Begining of the End for ASM? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-27-2018, 08:48 PM   #11
98abaile

Yeah, I've no interest in anything that's not full complexity. And I don't buy the early access reasoning some people have mentioned either, there are already enough "full fat" modules that seem to be stuck in dev hell.
98abaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:39 AM   #12
zhukov032186

It's almost as if full simulation is a gargantuan task with heavy financial risk The issues with the modules plus overtures like this, to me, imply they've realised they can't upkeep what they've got going while producing new at an acceptable rate to be viable as a business strategy. In other words, this allows them to continue producing new products (thereby sustaining income) while conserving manpower and resources for pre-existing or particularly popular modules.

Just conjecture of course, but I can definitely see DCS inherent complexity and unavoidably long dev cycles becoming unwieldy fairly easily
I do solemnly swear to strafe every pilot I shoot down, destructible or not, circumstances permitting, because reasonz. Opponents are advised to assume the position upon landing, or preferably, while still in the air.

Last edited by zhukov032186; 08-28-2018 at 06:41 AM.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:50 AM   #13
Alex Voicu

For me the whole point of flying DCS is to interact with all the systems of the aircraft, just like the real pilot. Otherwise i might as well choose to buy "the other sim". More late war aircraft coming up, larger maps, proper campaign, FM is not bad... I love DCS , but without the full-fidelity modules, what would be its advantages ?
Alex Voicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #14
ViFF

Quote:
Having system modeling at the level of generic allows to reduce development time adding a new plane to the set. If the plane is interesting for users, full grade systems will appear for sure.
Interestingly though, with MAC it is the other way around. The MiG-21bis , L-39ZA, F-5E are full ASM that will be converted to "generic".

S!

http://www.preflight.us
Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website
ViFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:40 PM   #15
zhukov032186

Easier to cut the branches out of the tree than it is to wait ten years for the tree to grow :p
I do solemnly swear to strafe every pilot I shoot down, destructible or not, circumstances permitting, because reasonz. Opponents are advised to assume the position upon landing, or preferably, while still in the air.
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #16
Snoopy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobek View Post
Well, who knows where this goes? I wouldn't pour the child out with the bathwater, I just wanted to state my position that I'm not willing for money to change hands if I don't have at least a strong commitment from the developer that a module will reach full fidelity.
Perfectly said!
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #17
lmp
ED Translator

One thing that infuriates me about the other sim is when I press E to get the plane running I see all the switches flip, valves open, pumps pump... I want to do all that stuff myself but I can't! I don't want any of that nonsense in DCS.
lmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #18
Svend_Dellepude

Another view is, that the problem doing what ED does (goes for 3rd party too), is getting the knowledge and documentation for continously developing of full fidelity aircrafts 10 or 20 years from now. There might be a limit to how much stuff you can get your hands on before you hit the wall or have to do heavy deals with the company that owns the IP rights. They might not even have an interest. On top of that you have a very long develop time. The consumers expectations of what makes a simulation, are different now than 20 years ago. Just look around this very forum.

With that said, I've had loads of fun in the F-15, but I look very much forward to a finished F-18, and even more to roaming the skies in a full fidelity F-16. I doubt I'm ever going back to FC level sims. But who knows.

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Last edited by Svend_Dellepude; 08-28-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Svend_Dellepude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:51 PM   #19
SVTONY

I know the ASM stuff is a big deal and I'm not trying to go off topic or diminish anyone's concerns, I'm just adding my two cents.

If you ask me the biggest thing hurting DCS is how many issues it has with performance and stability, not ASM stuff in my opinion.

When DCS 2.0 came out it ran so bad on my pretty decently equipped previous PC I had to take a break from it for a year and I didn't buy anything for it because I was so upset. Even though I've been back for about a year or so, I've struggled with a lot of issues with it. My specs are in my sig and I'm not using outdated equipment. In theory I should be running it fine, but I'm not.

It takes me 30 minutes typically to get into a multiplayer game when the game doesn't crash when loading in, which when it does, turns into an hour long affair just getting into the server. I have to actually plan out when I'm going to use DCS which sucks, because I like how I can use literally any other program whenever I want and not have to worry that it will take a considerable amount of time just to get in game.

The stutters and freezes when an aircraft gets hit with a weapon makes this almost unplayable sometimes as well. Kind of hard to have a dog fight when everything turns into a stutter fest.

It's kept me from spending money before, so maybe it's kept others as well? I know when it comes to World War 2 stuff I typically go to the "other sim" because it works pretty consistently and there's a lot more people online. I love full fidelity and I love the premise of DCS, I just wish DCS would run and perform as well as the "other sim" does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend_Dellepude View Post
is getting the knowledge and documentation for continously developing of full fidelity aircrafts 10 or 20 years from now.
That's why I've been saying they should do heavy aircraft as well like transports and tankers. I would buy a tank like the Abrams or T-80 also, if they did something like that.

Intel Core i7-6800K/16GB RAM/GeForce 1080/Windows 10/2TB HDD/1TB SSD

Last edited by SVTONY; 08-29-2018 at 10:18 PM.
SVTONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #20
SVTONY

It really wasn't my intention to kill this thread.

Regarding the ASM, I do wonder what the issue is all of a sudden.

Intel Core i7-6800K/16GB RAM/GeForce 1080/Windows 10/2TB HDD/1TB SSD
SVTONY is offline   Reply With Quote