Good starter missions

Puma

Hey guys. Hoping to get some advice on good starter missions. I've finished my pit. Read the manual like three times. Happy enough with basic flight operations, and am ready to test my skills. I want some simple missions that will allow me to refine my flight ops, but add a little purpose to my flights cause flying in circles is getting old!

Campaign?? Stock missions? What about those training. Missions from red flag?

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

Hey guys. Hoping to get some advice on good starter missions. I've finished my pit. Read the manual like three times. Happy enough with basic flight operations, and am ready to test my skills. I want some simple missions that will allow me to refine my flight ops, but add a little purpose to my flights cause flying in circles is getting old!

I reckon the campaign is the way to go, the standard campaign is a bit tedious but it does train your muscle memory and its pretty easy. After while you dont even have to think about things, you can concentrate on situational awareness then and other stuff.

Join a squad. Seriously, join a squard. There is nothing that beats proper training of TTPs and flying in general than an experienced instructor.

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

The instant action missions are a good start to get the basics down such as navigation, weapon selection etc. Then I'd move onto the missions that are provided. Some elements of the CSAR mission as provided are kinda broke...but the mission itself works and is a good test to see where you're at as far as managing the weapon system to accomplish tasks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I'm impressed you've read the manual 3 times. I've had the sim since late 2012 and have yet to read it once all the way through. I started with the tutorials and read some parts of the manual. Set up my own practice missions. Did the instant action missions. Did the single missions. Playing the aforementioned "Enemy" campaign right now. I'll eventually get to the stock campaign. May join a squad sometime down the road.

Are there any resources for those that are looking to expand their flying skills? I've gotten the hang of cold starts, takeoff, navigation, basic weapons employment and landing. I could use help on radio use, roll in/out attacks, AAR, advanced CDU usage, etc. Are there squads willing to take noobs like myself under their wing(s)?

Hey Puma,

The stock campaign is not that hard, but can be confusong with large number of different flights and tasks and no additional info along the way. As an author of "Enemy Within" I would recommend it of course, but it does get quite difficult at times. If I were you, I would start with OP Save Badger, this is a 4-mission mini-campaign which has a good feeling and is not too difficuly.

Plus, what JayPee said - you will learn things in MP much faster than alone.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I'm impressed you've read the manual 3 times. I've had the sim since late 2012 and have yet to read it once all the way through. I started with the tutorials and read some parts of the manual. Set up my own practice missions. Did the instant action missions. Did the single missions. Playing the aforementioned "Enemy" campaign right now. I'll eventually get to the stock campaign. May join a squad sometime down the road.

I had to familiarize myself with the systems because I was building a pit before I really know how the aircraft worked. Now it works on paper, and I realized how out of to practice I am!! I flew falcon AF a LOT with a squadron so some aspects will come back quickly... I hope!

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

How about starting with training missions? There are pretty good servers out there that run good training missions with different practice areas (all the way from easy to hard). I personally like practicing on those servers because there are other pilots on there practicing aswell, so if there are procedures that are unfamiliar to you people can probably help out. And you can practice a wide variety of weapon usage, from Guns all the way to JDAMs without having to switch between different missions.

DCS F-14 Tomcat Alley Discord Server:

Have you looked into Bunyaps training videos? among others on youtube. I love Excessiveheadspaces vids. especially the TGP video.

https://www.youtube.com/user/VJS161Fire

There is a sticky in the A10 category on the Forum also.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Have you looked into Bunyaps training videos? among others on youtube. I love Excessiveheadspaces vids. especially the TGP video.

https://www.youtube.com/user/VJS161Fire

There is a sticky in the A10 category on the Forum also.

Good recomendation. I watch one every night! I like recon Stewart's videos too. Not really training, but he's pretty verbal.

Good recomendation. I watch one every night! I like recon Stewart's videos too. Not really training, but he's pretty verbal.

Completely Agree. Anyone new to this title will find the videos more detailed than the Manual and the Training missions.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Give these missions a try. They have objectives, but they're training missions that guide you through familiarization and refinement of procedures while you blow stuff up. I have the procedures down but still fly them as I think they're fun:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1222074/

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1222073/

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Hello guys! I'm in the similar situation like Puma. I'm flying the Hog for a while but I haven't had enough time to get into all details seriously. Anyway, I missed this kind of advises, so I want to thank you!

I've started 'Operation Jackal' campaign but never finished because I was distracted with so many nice planes in DCS recently. Anyhow I'm coming back to the roots. So, here I am my dear Hog! I'm going to blow something up right now... after I remember start up procedure :)

Thank you again!

[B]*NOB* Lucky[/B] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Tko vrijedi leti, tko leti vrijedi, tko ne leti ne vrijedi

@ PUMA...

Have you tried JTAC Live Range (from the DCS > User Files > dSBv_JTAC_Live_Range.miz) by Speedbrake?

This is a great training mission for noobs after learning the basics of flying and various weapon systems. BUT you must read the manual (several times) to better understand radios, JTAK and basic CDU operation. Also check out several YouTubes regarding JTAK...then it all starts to makes sense.

I was like you said, needed to "add a little purpose to my flights"...and the COMMS part really helped there.

I have a lot more confidence now after going through this several times. Now I'll try the other Speedbrake missions and more on towards the others mention above.

I tried LIVE FIRE from StrongHarm but it was way too 'busy' for me; over the top for me at my current level. I do look forward to it soon.

Stay safe...

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC