F-14's over Vietnam

frixon28

Not sure whether to this post in this section or in the Military Aviation section, but figured I would put it here to bring up some interesting points.

From the F-14 website (seriously everyone here needs to spend a few hours on this site)

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-history-combat.htm

"The F-14 came to late for the Vietnam war and only one deployment about USS Enterprise (CVAN-65) with CVW-14 was made from 17 September 1974 to 20 May 1975. Even though VF-1 and VF-2 Tomcats flew combat air patrols over South Vietnam as part of Operation Frequent Wind, F-14s didn't score any MiG kill. The following squadrons belonged to Carrier Air Wing 14:

VF-1 F-14A VF-2 F-14A

VA-27 A-7E VA-97 A-7E

VA-196 A-6A, KA-6D VAQ-137 EA-6B

HS-2 SH-3D VAW-113 E-2B

RVAH-12 RA-5C VQ-l Det 65 EA-3B"

VF-1 "Wolfpack" & VF-2 "Bounty Hunters" were the first operational F-14 Squadrons, receiving their first Tomcats in July of 1973. They did not engage any enemy aircraft.

The way I understand it is that we will be getting 1980's version (still confused if were getting the F-14A or B first :helpsmilie:) of either aircraft, so obviously the Tomcat we will get will internally will not have much in common with these first Tomcats. However with this module I am very much looking forward (hopefully)to using older models of weapons, such as the AIM-7E series and rear aspect sidewinders. I also thought it would be interesting to post about the CAW, and how hopefully we'll get some AI modules to support playable aircraft. Stuff like this is a huge boost to realism IMO.

*Pictures below are from the 1970s, but not Vietnam themselves, tried to find era schemes

VF-1

800px-F-14A_Tomcats_of_VF-1_in_flight_in_1970s.jpg

VF-2 1975

F-14A_VF-2_USS_Enterprise_%28CVAN-65%29_1975.jpg

Very good.

The first photo is one of my favourite F-14 Squadrons ; the VF-1 "Wolfpack"... established in 1972, at NAS Miramar.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Very good.

The first photo is one of my favourite F-14 Squadrons ; the VF-1 "Wolfpack"... established in 1972, at NAS Miramar.

Never looked up which squadron(s) were there. I was in San Diego as a kid and remember F-14s flying over my house all the time. I loved it when they would be low and fast enough to feel the vibrations in the air rather than just hear them.

Given that they were operating solely out of Miramar from '92-'93, I was definitely watching them a lot. I, too, have found a favorite squadron. Thanks!

The have developing the A version first

Thank you and forgive me for my confusion. Interesting choice that they are releasing the B first considering the long history of the A model. Was it faster to model the GE engines than the PW engines that made them choose to release the B first? Who knows.

Never looked up which squadron(s) were there. I was in San Diego as a kid and remember F-14s flying over my house all the time. I loved it when they would be low and fast enough to feel the vibrations in the air rather than just hear them.

Given that they were operating solely out of Miramar from '92-'93, I was definitely watching them a lot. I, too, have found a favorite squadron. Thanks!

Well, consider yourself lucky then.

As a kid in the 80's, here in Portugal (Western Europe), all we kids / military aircraft enthusiasts had related to the F-14, was "TOPGUN".

(Ok, for those who liked the F-16, there was also "Iron Eagle" at the blockbuster... and that was a luxury :lol: )

In the 90's, eventually a few lucky ones would find some F-14 related PC sim in the stores, to dream along in the summer holydays. And that was it.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Thank you and forgive me for my confusion. Interesting choice that they are releasing the B first considering the long history of the A model. Was it faster to model the GE engines than the PW engines that made them choose to release the B first? Who knows.

The B model engines are easier to code because its a robust engine. The A model engine had many performance quirks that will require more attention to recreate faithfully. They were prone to flame-outs and compressor stalls when outside of their envelope and the temperamental nature of the original engines is probably more challenging to code accurately.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

The have developing the A version first

Nope. The B version is coming first.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

• 9 months later...
I just realized those Tomcat's don't have TCS under their noses, huh neat.

The TCS wasn't fully implemented until the early-1980s. Until then, I believe the F-14 had the AN/ALQ-100 ECM system in that spot under the nose. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

There's a tabletop wargame out called Downtown! that is a tactical level representation of the Vietnam air war. One of the add-on hypothetical scenarios is Linebacker III, which takes place in 1974 and includes the Tomcat. Once we get a Vietnam theater, this would make an excellent mission or campaign.

3lhil9neowo01.jpg

Just found this awesome picture of an F-14A over Vietnam. Only one I have seen.

Awesome shot! Thanks for sharing!! :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just found this awesome picture of an F-14A over Vietnam. Only one I have seen.

Photo is taken over the Philippines. This and a few more were shared by one of the Pilots involved in the 1975 deployment and subsequent ops over Vietnam.

Several of the F-14 were equipped with the IRST sensor.

Photo is taken over the Philippines. This and a few more were shared by one of the Pilots involved in the 1975 deployment and subsequent ops over Vietnam.

Several of the F-14 were equipped with the IRST sensor.

So that's what was underneath of the Tomcat's nose prior to TCS?

Once the TCS was installed, where'd the IRST sensor go?

Once the TCS was installed, where'd the IRST sensor go?

Garbage, I guess. Where it belonged to in the first place apparently.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• 2 weeks later...

We will only be getting the TCS as far as I know. The only way we’d get the IRST is if we got the D model as you say.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.