Samsung Odyssey review

*Rage*

Im sorry, but no GPU can handle pimax, and the track software is not that great from what i hear.

What PD do you run the SO at?

The tracking software for the Pimax 4k is not good which is why I didnt recommend it to a previous poster. But the 8K will be using steam VR tracking 2.0 which if 1.0 is anything to go by, will be great.

p.s.

SO 1440x1600 *2 = 4608000 pixels.

If you add 1.5 PD = 6912000 pixels

8K 1440x2560 *2 = 7372800 pixels

So yes. The 8K will be more demanding than a SO at native. But you start adding some PD into the SO, as many people here advocate, and you get very little difference in GPU load. Except the 8K is doing it at a natively higher resolution.

Once I receive the 8K ill post a review of that too. Dont worry, If I dont like it Ill slam it too:)

pps. CV2 aint gonna happen. Forget it. FB is leaving the 'gamer' VR and focusing on the more accessible social media type VR. Its sad for us but I understand if they want to focus on their core strengths and leave the gamer market (how many FB users have 1080tis?) to steam etc. :shrug:

Edited by ///Rage

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

As said, my GTX 970 Engine has a maximum Digital Resolution of 5120x3200.

PiMax 4K has a maximum Digital Resolution of 3840x2100 / 2*1920x2100, so with my current computer performance it wouldn’t make a big difference having a higher VR resolution.

So I just bought myself a used PiMax 4K on eBay for €190, which is for me a cheap VR Vernissage. In a couple of days I’ll give a feedback on it. But in advance I can say the SAMSUNG Odyssey advantage is that it has a 6DOF, while the PiMax 4K only 3DOF (x,y,z field of vision), it does not have the 3DOF body movement. So either you have to invest an extra for a 3DOF motion controller, or use a TackIR excluding out of it the 3DOF field of vision options like what I’ll be doing with mine.

...but no GPU can handle pimax 8K...
The PiMax 8K has 7680x2100 / 2*3840x2100

One GeForce GTX 1080 Ti has a maximum External Resolution of 7680x4320, so it will do the job if the PC high-end hardware offers the optimum functioning environment, like for e.g.:

X399 Motherboard, 16 cores x 4Ghz CPU, 2 x 1080Ti GPU and 128Gb RAM

Edited by Biba

BiBa...............BigBang

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

One GeForce GTX 1080 Ti has a maximum External Resolution of 7680x4320, so it will do the job if the PC high-end hardware offers the optimum functioning environment, like for e.g.:

Currently VR has no support for SLI.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

VR 1st gen will never be perfect visual quality wise. But forget the graphics, load up your Gazelle and go and blow up some targets!

The current Rift, Vive and Vive Pro are still in the 5th generation VR. The VR itself is decades old technology and idea, pushed time after time more and more, each time failing.

And the current sales for Oculus and Valve has been... Very unpromising. Why it is possible that VR in the current generation simply dies as there ain't AAA titles that would benefit from it.

And how would people go to do combat, if they can't even see them? That is the huge challenge!

You have example a 4x M113 on desert in high noon (default weather/mission) and you should be able to spot those from about 4-5km distance if you know where they generally are (like a specific road crossroad) and you come in direction other than directly at the sun, so you get some shadows from them.

But that is not possible. You simply lose the targets, not see them well enough. You will lose them behind your HUD elements like a crosshair or velocity vector as those create stronger contrast around them.

In ground combat flying you should first be able to spot the target visually before you can engage them. You can't do bombing, rocket runs, gun strafing if you can't see where your target is!

And that is something every military personnel is trying to do in every situation, conceal themselves from the surroundings so you can't spot them on ground.

In partially that is still realistic in VR, as a fighter pilot shouldn't spot a ground vehicle next to forest trees from closer than 500-700m. That is extremely short range really. A moving vehicle they can spot although already from 3-5km distance. A concealed vehicle (nets, branches etc that typically are set on vehicle) is such that you will hit your head to it in forest when you are searching it... From air it is impossible to be spotted unless pilot spots the tracks (and those some can easily spot from 1-2km in optimal distance and depending terrain).

I would never go back to 2D for the sake of resolution. VR actually puts you in the cockpit whereas 2D you will always be only an observer looking at and manipulating an AC on a screen. At the end of the day I fly VR because I want to simulate the sensation of flying, which is only possible in VR.

Experience of flying the VR is great. But it is not the HMD itself, you really need the touch controllers to get the experience. The experience to point hand a switch or button and press it is far superior than any mouse or HMD+buttons operation.

