F-14's over Vietnam

frixon28

Which of these are we getting, again? I know the B is coming out first, but I could have sworn I remember someone saying Heatblur intends to do TCS and IRST, which appears to have only been on the D model.

Going by the diagram, we're getting F-14A (late) and F-14B. Which is fine by me!

We will only be getting the TCS as far as I know. The only way we’d get the IRST is if we got the D model as you say.

Gotcha, I'm probably thinking of LANTIRN. Which is no worries at all since the F-14's IRST was apparently not worth it at all, and that's why they replaced it with the TCS for the B model.

Gotcha, I'm probably thinking of LANTIRN. Which is no worries at all since the F-14's IRST was apparently not worth it at all, and that's why they replaced it with the TCS for the B model.

The IRST in the D model was very useful apparently. It was the “IR Seeker” in the early A models which sucked apparently. The two units aren’t related.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

The IRST in the D model was very useful apparently. It was the “IR Seeker” in the early A models which sucked apparently. The two units aren’t related.

Hmm, so you mean it couldn't track the targets, hence why it wasn't an IRST system? You might be right as it seems to be described as an IR-detection set, not an IRST.

It was called AN/ALR-23, but I'm not sure of the exact capabilities, just that apparently it wasn't very reliable as there were lots of false targets detected.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!