207 members have voted

1. 1. Caucasus Map Texture DLC by Starway

• $10 at least !
    • $5 at least !
    • not sure.
    • no

• ED Team
15 bucks for a texture?

Its more than 'a' texture, but thanks for marginalizing his work totally... look guys, you have a choice here. You can buy this if you appreciate his work or you can stick with the base textures or other mods.

ED continues to work on the this map, making many improvements pointed to be released with 2.5 (trust me, it will make some very nice improvements to the base map all free as always). They are not abandoning their own work on the map and forcing you to buy a DLC, this is just one of many options you have, like the campaigns or modules, not everything offered is for everyone. You don't like it, you don't have to buy it... but if you don't have anything constructive to add to this thread, then keep it to yourself.

Edited by NineLine
  • Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The video and the comparison shots look amazing! :thumbup:

What about the TGP Starway? If the noise is at vanilla levels, this pack is a no buy for whoever flies the A-10C.

I second that question.

FLIR is a separate issue that ED is going to be taking care of.

Some of the amazing texture mods currently available address the issue, even if they just do it on a workaround basis. Pretty much anything beats vanilla in this regard. And with no timetable I'm aware of regarding new FLIR/TGP, I'd say it's pretty important to all Hog drivers whether the new DLC also addresses the issue, or whether we'll be left with 15 bucks worth of game-breaking beauty until the FLIR is reworked by ED.

Its more than 'a' texture, but thanks for marginalizing his work totally... look guys, you have a choice here. You can buy this if you appreciate his work or you can stick with the base textures or other mods.

ED continues to work on the this map, making many improvements pointed to be released with 2.5 (trust me, it will make some very nice improvements to the base map all free as always). They are not abandoning their own work on the map and forcing you to buy a DLC, this is just one of many options you have, like the campaigns or modules, not everything offered is for everyone. You don't like it, you don't have to buy it... but if you don't have anything constructive to add to this thread, then keep it to yourself.

This.

Absolutely this.

I really do not understand the expectation that this should be free.

It's an optional paid extension/expansion/upgrade of a perfectly working free base map. As simple as that.

Also, I should note that, at least here in the US, it is less than the cost of a movie plus parking. Or a fast food meal. Or a small pizza, not including delivery. So, if I just eat healthy at home one night and wait for the movie to come out on Netflix, I'll have saved twice the amount needed to reward Starway for this wonderful work, and get months/years of enjoyment rather than a couple of hours and a spiked cholesterol.

• Like 1

Looks nice, but the free map should stay free and instead of dividing the playerbase it would have reeled in new simmers.

ED should pay Starway for the job he did, not charge it as extra nuisance that keeps the new players away.

Also: what we needed was collidable trees and better 3D terrain mesh. I really hope this will not break multiplayer when some guy sees the target next to a road that the others do not have.

Looks nice, but the free map should stay free and instead of dividing the playerbase it would have reeled in new simmers.

The Caucasus map is staying free.

..not charge it as extra nuisance that keeps the new players away.

This is a baseless comment, if you think that this 'addon', totally optional DLC will keep new players away you are totally mistaken.

Also: what we needed was collidable trees and better 3D terrain mesh. I really hope this will not break multiplayer when some guy sees the target next to a road that the others do not have.

This is being worked on for the integration of the Caucasus map to the latest engine for DCS World 2.5 - It will be free.

Edited by |DUSTY|

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

Dusty is completely right.

If you want to change how the Caucasus looks and feels - buy it. One-time payment of 15 USD for such a huge amount of work is a bargain IMHO. If you don't want to - you don't have to, which means that Caucasus remains free.

Also, as Sith has pointed out, ED is working hard on Caucasus, despite also preparing other new maps and tonnes of other things. They could have easily left it as it is, but instead we will be getting additional improvements, which in turn will keep people interested in this theatre.

Now from my personal point of view as a campaign / mission builder this is great news, as Black Sea is an excellent map with many options for interesting and realistic things to do - something which, despite its awesomeness, Nevada just can't provide. So many thanks to Starway for his hard work.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I'll possibly buy it once 2.5 is out, but I wonder where the line will be drawn in the end.

DLC Trees, DLC Rivets, ...?

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

I'll possibly buy it once 2.5 is out, but I wonder where the line will be drawn in the end.

DLC Trees, DLC Rivets, ...?

Why does that concern you?

You, or we, the customers, draw the line: it is OPTIONAL. You want it? Buy it. You don't want it? Don't buy it.