But when VR current problem is the resolution so that majority of people has trouble to read even main instruments, instead just recalling from memory the correct positions etc, it is not good at all. A acceptable and good HMD resolution would be such that you can take a inexperienced person and seat to cockpit that they have never seen. And then read them through the starting procedure without them requiring to lean forward to read any label or any number.

When you can do that, then resolution is acceptable for flying with aircraft.

I would like to see the Pimax 8K X tested for DCS, not for some driving or other foolish VR games. As its increased display resolutions should make a good difference and increased 220 degree FOV to really make the flying experience something realistic!

The sad thing is that currently flying and combat are totally different things. And flying and operating the aircraft systems are as well different thing.

It is amazing even with limited FOV and resolution to fly low or fly helicopter around. But it is nothing amazing to do the combat or even operate the MFCD or some simple knobs as you can't read what is written!

I was considering to get a Samsung Odyssey for myself as second set next to Rift, so when I am on the go, I can have just Odyssey without any cameras etc so it would be easy just to plug in and get tracking working without anything else.

But when you can't have a good touch controllers replacement (and capability to press something while looking other way) it is not so nice idea, and having even same resolution problems and more serious optimal view area, renders it like... "blah".

Still one of the best games out there is sadly the Oculus & EPIC game "Robo Recall" and couple other similar kind, yet the best flight simulator is the "VTOL VR" what has most the features already that any CAS/Fighter pilot would want, capability to shoot air targets with different missiles, ground targets with bombs and rockets, and even program and launch cruise missiles to ships etc. And there spotting and operations work great, because cockpits and elements were designed for it!

What ED and every module developer should do, is to redesign every aircraft cockpit for VR. Larger sharper fonts, remove the weathering textures, increase texture contrasts, make some switches and buttons sizes larger etc.

But why they would do that?

VR is on verge of doom, again. And we can only hope it gets to stay something niche and yet developed so in next 10-15 years we see something really push forward. Before that we need games that would be designed for the VR. As majority of people don't want to stand, jump and kneel all the time. Why Flight and Driving simulators are the main target audience, yet too small!

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

As said, my GTX 970 Engine has a maximum Digital Resolution of 5120x3200.

PiMax 4K has a maximum Digital Resolution of 3840x2100 / 2*1920x2100, so with my current computer performance it wouldn’t make a big difference having a higher VR resolution.

So I just bought myself a used PiMax 4K on eBay for €190, which is for me a cheap VR Vernissage. In a couple of days I’ll give a feedback on it. But in advance I can say the SAMSUNG Odyssey advantage is that it has a 6DOF, while the PiMax 4K only 3DOF (x,y,z field of vision), it does not have the 3DOF body movement. So either you have to invest an extra for a 3DOF motion controller, or use a TackIR excluding out of it the 3DOF field of vision options like what I’ll be doing with mine.

I think some of your number are a little off. Only the 8KX is full 4k (3840x2160) input and output per eye. Theres no release date for that yet and undoubtedly it will cripple a 2080ti. The 8K takes a 2560x1440 signal per eye and upscales it to 3840x2160 pixels per eye.

Furthermore the fact that a gfx card can display that many pixels is no indication that it can do it with reasonable fps.

Looking forward to your 4k review!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

VR is on verge of doom, again.

With all due respect, I don't know how anyone who has experienced VR can say that, but we're all absolutely entitled to our own respective opinions. Time will tell who is correct.

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

I can understand offline play with VR in it's current state, but how anyone survives vs non-VR players of even close to equal skill in PvP online servers....

It is serious handicap to fly in VR as you can't read the cockpit instruments to do the maneuvers and spot the target easily. Once you lose the target, it is difficult to reacquire even if you are <1km and looking somewhere nearby.

It is just frustrating when you can not see!

You feel like you have lost your vision compared what a display gives.

The VR still gives a far better maneuver controls as you know better which way you are, but it is very small benefit compared that you are many critical moments pulling G's and after blackout when you should find target front of you, it is not there and every second counts you live or you die.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Well I am sure having a blast flying in VR, and have been for over a year now.

No 2d games reside on my computer any longer.

I am a SP only guy though, so I am sure that helps...

Based on all the interest and companies getting into the VR arena, I can't see it being "doomed".

Lot of good stuff to come yet.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It is serious handicap to fly in VR as you can't read the cockpit instruments to do the maneuvers and spot the target easily. Once you lose the target

Totally disagree.

I can read all cockpit instruments without difficulty in all 13 modules I own but of course this is dependent on your system, the way you set it up and your mindset.

