Caucasus Map Texture DLC by Starway  

207 members have voted

1. 1. Caucasus Map Texture DLC by Starway

• $10 at least !
    • $5 at least !
    • not sure.
    • no

Hmm, where should I start?

Well, first of, it's some amazing work you put together there. It just looks amazing, no doubt about that. :thumbup:

But having to pay for a texture upgrade for a map? I have no problem to pay money for a new map, but paying money for some new textures is something different.

Okay, this map is for free, but what about all the other (future) maps? Will we have to pay for texture updates there as well in the future, when the maps are older and not as fresh anymore? If I pay 50 bucks for a map I expect texture updates to be included in the price. Or what about cockpit textures? Do we have to pay for upgraded cockpit textures as well in the future (e.g. KA-50)? It's not like I don't value the work, but I expect that value to be included in the base price for a product (be it a map or an aircraft).

I know, I can't really complain here since I haven't paid anything for the caucasus map, but IMHO if something is offered for free, then it should be free completely (including new textures). I'm just afraid of where that will take us in the future.

I have no problem to pay for a a new product, but paying for upgrades/fixes is something else. I really don't like where this is taking us :(

Having said that I will buy it anyways, because **** me... :music_whistling:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team

As was stated in a recent news update and reiterated again earlier in this thread, we are providing a free Caucasus map update for DCS World 2.5 later this year.

Starway is a very talented artist that has done great work and we want to give him the ability to provide another option for this map.

As was stated in a recent news update and reiterated again earlier in this thread, we are providing a free Caucasus map update for DCS World 2.5 later this year.

Starway is a very talented artist that has done great work and we want to give him the ability to provide another option for this map.

Oh, sorry, I somehow didn't really get that. In this case disregard my previous comment. If it is just an alternative 3rd party upgrade to an official future upgrade, then it is alright. :thumbup:

In that case I will be more than happy to buy it, without having to be afraid about the future :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Caucasus Map Texture DLC by Starway

Oh man... It's not a update - it's a texture pack - and i think 15 $ is really fair.

It is not an absolute necessary thing, everyone is free to play the stock map or install a mod. But the option of a official supported texture dlc is a good move - especially for those who not lurking around in this forum every day.

This "we are a community, so we want your work for free " is not the best attitude in my eyes.

Edit : sniper by wags... Wow ;)

Will this fix the flying trees, groundtextures, streets and bridges?

Good textures, but 15$ only for the textures? if all components of the simulator were worth 15$, the simulator would cost hundreds of dollars.

I do not want to belittle the work of the author, it sure has made an arduous task, and has all the credit it deserves thumbup.gif, but sometimes video games or simulators charge you too much about certain thingsglare.gif.

In my case, I wait to come down a lot of money, because I do not need to fly DCS, it already has its textures, also in our community have to talk if we implement it or not, because it can not be that every pilot see different things, this difficult mission much.

Edited by Legolasindar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cavallers del Cel - Comunintat Catalana de Simulació http://www.cavallersdelcel.cat

Its more than 'a' texture, but thanks for marginalizing his work totally... look guys, you have a choice here. You can buy this if you appreciate his work or you can stick with the base textures or other mods.

ED continues to work on the this map, making many improvements pointed to be released with 2.5 (trust me, it will make some very nice improvements to the base map all free as always). They are not abandoning their own work on the map and forcing you to buy a DLC, this is just one of many options you have, like the campaigns or modules, not everything offered is for everyone. You don't like it, you don't have to buy it... but if you don't have anything constructive to add to this thread, then keep it to yourself.

Then i have only one question, is one of those many improvements free texture overhaul of the Caucasus map? I'm gonna guess no since although much less extensive, Starways textures were pulled from the base game earlier seemingly to faciliate the sale of this DLC. I hope that i am wrong and i will see actual improvements in 2.5.

Starway, by no means do i think your work is bad or not worth monetary compensation for you. I am just of the opinion that it should come from ED and not from the playerbase. A better base DCS World is a good investment to create new paying customers. The percieved pay wall for new players of DCS is starting to look less like a wall and more like a vertical cliff.

Edited by Skjold
  • Like 1

Starway beautifull work man ! Instabuy from me.

For those that have some doubt about this :

1 : You have your reasons and simply dont wanna buy its fine and its your choice to do so.

2 : ED is focused on many other projects that have priority and a fellow community member gets the chance to do something really nice for the sim. It gets ED approved and looks amazing. I dont see the problem here. I would rather pay for this huge approvement then ED stops working on the Hornet or whatever project needs to be paused to create this.

g8PjVMw.png

I'm particularly impressed by those trees. Amazing job.

Also, I couldn't find a specific answer to my doubt, so here it is: once Caucasus 2.5 is out, is this DLC going to be made compatible with it, or is it simply destined to work only with 1.5?

Edited by Picchio

I am not going to say it should be free, I don't think so. It is good that people who can add to sim can make some $ off that. It motivates further improvement, and gives the community a chance to give back to modders.

But I consider 15$ for a texture pack to be considerably beyond what I am willing to pay for such.

That said since this is optional, and since ED is not locking map textures to preclude use of other mods, or modding at all, I don't think there is anything to cry foul about.

So long as modding capability is not locked, and a practice of "$DLC$ everything" is not adopted, all is fine.

Still I would have wanted to support this effort, but sadly not at this price. But anyway, price is for vendors to decide in the end.

