CA First Impressions/Questions

KaspeR32

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to get a thread going where we can share what we've seen, learned in Combined Arms. I know there are a lot of new features so I'm sure there will be lots of new questions too.

So far I've only done a test mission with a few units, It's no Supreme Commander in terms of control capabilities but it is certainly a great start to an epic simulation.

Without labels, I was wondering also in First person mode how you know when your particular weapon is in range(SAM). There is no range bar or anything like that, is it just something you have to memorize?

I've played with some rocket artillery also, set a target area, hit start fire, and the unit just kind of sits there. I'm wondering if you have to have a scout set up ahead of him to actually "see" enemy targets, all stuff I'll learn as I go along I'm sure.

What are everyone else's initial thoughts?

Edited by KaspeR32

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without labels, I was wondering also in First person mode how you know when your particular weapon is in range(SAM). There is no range bar or anything like that, is it just something you have to memorize?

Which SAM?

Good rule of thumb is if you can see (without zoom) it you can shoot it. Success depends on the system - with the Tor it's pretty much a guaranteed kill if you launch within visual range. For others it depends - trial, error and scattered remnants of airframes :D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• ED Team
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to get a thread going where we can share what we've seen, learned in Combined Arms. I know there are a lot of new features so I'm sure they'll be lots of new questions too.

So far I've only done a test mission with a few units, It's no Supreme Commander in terms of control capabilities but it is certainly is a great start to an epic simulation.

I've played with some rocket artillery also, set a target area, hit start fire, and the unit just kind of sits there. I'm wondering if you have to have a scout set up ahead of him to actually "see" enemy targets, all stuff I'll learn as I go along I'm sure.

What are everyone else's initial thoughts?

1- Lock the unit with the Enter key and range to target is displayed in meters.

2- After an indirect fire mission is set, there is a several minute delay before the fire mission goes out.

Is there a user manual

In your CA module Doc folder.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Which SAM?

Good rule of thumb is if you can see (without zoom) it you can shoot it. Success depends on the system - with the Tor it's pretty much a guaranteed kill if you launch within visual range. For others it depends - trial, error and scattered remnants of airframes :D

It's the Avenger M1097.

I know I can see the range once I'm locked on, I just don't know each SAMs effective range. I didn't know if there was a range indicator like on that of the Maverick or something.

Thanks for the quick reply about the artillery also Wags.

Having fun playing with all this ;)

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

Switching turret weapon (E) to select the type of round currently allows firing of AP and HE in quick succession without reloading. I assume this is temporary?

You mean ammunition type for main gun of tank or artillery? IMHO it can't be reloaded, ammo switch will take effect after firring currently loaded round.

In RL, if you have loaded barrel of a howitzer, it can't be unloaded, it can be only fired.

Edited by Suchacz

My first impression is that ED wont let me pay for it =)

CA is in my cart. I'm stuck on the payment screen and trying to log into the site does nothing. I click forgot password and it says im logged in, then it returns me to the log in and says I need to log in. argh!

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

You mean ammunition type for main gun of tank or artillery? IMHO it can't be reloaded, ammo switch will take effect after firring currently loaded round.

In RL, if you have loaded barrel of a howitzer, it can't be unloaded, it can be only fired.

It is not firing the previously selected round so I don't think that is it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My first impression is that ED wont let me pay for it =)

CA is in my cart. I'm stuck on the payment screen and trying to log into the site does nothing. I click forgot password and it says im logged in, then it returns me to the log in and says I need to log in. argh!

Try a different browser.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

C'mon people, I'm stuck at work... living Combined Arms vicariously through the forum for a few days. Need more first impressions! :helpsmilie: And for crying out loud get some vids up on YouTube! ;)

Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Edited by lobo**
Speeling

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

The MLRS M270 (Rocket artillery) still doesn't seem to be firing even after 10- 15 minutes. Anyone else play with Artillery yet?

Also, I run out of ammo with a SAM Avenger, but when I give control back over to the computer AI, it's able to shoot again ;)

And I'm not gunna do a vid until I get a better understanding of this module. It seems to be pretty fun addition to DCS world but I have a feeling more people will be playing in F10 view or within an airplane.

The MLRS M270 (Rocket artillery) still doesn't seem to be firing even after 10- 15 minutes. Anyone else play with Artillery yet?

Also, I run out of ammo with a SAM Avenger, but when I give control back over to the computer AI, it's able to shoot again ;)

And I'm not gunna do a vid until I get a better understanding of this module. It seems to be pretty fun addition to DCS world but I have a feeling more people will be playing in F10 view or within an airplane.

Be Aware that Arty and Rocket Artillery will not fire if the range is within the min engagement range.

Nate

Nate you are correct. I guess there was a minimum range that I was within. Unfortunately, you can only see the maximum range in the editor, and when in game, you see neither maximum or minimum ranges. Only for air defense it seems.

Nate you are correct. I guess there was a minimum range that I was within. Unfortunately, you can only see the maximum range in the editor, and when in game, you see neither maximum or minimum ranges. Only for air defense it seems.

Yeah they could do with Range Circles - on the wishlist.

Nate

I'm getting it next week I have a question for someone who has it: Does TrackIR do anything in tanks etc? Can you 'turn out' like stick your head out the top like in Arma 2? Sorry if this is too much to ask:P

Can't wait to get it!

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5