980ti OC my end, seat / camera adjusted so that the viewed cyclic / joystick 'appears' naturally where my real life cyclic / joystick / hand is. DCS often by default has the view set further back from the instruments

I can understand difficulty if PvP with opponents who may have large monitor(s) (sometime 5!) and use the zoom function in 2D to maximum advantage.

In rotary craft VR excells in most situations as it can do in other airframes in many scenarios.

Edited by Gizzy

SIGBLOCK.png

Gizzy makes an excellent point. Adjusting my “IPD” in DCS to where I just barely can see the top of my flighstick (approximately what I’d see IRL; my peripheral vision can barely see my hand when looking straight ahead) made a huge improvement in the readability of the instruments when using the Odyssey. That and setting my PD to 1.5

Edited by dmwierz

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

I've never even heard of the SO. I guess that means they aren't doing a very good job at marketing it. I assume that DCS and XP11 etc all support this thing? How is the desktop software now compared to the Rift's which has really gotten nice in the past year?

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

5 settings to consider adjusting to maximise VR clarity and display definition...... the first 3 will effect your frame rate

Under Options, System

• Texture Setting (for me, High)
  • Res of Cockpit Display (for me, 1024)

Under Options / VR

• Pixel Density (for me 1.6 or 1.8 map dependent)
  • Force IPD Distance (for me 50 but you can quickly experiment in game without restarts via options)

Under Controls for airframe

• Cockpit Camera Move Forward / Back (for me, move forward until when looking at the cyclic / joystick in VR I 'sense' it is where in RL my hand is)

Under your brain...

• regularly clean the device lens with the right cloth
  • if wearing glasses as I do, every day I use the Rift, clean your spectacle lens - it is a muck magnet, this I cant stress enough
  • if wearing glasses ensure they are correctly positioned...

SIGBLOCK.png

I have no issues spotting bogies. Odyssey, IPD @ 71 (matching my actual IPD), PD @ 1.3, MSAA@2. I set my viewpoint to match actual cockpit position via the snapview lua by matching my seat position to the seat position in the aircraft then adjusted my controls position to align as well.

I was flying a Huey online in the 104th server the other day. I was in a flight of 2 with a guy using TIR and a 1080p tv as his monitor. When he spotted a bogie he would call it out and I could see it. It's not as clear as the 50" 4k tv that I was using but VR blows it out of the water in so many other respects that there is no contest IMO.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I've never even heard of the SO. I guess that means they aren't doing a very good job at marketing it. I assume that DCS and XP11 etc all support this thing? How is the desktop software now compared to the Rift's which has really gotten nice in the past year?

The Samsung Odyssey is a Windows Mixed Reality HMD. Also offering WMR HMD's are Lenovo, Dell, HP, Acer and Asus. WMR HMD's are relatively new, having been introduced in late 2017.

If you're not in the US, though, you might have trouble getting one.

You can run Steam and Rift titles via SteamVR and Revive, and the WMR home is call the Cliff House.

Here are some intro videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmDObrN_DzA

It is serious handicap to fly in VR as you can't read the cockpit instruments to do the maneuvers and spot the target easily. Once you lose the target, it is difficult to reacquire even if you are <1km and looking somewhere nearby.

It is just frustrating when you can not see!

You feel like you have lost your vision compared what a display gives.

The VR still gives a far better maneuver controls as you know better which way you are, but it is very small benefit compared that you are many critical moments pulling G's and after blackout when you should find target front of you, it is not there and every second counts you live or you die.

I seem to do just fine in MP, despite the "VR handicap", and know of a few other guys that do just fine online as well :music_whistling:

I can also read pretty much anything in the cockpit as well, only some things need a super quick zoom in to validate (used to need to do the same on a monitor as well though).

I have no issues spotting bogies. Odyssey, IPD @ 71 (matching my actual IPD), PD @ 1.3, MSAA@2. I set my viewpoint to match actual cockpit position via the snapview lua by matching my seat position to the seat position in the aircraft then adjusted my controls position to align as well.

I was flying a Huey online in the 104th server the other day. I was in a flight of 2 with a guy using TIR and a 1080p tv as his monitor. When he spotted a bogie he would call it out and I could see it. It's not as clear as the 50" 4k tv that I was using but VR blows it out of the water in so many other respects that there is no contest IMO.

Just a heads up that your IPD in-game shouldn't match your IRL IPD from your eye doctor...two totally different things.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I seem to do just fine in MP, despite the "VR handicap", and know of a few other guys that do just fine online as well :music_whistling:

I can also read pretty much anything in the cockpit as well, only some things need a super quick zoom in to validate (used to need to do the same on a monitor as well though).

