Caucasus Map Texture DLC by Starway

Caucasus Map Texture DLC by Starway  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Caucasus Map Texture DLC by Starway

• $10 at least !
    • $5 at least !
    • not sure.
    • no

I will certainly support any option which is decided by Starway.

The important thing is to correct the visibility of vehicles through the Shkval and TGP, and it would be good if he add more (red, blue) color to the rooftops of the village, I think both - houses and factories. (See pic. in attachment)

In addition, I think and others who make this visual improvement deserve to be rewarded for their hard work and time. Perhaps ED could consider adding a donation button in the Downloads/user files.

villages-1.jpg.f36b4e21f8aebe675a2570009173f4a8.jpg

villages-2.jpg.f573807ab59a3e6a59d150654f43c8c2.jpg

Edited by kobac

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Everything is possible ...

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. ED having purchased it from Starway outright and making it part of the Cacasus map seems to have been the most sensible approach: Starway would have gotten paid, and the Caucasus map would have gotten this much needed beautification, without us users having to worry about mods when updating DCS World.

While that may seem like the decent thing to do, you'd also create a precedent then. Does ED start paying other /all mod makers then to implement what they've done into the core game?

Who or what decides whether a mod will be eligible / good enough to qualify for this?

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

While that may seem like the decent thing to do, you'd also create a precedent then. Does ED start paying other /all mod makers then to implement what they've done into the core game?

Who or what decides whether a mod will be eligible / good enough to qualify for this?

There's no precedent. ED told Starway that his mod was going to be sold in their store as a sanctioned DLC, and made official announcements about the whole deal as well. They then backed out when DRM issues arised, leaving Starway with an year's worth of work for basically nothing.

If ED had said nothing, this would be a mod just like any other. But seen how Starway more or less worked on something on ED's behalf (at least as far as we know), they should still pay him. Especially considering the whole thing failed because of a shortcoming from their end, and not Starway's. This is how things work with freelancer contracts in my country anyways.

Edited by Gliptal
  • Like 1

There's no precedent. ED told Starway that his mod would have been sold in their store as a sanctioned DLC, and made official announcements about it as well.

"Would have been / should have been." That is currently not the case anymore as it was technically not feasible.

Spoiler

No worries, and I do agree with you.

Despite that though I think it's still sensitive for them (ED) to just do that.

I can understand very well that Starway (and ED probably) are disappointed about this not working out they way they wanted it to. Nevertheless Starway has invested a lot of time in creating this mod, and his financial reward for that should not be the catalyst of whether he releases it or not in my opinion.

Let's say for argument's sake that he doesn't get a single penny from the community. By not releasing it he will not get back his hours of work. On the contrary, he wouldn't even be able get praise for the tremendous job he's done. So that would be a darn shame for all parties involved.

On the other hand, if he dedicates himself to updates and bug fixes for the community for the time ahead, then by all means he should be compensated for it. Because at that stage he's providing a service to us.

Spoiler

Guess that's a question for ED since they decided to go with Starway's content. Maybe they asked him specifically to build that DLC because of his merit?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

If ED had said nothing, this would be a mod just like any other. But seen how Starway more or less worked on something on ED's behalf (at least as far as we know), they should still pay him. Especially considering the whole thing failed because of a shortcoming from their end, and not Starway's. This is how things work with freelancer contracts in my country anyways.

Well said. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Although I agree, at this point this should be filed as a lesson learned for all modder who enter, or may enter, an agreement with ED.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Although I agree, at this point this should be filed as a lesson learned for all modder who enter, or may enter, an agreement with ED.
Yep. If I were one and got offered a deal of sorts, I would really think twice after this.
  • Like 1

What agreement? There seems to be a lot of speculation here.

As far as I know, Starway had textures that he wanted to sell and ED stepped in to help him distribute it as an official DLC, but then had to back out as it turned out that the terrain texture files couldn't be protected separately from the rest of the terrain.

So, unless I'm missing something, where are these speculations how he was hired by ED to do that or that he was somehow tricked by ED coming from? And further still, extrapolating these speculations as a should-be-warning for future modders!? I'd suggest to take it down several notches because this is not helpful.

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• ED Team

Indeed, a lot of speculation.

I am not sure this thread is of any use, a lot of people are interested in the texture pack, some arent. This thread doesnt need to be trashing ED or ED's work with third parties which is being eluded to in a few posts.

3rd Parties and their agreements with ED are not open for public debate or discussion, and that is all this has turned into.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png