Touch controller and joystick in one hand?

farmertom

Starting to get settled in using my new Rift..BUT :joystick:

I like you can throw switches, etc with the touch controller but how do you manage the controllers,the throttle and the joystick. I take them off and put them on. Sometimes I manage to drop them...what a PIA..:huh:. I am just wondering how others are managing all of these input devices?

I dont use it to be honest, its a nice feature for copilots to have and use in shared cockpits but its not practical for a pilot to take their hands off the stick to pick up another controller just to click a button.

If you can get used to it then using the VR to look at the buttons using the fixed cursor gets pretty close to being functional but comes with its own set if issues.

You can buy small usb touchpads that can be mounted somewhere close to your hands that proberbly do a better job tham a mouse. Ifind sometimes in a panic a bash the mouse and then blindly have to search for it.

Guess until we get hand tracking or tactile gloves for VR then there will always be compromises.

I tried hand controllers for about 30 minutes, no go. I use a small wireless mouse for clicking the switches etc. I have room on the throttle side and joystick side for it. Sensitivity can be adjusted in Windows for movement. Having it just behind the throttle works great as it keeps my other hand on the stick, I don't constantly keep my hand on the throttle anyway. I move it to the right side with my stick sometimes to see the difference.

Since they are cheap I'm thinking about getting another one so I'll have one for both sides, It'll be like using whichever hand is more convenient. Just because the VR headsets come with hand controllers don't force yourself to try to use them in a flight sim and don't forget your lowly mouse which may not be as glamorous but works with a little training time.

System: Asrock Extreme 4 MB l i7 7700K OC 5.0GHZ l EVGA GTX 1080ti l 32 GB Crucial DDR4 l Rift S l CH Fighter Stick l CH Pro throttle l CH Rudder Pedals l Modded Suncom SFS Throttle and Talon Stick l Toshiba 1TB HD l Crucial 1TB SSD