Yes I can pretty much read in the cockpit as well with no problem.

Don B

...The 8K takes a 2560x1440 signal per eye and upscales it to 3840x2160 pixels per eye...
I'm really curious out of which sources you're getting hold of your technical information, because you need to disassemble and check the hardware to squeeze that info out. If the display is only capable of taking in 2560x1440 as asserted, than it cannot even be defined as a 4K display. Only the input capacity is what counts! No matter what technology is used in upscaling the input is in my opinion, treachery. :music_whistling:

What is always a mystery to me is how manufacturers always manage to legally present their merchandise on the market labeled with such specifications without being even thriftily penalized. :doh:

Edited by Biba

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

The display still has 3840x2160 pixels (per display or eye). It just takes a 1440p input. Similar to buying a 4K monitor but only running DCS at 2560x1600 in full screen. When you press your eyeball to the monitor the individual pixels are still the same size and there are still just as many. Its just more of them are used to represent the source 'pixels'. Consequently SDE is eliminated even with a lower input.

If you want a 4k signal displayed over a 4k display you want the 8KX. 8KX backers will be 'loaned' an 8K till the 8KX is available. Im under no illusion of the graphical penalty of the 8KX.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lol I can find and track tgts with VR better than my 55 inch 4k tv. Again this all depends on the quality of your eyes and proper settings of hmd .

So those who say otherwise WELL again eye ball dependent.

Pancake vision is a handicap when it comes to all things of actual flight. And it's baloney to think that 4k 2d flyers are not using the god zoom all the time to I'd tgts. Weather ground or air. Go watch all the YouTube streams and half the time they are flying with ultra zoom on the hud.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

...If you want a 4k signal displayed over a 4k display you want the 8KX...
...so I guess we'll have to wait... When the time comes - call the ball :pilotfly:

Just a heads up that your IPD in-game shouldn't match your IRL IPD from your eye doctor...two totally different things.

I’ve heard that but I built all the A-10 panels actual size for my flight simulator before I went VR. An IPD of 71 makes everything true to size. I spent some time with a clear ruler doing virtual measuring against my real panels. It’s spot on.

You should try it. Print out a true to size panel and set it in front of you at the correct distance. Match your virtual panel to it’s size using IPD adjustments. Of course make sure that your real seat matches the location of your virtual seat first. I’d be interested in what you come up with.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

...An IPD of 71 makes everything true to size...
As I'm about receiving my first VR in the next few days, and as a Fan(atic) of true authentic simulation environment, I was wondering about what would be the IPD setting for a realistic cockpit, and here you are... Thanks a lot...

But does the 71 IPD setting goes for all other cockpits? If not I'll be needing at least a dozen of settings for the rest. Would be nice if someone pins a TTS (True To Size) IPD list for all winged ED-AIs !

As I'm about receiving my first VR in the next few days, and as a Fan(atic) of true authentic simulation environment, I was wondering about what would be the IPD setting for a realistic cockpit, and here you are... Thanks a lot...

But does the 71 IPD setting goes for all other cockpits? If not I'll be needing at least a dozen of settings for the rest. Would be nice if someone pins a TTS (True To Size) IPD list for all winged ED-AIs !

Do realize 71 only works for him, his eyes, and his hmd ipd setting. Even if your real world ipd is 71 you will more than likely not be the same as him in game.

My ipd is 61 and in order to get a proper sized vr pit im at 50 or 45 depending on the aircraft

For me if i have dcs set to 71, the aircraft is litterally super tiny and no way is it realistic for me, and thats because of much different real life ipd and HMD ipd setting.

Edited by Sniper175

Do realize 71 only works for him, his eyes, and his hmd ipd setting. Even if your real world ipd is 71 you will more than likely not be the same as him in game.

My ipd is 61 and in order to get a proper sized vr pit im at 50 or 45 depending on the aircraft

For me if i have dcs set to 71, the aircraft is litterally super tiny and no way is it realistic for me, and thats because of much different real life ipd and HMD ipd setting.

Out of curiosity, does you physical seat match the location of the in-game virtual seat? I kept raising and lowering the HMD to make sure the seat location (bottom and back) was correct before I adjusted IPD.

Oh, are you using the Odyssey?

One other thing that might be relevant. I modified the face mask of my Odyssey. Now the lenses are much closer to my eyes so the FOV is larger which would effect my IPD setting.

rgr, i have correct seat position and also the cougar mfd's in proper spot too. Its the same for me weather im using the rift or the odyssey. But ill experiment more later tonight and see.