I cannot agree with you more :)

Modders should be able to earn money for their effort, but the value proposition for this texture pack is just ludicrous. I still need to work an hour and a half for it and get no gameplay benefit for it in return.

I like flying low and exploring the region, but 15 bucks for the same low fidelity map with generic buildings is just too much to rationalize for me.

I'd rather invest the money in taking my girl to the movies or a couple of rounds in a bar thank you very much

• ED Team
Like Yurgon pointed out, some of the other texture mods correct the FLIR issue, something to do with the noise on the map after the update?

I will wait to hear back from some people that try the map.

It has to do with the settings of a couple noise values. The higher the values, the less blurry the terrain looks in the FLIR image. However, this can make it more difficult to break out units. It's a balance. I think Starway has found a good balance, but it could be easily adjusted post release.

Nice work Starway!

DCS is a hobby for me, and we all know that we always spend crazy amounts of money in our hobbies that cant be justified with common sense, so if someone makes our hobby better and improves our experience its correct that we compensate him for it.

Personally 15$ to improve my visual experience throughout the game is worth it. If Starway gets compensation for his work, he might also be inclined to produce more and better stuff in the future, so we are actually investing for many future mods, if you want a proof, look ar Blatic Dragon, he is the perfect example of making the experience improve.:)

• Like 1

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Very nice work Starway but as Caucasus is part of the free base game it really should be free. I don't approve of a model where you (ED) sell a cosmetic update for the free map that is meant to bring new customers in.

Agree with this whole heartedly. Also realize not everybody can fork out money for mods and this will bring in a communication problem in a combat sim with people having different ground textures. I personally won't be buying it until it's confirmed it works with current flir and future flir that is coming.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

That's fair enough isn't it?

I don't see what the problem is for this team to be charging some $$ for this mod.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Also, I see the 'new' grass. Is that new grass model as well? Or just updated grass texture?

New 3D models, grass included, are not part of this DLC. But objects like trees and grass are mainly designed by a combination of the alpha channel and overlayed texture. Both of it has been updated for this product.

The video looks wonderful. How will this look from the ground level, from Combined Arms?

I will provide more footage about low level flying and on ground movement soon.

Will this affect other texture mods in any way when dcs 1.5 is merged into the new engine? I might buy this, but i will resist if it somehow forces its way as the single texture option in the future. I do not feel that would be right for all the other texturers who have also spent alot of time on their terrains, free for the community.

As long as these mods do not affect the zipped files, there should be no problems with compatibility.

very nice work as always and the price is the price, however I do have some questions :

as a paid mod will the airfields be redone ? as I would buy in an instant if they are..

Not right now, but an update is planned for it.

+1

The trees look the same as a 3D model so just the texture is different. The word "volumentric" can be misleading as the old ones are as volumetric as these new... right? Also... not colidable, that volumetric word can also mislead people hopes.

Thank you for calling attention to this. First post has been updated.

Will this fix the flying trees, groundtextures, streets and bridges?

This DLC has no effect on 3D-models, map-mesh and uv mapping. But ED is working on this issue.

System: Intel Core i5 3570K | GTX 980 OC | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | 500 GB SSD

As long as free modding options are left available with 2.5 and beyond, I see no problema with this. The only qualms I had were in the case a lockdown occurred, forcing everyone to stay with the old textures or buy a DLC. As I stands, this is not an issue.

The TGP though is a binary go or no-go for whomever flies the A-10C: I'd add some comparison screenshots to the OP.

• Like 1

This is one of the most childish communities ever. spending 1000s of $ for PC and Hardware and is raging about a cosmetic extra option für 15$...

Sorry guys, better start acting like a grown up or gtfo. dont't like it? Don't buy it!

Starway: nice work!

• Like 3

:pilotfly:

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pedals, Oculus Rift

:joystick:

As long as free modding options are left available with 2.5 and beyond, I see no problema with this. The only qualms I had were in the case a lockdown occurred, forcing everyone to stay with the old textures or buy a DLC. As I stands, this is not an issue.

The TGP though is a binary go or no-go for whomever flies the A-10C: I'd add some comparison screenshots to the OP.

This :thumbup:

• Like 1

Details of the 2.5 Caucasaus map update we be released later this year once they are finalized.

Please stay on topic though... The DLC product from Starway.

Wags, I thought merging 1.5 and 2.0 would mean redo completly the caucasus map from scratch.

Can you confirm that this dlc will still be usable on the merged version (2.5) ?

For me, the basic question of how we see vehicles with these Starways textures with naked eye, either through Shkval or TGP. And another question is later compatibility with DCSW v. 2.5? Praise for good work, Starway! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Everything is possible ...

This is one of the most childish communities ever. spending 1000s of $ for PC and Hardware and is raging about a cosmetic extra option für 15$...

Sorry guys, better start acting like a grwon up or gtfo. dont't like it? Don't buy it!

Starway: nice work!

Thanks

Currently i cannot aford using more than roughly 15-20$ a month on games/software. Dont get me wrong, it looks awesome, but just because you easily can afford spending it doesn't mean all people can. I probably could purchase everything, but there are more important things to save money for than spending all on games.

I think you should realize that for many of us its about our total budget for games, and not the thoustands we have in a bank for more reasonable things.

(don't get me wrong, i'll personally get it some time, just i will wait a bit i guess :) )

Edited by Farlander