Throttle controller not working on Startup.

Snacko

I have a separate collective controller with a throttle on it. Just like in the Huey. When I try to do a startup, the throttle in-game, does not respond to the throttle unless I press the keyboard key for throttle, or use my mouse to turn it. Then my controller works.

Why is this? I read somewhere that this is by design? But it seems like a bug. I see no reason for this... :mad: :cry:

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Throttle control assigment looks to work properly just from iddle to full open. From iddle to full closed must be done with the mouse (after pressing the retention release button). Maybe that is the case with your gear.

So for startup, to simulate the real procedure as close as possible, I need to bring throttle to iddle with the mouse, move it up and down with the assigned throttle control, bring it back to iddle, press the rettention release button just in case I need to close throttle (hot start) but not further close it by 1/8 of a full turn.

Edited by McFlurry

Thanks for your reply.

So you are saying that when I do a Ramp Start, the throttle is in the Closed (or Idle to Closed) position, which cannot be moved by any controller? And this is to prevent the player from moving the controller to the Closed position while flying? Preventing an unintentional fuel shut-off, which would crash the chopper?

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

Thanks for your reply.

So you are saying that when I do a Ramp Start, the throttle is in the Closed (or Idle to Closed) position, which cannot be moved by any controller? And this is to prevent the player from moving the controller to the Closed position while flying? Preventing an unintentional fuel shut-off, which would crash the chopper?

Well, I will not say that the reason is just to prevent an unintentional fuel shut off. As it happens with the real chopper, you need to press down the retention release button in order to close the throttle further down the idle position. So unless you press it intentionally, you can't fully close it and shut off the engine.

There is a practical difference between the real one and the sim, as with the first one, you need to press and hold the button and then turn off the throttle. But, as you know, in the sim you press the button once and it remains pressed.

Maybe it has been considered that there is no need to assing the movement between fully closed and idle, to any control. And I can just guess why. Think about it. If you were to have full range control of the throttle, then it will be possible to go trought the iddle point without pressing down the retention release button. Even if the movement were not simulated passing down the iddle possition, the position of the control, will no longer fit the throttle grip position till you move it back above the idle. So it looks either useless or difficult to simulate unless you have a hardware retention device.

And yes, you were right, if for any reason the relesase button were pressed or not properly working, as you have not a physical retention device in your control, you can move it pass the iddle position without noticing it.

Edited by McFlurry

The in-game retention device prevents you from opening or closing the throttle inadvertently. You press the button and you physically roll the throttle forward past the stop to get the throttle to push fuel. And from all the years Ive flown this Huey, not once did I ever have a problem rolling the throttle past the idle stop while in flight, so that tells me that it functions as intended. I still have to push the idle stop button if I want to chop the throttle to off, but I dont have to push it back in if I want to roll it forward again...that I can remember off the top of my head.

TL;DR just press the idle stop button on the collective and roll the throttle forward with your mouse, then use your controllers throttle to cycle the throttle to its idle position.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Right. But there is no need to press the button while opening throttle. The retention device doesn't work in that direction. You may bring the throttle from fully closed to fully opened just by twisting the grip. The retention should only work if you try to move it back below the idle position.

Just for curiosity, in the real helo, it is necessary to release any grip pressure against the retention device in order to allow the release mechanism to work. If you exert any pressure against it (by twisting the throttle grip) it will not allow further grip movement.

I have to press the button to rotate the throttle, and I have to press the button if I want to close the throttle. Are you referring to IRL?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

I have to press the button to rotate the throttle, and I have to press the button if I want to close the throttle. Are you referring to IRL?

Both.

As far as I can check, there is no need to press any button to open the throttle in my DCS Huey and that is how it must be. I can't tell why you have to do it in your sim. :huh:

Its always been that way for me.

My wallpaper and skins

Oh believe me, that button has to be pressed to turn the throttle..and your stop button is in. Thats why you dont have to.

My wallpaper and skins

After reading what was posted here I understand how it works. My Throttle controller cannot be used below Idle. I cannot increase out of closed, and I cannot decrease into closed with my controller. It stops at Idle. I then have to press the button to decrease from Idle to Closed with the Mouse wheel. Or I can increase out of Closed using the mouse, and the button is not needed.

Since I was trying to learn the Startup procedure, I wanted my controller to work as in real life. I have a button on it I could use, and the throttle on it to. But no Idle indent stop position. I think the devs thought about it and just decided to make it work this way because it was easier for them, and really wasn't critical to the sim. And might cause some problems/confusion if they let a controller without idle indent go in and out of closed.

At least now I understand what's going on. Thx. Cheers.

After reading what was posted here I understand how it works. My Throttle controller cannot be used below Idle. I cannot increase out of closed, and I cannot decrease into closed with my controller. It stops at Idle. I then have to press the button to decrease from Idle to Closed with the Mouse wheel. Or I can increase out of Closed using the mouse, and the button is not needed.

Since I was trying to learn the Startup procedure, I wanted my controller to work as in real life. I have a button on it I could use, and the throttle on it to. But no Idle indent stop position. I think the devs thought about it and just decided to make it work this way because it was easier for them, and really wasn't critical to the sim. And might cause some problems/confusion if they let a controller without idle indent go in and out of closed.

At least now I understand what's going on. Thx. Cheers.

Great!

BTW, If you are still interested in learning the startup procedure, I have a video published at Youtube with the complete one, including the warm-up and all the checks, adjusted from the real check list. It's long, it's in Spanish with subtitles, but it has most of the things that can be done with the sim. That is just for "the first flight of the day" so, normally, a shorter version of this will be used instead.

Thanks. If it's in Spanish it won't help me much. Even with subtitles. I have dyslexia, which makes it difficult to read, so I try to stick to video tutorials. Cheers.

I have a similar throttle issue with the A10c and my Saitek x55. The A10c also has an Idle detent. And on Startup, with a non-Warthog controller, you need to press a key to move the throttle to idle before the controller will work with the throttle ingame. With the Saitek Software I can create a 'band' at a point in the throttle's movement to send the keystroke. This works great. But my collective does not have software to do this.

o4azi6B.png

Edited by Snacko

• 9 months later...
Right. But there is no need to press the button while opening throttle. The retention device doesn't work in that direction. You may bring the throttle from fully closed to fully opened just by twisting the grip.

exactly.

this is clearly a bug, but years have passed and they don't seem to care.