See, if nobody buys your "DLC Hi-Fi Rivet Pack", then chances are that also nobody will buy the "DLC Platinum Screws Pack" either. Line: drawn!

Dusty is completely right.

If you want to change how the Caucasus looks and feels - buy it. One-time payment of 15 USD for such a huge amount of work is a bargain IMHO. If you don't want to - you don't have to, which means that Caucasus remains free.

I like the Caucasus map and and want see it developed. But I want is to be the same for everyone without nuisance fees that will be barriers of entry for some.

I have spent thousands of euros in simming and hundreds in DCS. I can afford the 15. What I can't afford is having a smaller playerbase or paying the modules for my friends if they can't afford it or refuse to pay and stop playing.

Also, many of us have bought the "same" experience many times. Lock-on, FC, FC2, FC3... this is irritating for many.

Simple question on business logic: which brings more new customers and revenue:

1)showing the best stuff for the new customers and getting them hooked (and getting the buy the airplane modules)

2)Having an ugly (compared to the mod) product that you have to pay extra to get make it better. Then pay for this, then for that, like the carriers.

The sad truth is that the DCS community is very small. Just look at the World of Tanks, etc, community. Sure, they play an arcade game. But their community is huge.

Now from my personal point of view as a campaign / mission builder this is great news, as Black Sea is an excellent map with many options for interesting and realistic things to do - something which, despite its awesomeness, Nevada just can't provide. So many thanks to Starway for his hard work.

I'm not arguing that Starway didn't do a great job. I'm just displeased the way ED is managing the product. They could have easily paid Starway a lump sum of $10 000 or something like that.

Also, look at the comparison pictures. The new ones are great, of course. But imagine having targets in those pictures and then notice that it will be difficult to coordinate attacks with those that do not have the same details.

• Like 2

I like the Caucasus map and and want see it developed. But I want is to be the same for everyone without nuisance fees that will be barriers of entry for some.

I have spent thousands of euros in simming and hundreds in DCS. I can afford the 15. What I can't afford is having a smaller playerbase or paying the modules for my friends if they can't afford it or refuse to pay and stop playing.

Also, many of us have bought the "same" experience many times. Lock-on, FC, FC2, FC3... this is irritating for many.

1)showing the best stuff for the new customers and getting them hooked (and getting the buy the airplane modules)

2)Having an ugly (compared to the mod) product that you have to pay extra to get make it better. Then pay for this, then for that, like the carriers.

The sad truth is that the DCS community is very small. Just look at the World of Tanks, etc, community. Sure, they play an arcade game. But their community is huge.

I'm not arguing that Starway didn't do a great job. I'm just displeased the way ED is managing the product. They could have easily paid Starway a lump sum of $10 000 or something like that.

Also, look at the comparison pictures. The new ones are great, of course. But imagine having targets in those pictures and then notice that it will be difficult to coordinate attacks with those that do not have the same details.

I agree. Give Starway money, give all players the new map together with a Caucasus overhaul and everybody will be happy. I think ED would sell way more modules if the 1.5 looked better, since that is the version people try before buying anything.

Gesendet von meinem E6653 mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

Why does that concern you?

You, or we, the customers, draw the line: it is OPTIONAL. You want it? Buy it. You don't want it? Don't buy it.

See, if nobody buys your "DLC Hi-Fi Rivet Pack", then chances are that also nobody will buy the "DLC Platinum Screws Pack" either. Line: drawn!

This ^^

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Will this affect other texture mods in any way when dcs 1.5 is merged into the new engine? I might buy this, but i will resist if it somehow forces its way as the single texture option in the future. I do not feel that would be right for all the other texturers who have also spent alot of time on their terrains, free for the community.

very nice work as always and the price is the price, however I do have some questions :

1, as a paid mod will the airfields be redone ? as I would buy in an instant if they are..

2, will buyers be able to use bonus points ? (worth an ask)

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

The new textures seems to be stunning, and they deserve money. Should they sell them seperatly as a DLC or include them for free and pay Starway? Well I have no problem to pay someone for quality work, today 15$ is nothing, even a pizza and a beer are more expensive than this...but i think like others those textures can bring new players to the game, it look SOOO much better....they've made their choice, looking forward to buy them.

I am not going to say it should be free, I don't think so. It is good that people who can add to sim can make some $ off that. It motivates further improvement, and gives the community a chance to give back to modders.

But I consider 15$ for a texture pack to be considerably beyond what I am willing to pay for such.

