2-stage Trigger

MBot

... is it still not possible to map the 2-stage radar trigger on an actual 2-stage trigger without modding the game?

huh? I have been able to put a 2-stage control (for example T0 and T1) on my 2-stage Trigger since the release of it without modding...

huh? I have been able to put a 2-stage control (for example T0 and T1) on my 2-stage Trigger since the release of it without modding...

Well, I can't. T0, T1 and TV are "switch to" commands. This means if I pull the trigger to stage 1, the game goes to T1. If I then let go of the trigger, the game does not go back to T0 but stays in T1.

What would be needed are T1 and TV which remain as long as you keep the button pressed and a return to T0 if you press nothing. Basically how Belsimtek implemented the two-stage trigger on the F-5E.

Some more things I noticed are off with the controls assignment:

The function Mode Selector clockwise and counter-clockwise cannot be assigned to controllers other than the keyboard. (Edit: There are in fact a lot of functions which cannot be assigned to controllers).

The function "High-pressure fuel valve (For HOTAS, Off if pressed)" does not actually turn on again if the button is no longer pressed.

Edited by MBot

Well, I can't. T0, T1 and TV are "switch to" commands. This means if I pull the trigger to stage 1, the game goes to T1. If I then let go of the trigger, the game does not go back to T0 but stays in T1.

What would be needed are T1 and TV which remain as long as you keep the button pressed and a return to T0 if you press nothing. Basically how Belsimtek implemented the two-stage trigger on the F-5E.

ah ok. Now I know what you mean and then yes, I do have it too like you.

Mbot,

Maybe editing LUA and adding function for button release.

Or using external keymapper (e.g.Joy2key, SVMapper) with function for OFF state of button.

That is not the point. Surely over half a year after release the Viggen should support a widely available trigger type without modding.

2-stage Trigger

Hi MBot! The toggle variant you are describing is different to the one that is on the Warthog throttle which was the intended use for the provided button binding (the speed brake, boat switch or china hat). Yours is neutral unpressed and the warthogs is neutral when in middle stage. I don’t want to clutter the user interface with all kind of different variants (there would be four different variants for each switch which would be confusing). If you really don’t mind changing three lines in Lua (I do know that you are a scripting wizard) then replace the relevant lines with these:

{down = 3005, cockpit_device_id = devices.NAVIGATIONPANEL, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = "T0 Fix (three position switch)", category = "Radar"},

{down = 3006, up = 3005, cockpit_device_id = devices.NAVIGATIONPANEL, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = "T1 Fix (Three position switch)", category = "Radar"},

{down = 3007, up = 3005, cockpit_device_id = devices.NAVIGATIONPANEL, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = "TV Fix (Three position switch)", category = "Radar"},

You only need to map T1 and TV (half press and full press respectively)

Edit:

After some thinking I realize we might get away with only adding one additional mapping option just for two-stage triggers as the half-press state will probably be activated when moving from fully pressed to fully released. It would look like this:

{down = 3006, up = 3005, cockpit_device_id = devices.NAVIGATIONPANEL, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = "T1 Fix (For two-stage trigger)", category = "Radar"},

If you’d like to try it and report back to me I’d add it to the official bindings.

Edited by RagnarDa

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Thank you RagnarDa, I will have a look at it when I get home. I think it would be great if mappings for 2-stage triggers could be added to the official bindings. The 2-stage gun trigger seems to me to be the most natural place to map the function, and such triggers are very widely used (Warthog, G940, VPC T-50, VBK and probably a lot more).

I did previously add my own bindings in LUA. The problem with this approach is that you have to repeat it after every update, which is very often (and becomes pretty annoying). I expected this to be a workaround until the official bindings are completed, so now I am glad I spoke up and could raise some awareness about it.

Hi MBot! The toggle variant you are describing is different to the one that is on the Warthog throttle which was the intended use for the provided button binding (the speed brake, boat switch or china hat). Yours is neutral unpressed and the warthogs is neutral when in middle stage. I don’t want to clutter the user interface with all kind of different variants (there would be four different variants for each switch which would be confusing).

RagnarDa, I think stuff like that should be also included in the manual. So user does not need to hunt around for the information. Just a suggestion...

I don’t want to clutter the user interface with all kind of different variants (there would be four different variants for each switch which would be confusing).

Edit:

After some thinking I realize we might get away with only adding one additional mapping option just for two-stage triggers as the half-press state will probably be activated when moving from fully pressed to fully released. It would look like this:

{down = 3006, up = 3005, cockpit_device_id = devices.NAVIGATIONPANEL, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = "T1 Fix (For two-stage trigger)", category = "Radar"},

If you’d like to try it and report back to me I’d add it to the official bindings.

This would be great. Another thing to keep things sorted would be to assign it a different category (e.g. "HOTAS Discrete Switches") so people understand that it is designed for a 2 or 3 stage switch/trigger rather than a key command.

Take a look at Funkyfranky's switch mod (and my edits at the end of the thread) for some ideas.

I can confirm that this additional line makes a 2-stage trigger usable to control the fix trigger in game. For radar fixes, everything works as expected. A little caution about using the Maverick though. I tested the following:

-Fix trigger pulled to T1, Maverick is slewable. Ok.

-Fix trigger released, Maverick returns to bore. Ok.

-Fix trigger pulled to T1, slew Maverick, then pulled to TV for lock on attempt. Ok.

-Fix trigger released. Maverick does not return to bore and stays locked on (or remains pointed where it was in case TV did not result in a lock on). Not sure of this is intended behaviour for the Maverick or a problem with the joystick mapping.

-To unlock Maverick, fix trigger has to be pulled to T1 and released to T0 again. Maverick returns to bore. Ok.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

with the Saitek X52 Pro:

I can set the trigger:

(using Saitek profiling software)

1st stage (trigger pull less then 50%):

'T0'

========

2st stage (trigger pull more than 50%):

'TV'

====

This is where Saitek profiling software comes into play:

Saitek sets the HOTAS into 3 modes:

In mode 2, Trigger pull is set to:

'T1' return to bore mode

The modes are enabled by Turning knob on Stick to one of three modes.

=========

In the profiling software, you enter the key strokes for each position.

** note, you can elect to have hat switches or buttons to witch on and off keys. Instead of using trigger.

** With the Viggen I use the Pickle button for weapon release.

=======

Last note:

The changing on the modes T0, T1, and TV seem to not work smoothly as they should, but my Saitek is 10 years old, so I cannot say whether or not it is smooth and flawless.

:joystick:

======

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR

This would be really easy to add to the official bindings with just a single additional line, so that no external mod managers or profiling software is required.

I tried to use Mavericks with the radar trigger bound to the WH's boat-switch, but the handling is just awful. No Mavericks for me until the game's 2-stage radar trigger can be bound to a physical 2-stage trigger.

• 1 month later...

This will probably be in next update. Meanwhile just add this line to input/joystick/default.lua

{down = 3006, up = 3005, cockpit_device_id = devices.NAVIGATIONPANEL, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = "T1 Fix (Two-stage trigger middle position)", category = "Radar"},

and map it to the half-press stage on your trigger, and then the TV-fix for three position switches on the full-press.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

This will probably be in next update. Meanwhile just add this line to input/joystick/default.lua

{down = 3006, up = 3005, cockpit_device_id = devices.NAVIGATIONPANEL, value_down = 1.0, value_up = 1.0, name = "T1 Fix (Two-stage trigger middle position)", category = "Radar"},

and map it to the half-press stage on your trigger, and then the TV-fix for three position switches on the full-press.

Thank you very much for the answer. I have already moded the trigger in my radar stick so that it works the way speed brake on TM warthog does.