
Make a track so other people can run and verify.
Edited by -0303-

Interesting, so you see the menu coming up top right when you press the slash key? Are you running the latest OB? Doesn’t work for me and others in current OB build.

I could post a track in the morning, but don’t know how useful it would be. A cockpit shot for a few seconds?

Top right menu, yes (refuel / rearm / ATC works).

"version": "2.5.6.50793"

Try different server and offline.

Track, the shorter the better. Make sure it's a "clean" install, no mods in main folder and force a new Saved Games (rename is simplest).

Advantage of pristine Saved Games is also, you'll know for certain it's not a messed up key binding. Make track offline, so it isn't the Channel terrain.

The menu's will operate visibly in a track.

If track doesn't work for other people then we'll know it's a bug of some kind.

Sounds like you guys are talking about this problem:https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=276893

If you're using the default slash key in flight then you're not pressing the radio switch, and it used to display the radio menu but not transmit messages.. now for many modules it won't display the communications menu at all.

As the man said.

Assign a stick button to the \ key.

Edited by Holbeach
Changed / to \.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

As the man said.

Assign a stick button to the / key.

Binding doesn’t work either. I only used the keystroke as that should work for everyone.

Only stopped working in the last couple of patches.

I tried it again in stable and it didn't work.

In Beta it does work OK. (In the air, easy comm only).

I'm going to try the Harrier to see if that's changed, as it use to be OK. (OK).

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Sounds like you guys are talking about this problem:https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=276893

If you're using the default slash key in flight then you're not pressing the radio switch, and it used to display the radio menu but not transmit messages.. now for many modules it won't display the communications menu at all.

Right! So, after looking at some answers here, I now realise this is a DCS-wide change in behaviour.

What happens is that with weight-on-wheels, the CM key/bindingworks OK, but the second the aircraft leaves the runway, it stops working. This is a recent change.

This is the same in other modules I have looked at, e.g. F-5E, Kurfurst, etc., so the Spit is not unique in this change.

The issue is resolved by using 'push-to-talk' or 'use mic' type commands which bring up the same menu.

I should also add that I have never used Easy Comms.

Regarding lighting issues, I had forgotten about something -0303- mentioned in post #11 from the patch notes. I guess we'll just have to wait for the Spit to be fixed in that respect. However, the F-5E is on that list, and it is most definitely not fixed. Thgere are no lights on the radar, and it is impossible to tell what is going on there. Still, that is OT in the Spit forum.

Not sure about the radio change (?). When I started playing DCS in 2014 I was informed that with easy comms off, comms command by default worked only on the ground, while PTT command worked both on the ground and in the air. That's how I've always been using them without issues and I thought it applied to all DCS modules - quite surprised to read now that apparently that was not the case.

Well, in either case, I suggest using PTT/mic command as it seems to be the most reliable option.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

What happens is that with weight-on-wheels, the CM key/bindingworks OK, but the second the aircraft leaves the runway, it stops working. This is a recent change.

The issue is resolved by using 'push-to-talk' or 'use mic' type commands which bring up the same menu.

DpQ9YJl.png

It's not new behavior (not entirely anyway). There's been a difference ground and air "always" (key or Push-to-Talk) since I got DCS 2018.

It depends on server (realism?) settings though.

- Hoggit training server (Caucasus) "\" works on ground, Push-to-talk works in air (realism?). Ed/add: confused myself, PTT works both gnd & air.

-Aerobatic server. Only "\" works, on ground or in air (easy Comm settings?).

Edited by -0303-

Not sure about the radio change (?). When I started playing DCS in 2014 I was informed that with easy comms off, comms command by default worked only on the ground, while PTT command worked both on the ground and in the air. That's how I've always been using them without issues and I thought it applied to all DCS modules - quite surprised to read now that apparently that was not the case.

Well, in either case, I suggest using PTT/mic command as it seems to be the most reliable option.

Thanks for that. Yes, I agree. to be honest, I think this might have been a red herring on my part, as I think my bindings got screwed up somewhere, as I checked in my exisiting stable 2.5.5 build and noticed that in fact I had the same bind on my HOTAS for push-to-talk as I had for Comm Menu in OB, so maybe it is working as 'normal' after all!

Still confused as to why the CM comes up on ground and yet, disappears on take-off. What is the reason behind that?

Still confused as to why the CM comes up on ground and yet, disappears on take-off. What is the reason behind that?

Because it is as if you switch from yelling out of the cockpit to using your radio. Default keybind being RAlt + \.

Because it is as if you switch from yelling out of the cockpit to using your radio. Default keybind being RAlt + \.

Sorry, not convinced by that. you can do the same things from the CM as with push-to-talk, e.g. flight comms, ATC, etc.

You don't shout to ATC to abort take off from a runway! If it was just the ground crew menu, I would agree.