That said since this is optional, and since ED is not locking map textures to preclude use of other mods, or modding at all, I don't think there is anything to cry foul about.

So long as modding capability is not locked, and a practice of "$DLC$ everything" is not adopted, all is fine.

Still I would have wanted to support this effort, but sadly not at this price. But anyway, price is for vendors to decide in the end.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I agree, Starway put a lot of hours working on this texture update and he rightfully deserves a reword for that. And it's optional so you are not obligated to buy it. The default textures look pretty good also.

SiThSpAwN, can you share some more info on the Caucasus update that ED is working on? The things that interests me most is are we getting a new mesh for the terrain with higher resolution and do ED plan to bring the Crimea content back on the map since we have EDGE already?

Galwran, I would be very sorry to hear if people actually stopped playing DCS altogether just because of the release of this optional DLC. I find it a bit ludicrous to justify that action. Here's one reason why:

For the record, i think the images in the first post could be a little misleading.

What I mean by that is the perspective and zoom level in the 'default' vs 'starway' images is not identical. This leads to the false perception that major visual reference points like roads, railways and the size/shape of populated areas have been altered in this mod.

On further investigation it looks like Starway's mod changes the colours/texture and through clever artistry gives an enhanced sense of depth to the terrain. However, it does not appear to alter any of the aforementioned major visual ref points.

I do concede that the alteration of the field colours could potentially affect visual talk-ons when people are running different versions but I'm doubtful that it would be totally game breaking. I say this as someone who is heavily into the accurate simulation of FAC(A) and CAS in a MP environment.

hey could have easily paid Starway a lump sum of $10 000 or something like that.

megalol.gif C'mon man, that's a bit far-fetched! You make some decent points when it comes to the 'ideal' business model that could be implemented but when you think of the economics of that kind of approach I don't think it would be viable, hence the DLC approach. As you said, the DCS community is relatively small in the 'gaming' world - $10k to a modder to buy their as yet untested mod vs offering it as an optional DLC? For me it's easy to see why ED took this approach.

Truly, I understand your concerns but I hope that you can avoid having your player base diminished by explaining these points to your friends.

Edited by |DUSTY|
  • Like 1

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

I remember a saying I heard when I was little.

DON'T take the loaf take the crumbs and make the loaf .

by that I mean the loaf is $15 the crumbs should be $5.

at $5 EVERYONE WILL BUY IT Thus making you more money and everyone feel good about spending such a small amount.

definitely considering new maps will be here soon enough

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

The sim market is very small and this DLC method may be the most feasible way for content creators to get compensated in any small way. Again, this is optional as mentioned. The textures take a lot of time to create and map to the current existing mesh. Given what we have, starway's work looks absolutely fantastic. Totally worth $15. As mentioned here, it is as much as a lunch in many places.

Although, I do understand the hesitation here. I am interested to see what ED plans on doing with the current terrain mesh for 2.5. I wonder if it is a better idea to release the whole thing together as a package: New mesh + textures by starway... rather than separate pieces.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

+1

I also think the new players should have the best and not have the feeling of getting old dry crumbs.

I could easily pay 15$ but I don't think is fair. Possibly 10$ is just the protection... which is sad.

Two things I don't find clear in the description/pictures:

– Volumetric tree textures for all seasons

The trees look the same as a 3D model so just the texture is different. The word "volumentric" can be misleading as the old ones are as volumetric as these new... right? Also... not colidable, that volumetric word can also mislead people hopes.

– Distant terrain textures for all seasons

Seeing in the pics and video that the technology is the same (one base texture, one small/close up noise texture and one mountain texture that starts at certain altitude with a controlable fade in zone) all I can think of regarding that statement and the one about "more contrast" is the smaller mip maps were individually reedited to have more contrast to counter the effect the graphic engine will have. Smart move but the phrase above could be misleading also then. People might think new textures are added.

Finally... Wags said Starway edited the lua's also... those edits are very important to get things right... will they also be locked/hidden?

I know everyone has the right to chose to pay or not but also feedback is good to be given. We the ones that bought all from ED have amassed some good amount of money spent on this sim and this micro-transaction like scheme could mean more spending in the future and the end result might not cut it.

I prefer to wait for ED to see what new tech is bringing into this old map and use till then Barthek's take on these textures.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

This looks really impressive. Day one buy for sure.

Regarding the price... well, I spend hundreds of bucks for FSX DLCs. Even HD trees. Considering the huge amount of work and the quality of this texture DLC, this is a no brainer for me.

Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed!!!