VR Vision

How do people improve there vision as in spotting aircraft and targets other than zoom those who use track IR have a superior advantage its like they have bionic vision and VR is more realistic

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

How do people improve there vision as in spotting aircraft and targets other than zoom those who use track IR have a superior advantage its like they have bionic vision and VR is more realistic

I found it so easy with trackIR to spot, but now I have just moved to VR and it is very difficult to spot targets. I bought the Pimax 4K but am very disappointed so far especially with DCS, which is my favorite Flight Sim Platform. Hopefully one day the screen door effect will be gone.

There’s a number of similar threads open on the subject. IMO, spotting in only part of the problem, identification is nearly impossible until you’re virtually on top of the target.

Until ED provide a fix, I would love it if say one of the servers completely removed zoom for all users, such that VR users at least have parity.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Every multiplayer server should have zoom disabled as it is unrealistic and unfair anyways. But that would still keep big advantage on 4K display users as they can spot targets far far further than VR user can, and visually identify targets as well far further than VR user can.

The only way to make VR user on level with display users is to use a simplified labels like a dot and move it little further from the unit, but that is as well cheating same time and would give advantage to that user.

It is just unleveled situation for the moment as VR user can't see as well around as TrackIR user can (in reality you can't so easily look all around you but you are more limited to forward hemisphere. The VR user has more difficulties to operate the cockpit and read all the instruments and their labels, that gives big advantage for trackIR user as people who have no complete avionics memory can work better and so on complete their tasks better.

I don't know how ED can "fix" that difference, as it would require not just add a 3D model enlarger, but they would need to redo most avionics in all modules by simplifying them, retexturing and adjusting buttons, switches and knobs larger for more realistic visuals.

Too much work for tech that should improve in 5-6 years.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

There’s a number of similar threads open on the subject. IMO, spotting in only part of the problem, identification is nearly impossible until you’re virtually on top of the target.

Until ED provide a fix, I would love it if say one of the servers completely removed zoom for all users, such that VR users at least have parity.

ED can't fix a purely hardware based problem. Current generation VR goggles have insufficient resolution and too much screen door effect to be compensated for by software.

The best you can hope for is waiting to see how display technology advances over the coming years.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The problem with TrackIR and zooming is that it is TOTALLY UNREALISTIC! It reduces the wonderful simulation of DCS to the level of a game.

VR, while currently not perfect, is a LOT closer to real life. Hard to spot targets? Try that in RL through a dirty canopy on a hazy day with sweat in your eyes - it's a bitch! Tough checking 6 with your Rift - yeah, well, it's tough in the real jet too, and their ejection seats don't swivel!

In my opinion, even at the current state of the art VR is way closer to reality than TIR.

And zooming? Ever tried that in a plane? Not that easy - although to be honest FACs and A-10 drivers have been know to carry binoculars, and the F-15's used to have a rifle scope boresighted to the waterline - after a lock on they would simply put the TD box on the waterline and look through the scope for the VID. Dont see those anymore due to advances in ID systems (and Link 16).

I say go VR-only and find out what it's really like to get to the merge without a tally! BTDT!

Vulture

ED can't fix a purely hardware based problem. Current generation VR goggles have insufficient resolution and too much screen door effect to be compensated for by software.

The best you can hope for is waiting to see how display technology advances over the coming years.

Some of it is hardware, but there's also a significant discrepancy in game. The zoom for monitor users is MUCH higher than that for VR users. Not sure what it equates to for monitor users (x16 at a guess). For a VR user, it's x2 or nothing.

I've tried monitor play and can assure you that there's a HUGE difference in the ability to identify aircraft and ground targets.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

The problem with TrackIR and zooming is that it is TOTALLY UNREALISTIC!

No. You’re missing the basic reason why this is an important feature

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2561114&postcount=220

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

We really need the model enlargement back. That was the fix, it worked well. Problem is that people like SharpeXB made enough noise that they took it out. As is with all things these days, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

The last part of that quote gets to the real solution: BFGD. 60-65 inches of 4k at 120Hz with Gsync should give you the "life-size" dimensions we all should expect from DCS.

I am still a fan of using large flat panels despite also having Oculus Rift. I am still using only a 46-inch 1080p LCD TV at 60Hz, but intend to get a 60-inch or larger 4K display when the right opportunity presents itself. But even at that size with the display about 3 feet in front of you, it doesn't match the field of view of the Oculus Rift. It is close in the horizontal but at best half in the vertical. The head tracking of TrackIR is nowhere near as smooth, precise, and realistic as 1:1 in VR systems.

There are three reasons to stay with flat panels right now:

1) Cost. Beyond the cost of a VR headset/tracking system like Vive and Oculus, you need top a notch CPU, RAM, and GPU to enjoy it properly.

2) Resolution. VR looks almost as bad as using 640x480 on a flat panel. Even with newer hardware and carefully adjusted settings, it will at best be comparable to 800x600. I personally can't stomach anything less than 1080p or 1600x1200 even with great FSAA and aniso filtering.

3) Controls. Unless you have everything you need mapped to your HOTAS or you don't mind blindly grasping for other controls within your reach while still trying to fly, it is hard to beat a decent home simpit matched to a large screen or projector display. Of course, VR takes up considerably less space and can even be readily stored/hidden when not flying. So the simpit argument is a double-edged sword depending on personal preferences/needs.

If/when VR gets to a point where the field of view fills the limits of the human eye and has a resolution that matches/exceeds the so-called retinal display standards, I will be far less inclined to maintain a large 2d panel with TrackIR in parallel with my VR setup... but perhaps I may retain it for legacy games that don't support VR?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The last part of that quote gets to the real solution: BFGD. 60-65 inches of 4k at 120Hz with Gsync should give you the "life-size" dimensions we all should expect from DCS.

4K actually isn’t enough resolution to equal 20/20 eyesight. Imagine trying to read an eye chart in the sim and how much resolution you would need. Since you can’t increase the number of pixels on the screen, the solution is to zoom in and make objects larger.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5