A10C NOT FLYING STRAIGHT...

i need suggestion.....

so, I have purchased the A10C when it was half the price but I cannot enjoy flying this jet for more than 10 minutes... Not sure what i am doing wrong....

I cannot get the A10C to fly in straight level, it will either go UUUUUUP or DOWWWNNN, or worst swing left or right..... why is this so hard to fly ?

compare to the FA18 & F16... these two jets fly PERFECT 100% straight level on the dime !....

what am i doing wrong or am I missing anything prior to takeoff ???

I checked all my AXIS-COMMAND and all are setup correctly.

please help ?

A-10 needs pitch trim adjustments with power changes.

Only two things I can think of that would cause significant roll deviations:

1) Asymmetric Loads

2) Rudder displacement through either trim or double binding

It’s a very “hands on” aircraft .. There is no Flight Computer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Yep,

trim, trim and trim.

You have been to spoiled.

Trim her good then use the 3 different autopilot settings for a little hands-off.

Add some curves to your controls, unless using an extension etc.

Axis tuning

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

lol yeah trim is your friend. Best to have a Track IR to give the trim hat back to its intended function.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I used to think the A-10C needed a lot of trim based on power, ordinance loaded etc.

Then I got the P-47D

As others mention, trim to power and loadout - constantly.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

• ED Team
i need suggestion.....

so, I have purchased the A10C when it was half the price but I cannot enjoy flying this jet for more than 10 minutes... Not sure what i am doing wrong....

I cannot get the A10C to fly in straight level, it will either go UUUUUUP or DOWWWNNN, or worst swing left or right..... why is this so hard to fly ?

compare to the FA18 & F16... these two jets fly PERFECT 100% straight level on the dime !....

please help ?

The reason Hornet and F-16 fly "straight" on their own is because they are Fly By Wire - you don't actually control the aircraft directly, the stick is essentially just a command interface for the autopilot that you input pitch, roll and yaw commands with. In A-10C you're in direct control of the aircraft - moving the stick side to side directly controls the ailerons, fore and aft controls the elevators, pedals control the rudder. So you need to understand the basic principles of flight. When you let go of all controls the control surfaces will return to the position where all forces acting on them are balanced. This usually won't be the position needed for level flight - that depends on your speed, altitude, load asymmetry etc. The latter actually occurs in F-16 and F-18 as well - pay attention to what happens if you release a weapon from one wing only, the aircraft will roll towards the heavier side, especially in F-16 since its flight control system doesn't really account for this unbalance, so you need to manually trim it in roll by pushing the trim hat towards lighter wing. In A-10, the aircraft is only equipped with stability augmentation system, which is meant to improve its handling, but it won't control it for you, so in addition to the above you might have to trim the aircraft in yaw to account for drag asymmetry, as well as, more often, trim it in pitch - as you accelerate and decelerate, the aircraft will pitch up and down if you don't steer. You need to always keep your hand on the stick and control the aircraft if you don't have autopilot on and after each manoeuvre, once you're back in level flight on a new course/altitude/speed, you need to manually trim out the forces on the stick using the trim hat until the aircraft flies straight without you having deflect the stick out of its neutral position. Note the order here - you use the stick to control the aircraft, don't use the trim hat for that, only use it to remove the forces once you're not manoeuvring any more.

• Like 4

i need suggestion.....

please help ?

As m4ti140 said: The F-16 and F/A-18 are Fly By Wire jets, with digital flight controls, that get corrected by the flight data computer. The A-10 on the other hand is a manual hands-on on jet, that needs constant input by the pilot. Welcome to old school flying ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 6 months later...

mouaherbert, i'll presume you've solved the issue, given the age of the topic but i'll take a swing at it....... i've remapped the trim controls to the arrow keys. in flight, a couple quick taps on the arrow keys should get you leveled. i've also remapped to the hat switch on my logitech extreme 3d pro the slew functions.

i did wonder if your weapons loadout may have been the culprit?

note that most of my statements are also questions 🙂 at 6+ decades i've still got a lifetime-size mostly-empty vessel to work with....... half of this is learning what NOT to do.

hope this helped....... in the beginning of my a-10c learning it was squeezing enough power from the turbofans to stay aloft....... i do think that proper trim procedures on most aircraft are in some cases sophisticated enough to warrant an entire video on trim alone.

be well, stay well!