Tacan offset question

leapingrodent

Howdy folks,

So, I'm doing the training missions for the Mirage and up to the one where it's teaching offset with the tacan, but it seems like I always end up in the wrong place, or perhaps I have the wrong understanding of how it works...

So, like it tells me I follow these steps:

Set tacan to 44X and on T/R

Set Theta to the bearing of 180

Set Rho to 20NM

Set the HSI in Vad mode

I then turn the aircraft to steer towards the bearing that the thick needle on the HSI points to...

And this is where I am either doing something wrong or understanding incorrectly, because this seems to just take me directly to the tacan station, whereas in my understanding it should be directing me on a bearing of 180 FROM the station and 20NM miles away.

Can anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong?

Regards,

LR.

Howdy folks,

So, I'm doing the training missions for the Mirage and up to the one where it's teaching offset with the tacan, but it seems like I always end up in the wrong place, or perhaps I have the wrong understanding of how it works...

So, like it tells me I follow these steps:

Set tacan to 44X and on T/R

Set Theta to the bearing of 180

Set Rho to 20NM

Set the HSI in Vad mode

I then turn the aircraft to steer towards the bearing that the thick needle on the HSI points to...

And this is where I am either doing something wrong or understanding incorrectly, because this seems to just take me directly to the tacan station, whereas in my understanding it should be directing me on a bearing of 180 FROM the station and 20NM miles away.

Can anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong?

Regards,

LR.

I'm guessing you are in the campaign mission that takes you to Kutaisi. It sounds like you are doing it correctly. I'll redo the mission to check but last time I did it I think there was something not working right as well. I believe in the mission for some reason the thin line is actually on a direct 180 degree bearing and IIRC you are supposed to go to Kutaisi airbase first and then go south from there and meet up with the other mirage flight. Vad should take you direct to 20nm south of Kutaisi how you had it set up though. Pretty sure a mission trigger is over the airbase.

Hi man... No it's not the campaign, just the navigation training mission. I get the same results if I create a fast mission... I must be doing something wrong, but it's driving me mad trying to figure it out lol :joystick:

I just checked and it took me to the right place, but there was some other wonky stuff going on with the mirage. The thin needle was not working as intended. The thick needle took me directly to the distance and bearing though. Another weird thing was every time I centered my TrackIR it stuck my head so far between my knees I couldn't see the hud.

Are you on the beta or the stable branch?

I am on the stable branch. I don't understand it. I am understanding correctly that it should direct me 20NM to the south of the tacan station, right? But, nope, it just points in the direction of the station itself. I did a bit more testing, I seemingly got it to work correctly on the persian gulf map, but two other attempts did the same thing of just pointing me at the station. :huh:

I am on the stable branch. I don't understand it. I am understanding correctly that it should direct me 20NM to the south of the tacan station, right? But, nope, it just points in the direction of the station itself. I did a bit more testing, I seemingly got it to work correctly on the persian gulf map, but two other attempts did the same thing of just pointing me at the station. :huh:

I'm on the beta so I don't know if that was going to make a difference. You were careful you didn't accidentally switch to yankee instead of x-ray or accidentally put it in a/a or receive only?

I know it isn't quite acting right with the line that's supposed to be pointed to the station itself not pointing near the station but I had it take me 86 miles bearing 108 from Kutaisi and it took me straight there.

Are you hot starting? Ground starting? I wanna help you figure it out bro!

(OB version) Just threw down a Mirage in the editor. Set rho/theta to 20/180 (and tried the reverse order too) and when HSI VAD shows the normal offset, 20nm south of station.

Looks like the rho or theta is displayed digitally on the drum counter for the selected mode. In either case the theta value is represented by the TACAN needle while in either the rho or theta data entry modes.

Okay, I figured out the problem. As I initially suspected, it was due to Pilot error :music_whistling:

It turned out I had been using the wrong format for putting the numbers into Rho and Theta. :doh:

Anyways, it seems to be working just fine now. Thank you both for trying to help me though. :thumbup:

Okay, I figured out the problem. As I initially suspected, it was due to Pilot error :music_whistling:

It turned out I had been using the wrong format for putting the numbers into Rho and Theta. :doh:

Anyways, it seems to be working just fine now. Thank you both for trying to help me though. :thumbup:

hi, anyway you could do a quick video, or write down some quick steps on how to do this? or shine some light as of where in the manual/elsewhere I could read about it?

it would be of great help!!!

Thanks!

Hey guys. If you find the way in which training is constructed to be confusing please let me know how can I improve it. Thanks!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Hey guys. If you find the way in which training is constructed to be confusing please let me know how can I improve it. Thanks!

To be honest with you, it's fine as it is. It was simply a case of me not listening properly and not reading the manual even though it totally does suggest doing that... :doh:

It's a fun aircraft though, and I'm really enjoying the learning process, even if my own stupidity is holding me back at times haha. :thumbup:

@xXmustangXx See page 153 of the manual.

- Set the desired Tacan code, for example 44X and be sure to set it to T/R.

- Set the HSI to tacan mode and confirm that the thick needle points to the desired station

- Go into Theta mode and input your desired offset bearing from the station... This is the part where I screwed up, so be sure that the thick needle points to your desired bearing.

- Go to Rho mode and input the desired distance from the station... I screwed this up also as I didn't notice it should be in 4 digit decimal. So 001.0 would be 1NM and 020.0 Would be 20NM

- Finally, go into the VAD mode and follow the thick needle.

Edited by leapingrodent