Cold War 1947 - 1991 - Page 27 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #261
Alpenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishWaffle View Post
I never suggested you should remove them. I just asked if you would

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Whether you suggest removing them or asking if I would remove them, there isn't much of a difference in the expression
Anyway, you'd like them back you say? All missions? Some?
I don't have the Viggen, but I looked up a video of some guy using these missiles and they seem pretty much powerful. I mean, the CBU's have always been disabled (other servers do that too), and if the BK90 missiles are just as good, then maybe I should keep them disabled?
What is the fire range of those anyway? How many missiles can you carry?
Give me some information, please.
Alpenwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #262
SwedishWaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpenwolf View Post
Whether you suggest removing them or asking if I would remove them, there isn't much of a difference in the expression
Anyway, you'd like them back you say? All missions? Some?
I don't have the Viggen, but I looked up a video of some guy using these missiles and they seem pretty much powerful. I mean, the CBU's have always been disabled (other servers do that too), and if the BK90 missiles are just as good, then maybe I should keep them disabled?
What is the fire range of those anyway? How many missiles can you carry?
Give me some information, please.
They have about a 7km range and you can carry 4. That said, you need a waypoint directly on the target which means you can remove some of our waypoints so we need to to reconnaissance missions in order to get the coordinates to plug in the location of our targets.

They were made to allow engagement of targets too well defended by aaa for a regular bomb or rocket attack so I see the biggest problem being people targeting enemy airfields but that can be prevented with more SAMs.

I'm not saying we should have them on every mission, just on the big ones like open range.

SwedishWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #263
SwedishWaffle

And I've heard AAA can shoot BK90s down

Old 09-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #264
Alpenwolf

Quote:
And I've heard AAA can shoot BK90s down

Can you confirm that?

Quite busy these 2 days. When I have time I'll put the missiles back in Open Range.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #265
SwedishWaffle

Quote:
Can you confirm that?

Quite busy these 2 days. When I have time I'll put the missiles back in Open Range.
According to a guy at HB they'll do it but I'll check tonight

Old 09-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #266
philstyle

Quote:
They have about a 7km range and you can carry 4. That said, you need a waypoint directly on the target which means you can remove some of our waypoints so we need to to reconnaissance missions in order to get the coordinates to plug in the location of our targets.
They were made to allow engagement of targets too well defended by aaa for a regular bomb or rocket attack so I see the biggest problem being people targeting enemy airfields but that can be prevented with more SAMs.
I'd like to see the BK90. Cold War server is the only server that really makes sense for flying the Viggen, IMO. It'd be a shame to not have one of its iconic weapons deployable at all.

I've done some tests and the BK90 does not leave craters on runways as far as I can tell, so it can't really take out an airfield. There's litte risk of it being used to that effect I think.
Its blast area is wide-ish, but simple scattering units over more than 500m removes the chance of the weapon destroying too many units at once.
Furthermore, the weapon still requires the pilot to get in within 7km of the target, so it's a rather close-in stand off weapon, in many senses. It's really only good for avoiding AA guns, and does not protect from SAMs given their range.
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #267
SwedishWaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstyle View Post
I've done some tests and the BK90 does not leave craters on runways as far as I can tell, so it can't really take out an airfield.
I was thinking you could target the ramp areas

Old 09-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #268
SwedishWaffle

Quote:
Can you confirm that?

you can see it happening here https://youtu.be/LkIWAyQn364?t=51

granted they were flying at pretty high altitude but if people don't know how to configure them for low altitude flight then this could still happen
Old 09-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #269
Alpenwolf

As shown in the video, it is a powerful missile. I mean, 1 missile can destroy pretty much everything on a FARP. In most missions ground units are not that afar from each other. That's why the CBU's have always been prohibited here.
Basically, 1 Viggen with 4 missiles can take out the factory buildings in the mission Open Range, destroy the FARP and the water station in a single fast sweep. That's kinda rendering other strikers flying around pointlessly.
Hard decision to make here, guys.

Last edited by Alpenwolf; 09-13-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #270
SwedishWaffle

Quote:
As shawn in the video, it is a powerful missile. I mean, 1 missile can destroy pretty much everything on a FARP. In most missions ground units are not that afar from each other. That's why the CBU's have always been prohibited here.
Basically, 1 Viggen with 4 missiles can take out the factory buildings in the mission Open Range, destroy the FARP and the water station in a single fast sweep. That's kinda rendering other strikers flying around pointlessly.
Hard decision to make here, guys.
However, the targets here were parked aircraft. The BK90 has 2 types of submunition, one for taking out infantry and light vehicles using shrapnel, and another for taking out light armour such as APCs using a shaped charge. BTRs and BMPs need multiple hits to go down.