Real life A-10C mic switch operation

JayPee

I couldn't find this in the ED manual nor in the many tutorials for in-sim radio operation.

When the pilot switches the mic switch to one of the 3 radios, what happens then? Is it PTT in that the pilot has to hold it in order to transmit and will it pop back to neutral if he releases his thumb? Or is it an actual switch which remains in position and as long as it's there the pilot will continuously transmit everything he says?

Just wondering..

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

It's a momentary PTT switch that only causes the radio to transmit as long as it is held.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

So is mic switch UP used for anything in RL? Thanks

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

So is mic switch UP used for anything in RL? Thanks

Since it is not used by in-game DCS A-10C and real one, if you have a free hat on your controller to dedicate it as mic switch PTT for different communication channels, I recommend doing so.

Here I have some ideas for you, you may clone A-10C mic switch PTT functionality beside its in-game menus and make it corresponding to in-game menus in terms of voice actions you are taking.

My example:

I use Mic Switch UP held command as PTT in TeamSpeak3 to active channel. -- default communication way on active channels of TS3 throughout all servers

FWD held acts as TS3 whisper to ATC/GCI channel on Teamspeak3 depend on server. Still ingame it brings up the VHF AM menu to use with AI Allied flights, ATC, Ground etc... Additionally FWD is tied to VHF AM radio plugin TARS (TS3) as PTT for TARS enabled flights.

AFT held acts as TS3 whisper to GUARD/ALLIED(all flight & ground channels) on TeamSpeak3. Still brings up the VHF FM menu to use JTAC, ground... Additionally AFT is tied to VHF FM radio plugin TARS (TS3) as PTT for TARS enabled flights.

DWN held acts as TS3 whisper to assigned flight channel (set before mission) and is tied to VHF UHF radio plugin TARS (TS3) as PTT for TARS enabled flights...

Notice in almighty Thurstmaster Warthog throttle you can also PRESS the mic switch hat like a button and hold and this function I exploit too, it is bound via AutoHotKey script as PTT button simulated as F14 keyboard key which is captured by VAC profile to activate voice recognition as long mic switch hat is depressed, giving me absolute control over AI menus.

Maybe that is not what you are looking for, but it surely helps if you wanna have ergonomic and immerse and real communication and full-time use of your mic switch hat :joystick:

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Cheers, shaman, I use vac already, well not used it in a while cos it's quite infuriating as it doesn't understand me half the time and I don't have deep accent so sometimes it takes me 5 or so times for it to understand me. I've done the voice recognition software thing a few times without luck.

Also the mic up command in the throttle does something else on the joystick at the same time (can't remember what pac1 maybe) is that why you use auto hotkey?

As for TS3 I've only used it once but I've not played multiplayer for ages but do need it get back into it.

Thanks

Les

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Thanks Paul, that's interesting could that be used in game for some kind of CSAR mission used in conjunction with CA

Since it is not used by in-game DCS A-10C and real one, if you have a free hat on your controller to dedicate it as mic switch PTT for different communication channels, I recommend doing so.

Here I have some ideas for you, you may clone A-10C mic switch PTT functionality beside its in-game menus and make it corresponding to in-game menus in terms of voice actions you are taking.

My example:

I use Mic Switch UP held command as PTT in TeamSpeak3 to active channel. -- default communication way on active channels of TS3 throughout all servers

FWD held acts as TS3 whisper to ATC/GCI channel on Teamspeak3 depend on server. Still ingame it brings up the VHF AM menu to use with AI Allied flights, ATC, Ground etc... Additionally FWD is tied to VHF AM radio plugin TARS (TS3) as PTT for TARS enabled flights.

AFT held acts as TS3 whisper to GUARD/ALLIED(all flight & ground channels) on TeamSpeak3. Still brings up the VHF FM menu to use JTAC, ground... Additionally AFT is tied to VHF FM radio plugin TARS (TS3) as PTT for TARS enabled flights.

DWN held acts as TS3 whisper to assigned flight channel (set before mission) and is tied to VHF UHF radio plugin TARS (TS3) as PTT for TARS enabled flights...

Notice in almighty Thurstmaster Warthog throttle you can also PRESS the mic switch hat like a button and hold and this function I exploit too, it is bound via AutoHotKey script as PTT button simulated as F14 keyboard key which is captured by VAC profile to activate voice recognition as long mic switch hat is depressed, giving me absolute control over AI menus.

Maybe that is not what you are looking for, but it surely helps if you wanna have ergonomic and immerse and real communication and full-time use of your mic switch hat :joystick:

I have roughly the same in mind. That is why I asked about the R/L operation of the mic switch.

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

• 4 years later...