Leatherneck Q1 Development Update - Part I

Cobra847

Isnt the F-14A the variant victim of engine stalling?

i7 2600k -- Noctua NH-D14--Asrock Z75 Pro3--ASUS GTX970 Strix --16Go Ripjaws X 1333--Thermaltake Smart M650--CoolerMaster Silencio 652S--AOC E2752VQ-- Sandisk Extreme II 480GB--Saitek X-52 Pro --SAITEK PZ35 Pedals

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the only published renders are of the F-14A cockpit. The two are very similar, but there are a couple of small differences.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2356192&postcount=1

Pilot's F-14A cockpit:

attachment.php?attachmentid=115299&d=1426908908

Glad to hear that. Hopefully you'll also post a few F-14A renders in the not-to-distant future. :)

-Nick

You are right. I was mixing up the pilot cockpit and the WSO pit for A and B in my mind

Isnt the F-14A the variant victim of engine stalling?

Yes it is.

You are right. I was mixing up the pilot cockpit and the WSO pit for A and B in my mind

To your credit, the cockpits are really similar. There are only about 3 small changes, otherwise they are identical. Also, the post-1992 (or so) F-14As have the same changes as the F-14A+/B.

But the only cockpit that LNS has shown us was on the F-14A in her mid-late 1980s configuration.

-Nick

PS - The Tomcat doesn't have a WSO - they call it a RIO (USN used the RIO designation for both the Phantom and Tomcat, but changed it to WSO for the Rhino/"Super" Hornet). :)

Edited by BlackLion213

F-14 release towards the end of the year? Did I read that right?

No, the article does not explicitly link the two. While the phrasing "toward the end of the year and the inevitable release", does imply a link, the connecting article "and" does not require a link between two things when used like this in list form. (Ex, apples and nuclear weapons). While Cobra has stated in the past his hopes for specific release time windows, using this article to infer one wouldn't be technically correct.

No, the article does not explicitly link the two. While the phrasing "toward the end of the year and the inevitable release", does imply a link, the connecting article "and" does not require a link between two things when used like this in list form. (Ex, apples and nuclear weapons). While Cobra has stated in the past his hopes for specific release time windows, using this article to infer one wouldn't be technically correct.

Alright, now I have a headache.

I'm pretty sure Tom had it right, except that any predictions are merely that - a prediction.

So glad that weatherman aren't held to the same standard...or surely all would have burned at the stake by now (imagine the deleterious effect on picnic planning ;)).

-Nick

I think the end of the year is a target date. From experience, those estimations are never met. There are lots of details that devs want to work out before release, especially after making us wait for a long time they want their mods to be close to perfect.

I wouldnt be sad to see it in 2017. I managed my expectations already.

I think the end of the year is a target date. From experience, those estimations are never met. There are lots of details that devs want to work out before release, especially after making us wait for a long time they want their mods to be close to perfect.

I wouldnt be sad to see it in 2017. I managed my expectations already.

Same here. I'm optimistic that modul development time isn't exactly proportional (I.e. Mig took X years so the tomcat should take XX years). Developers are just getting around to their second go at it and are hopefully streamlining their techniques.

Alright, now I have a headache.

I'm pretty sure Tom had it right, except that any predictions are merely that - a prediction.

So glad that weatherman aren't held to the same standard...or surely all would have burned at the stake by now (imagine the deleterious effect on picnic planning ;)).

-Nick

A prediction creates expectation, and LN rather desperately needs to stop creating expectations it can't meet. They may want to target the end of year as a release date, but we're way too far out to make that kind of prediction. And given we're now 7 months behind on the Viggen announcement, managing expectations should be one of Cobra's primary goals, at least until he can start making his predictions with some accuracy and on a consistent basis.

I am a bit confused... Will the next update include the Viggen, or is part 2 still only focused on the Tomcat?

Part 2 focuses on the Tomcat and drops next week.

Cobra said focused on the F14, not f14 exclusive (page 3 of this thread)

Well, from what Schmidtfire asked and what Cobra answered I understand that Part 2 will be F-14 excluseve. But we will see Friday....

Doubt it since neither the interior or exterior is textured.

But I am interested as to why they chose to split the update in two parts.

Me too, though there certainly are things to talk about. The Tomcat theater is still a big mystery and the LNS Tomcat is supposed to have a novel failures model that can generate "up gripes" at mission start and nuanced failures during flights. That sounds intriguing, plus Cobra could talk about Jester AI.

So lots of possibilities for part II.

-Nick

Me too, though there certainly are things to talk about. The Tomcat theater is still a big mystery and the LNS Tomcat is supposed to have a novel failures model that can generate "up gripes" at mission start and nuanced failures during flights. That sounds intriguing, plus Cobra could talk about Jester AI.

So lots of possibilities for part II.

-Nick

Yeah you're right. There's still loads of stuff we haven't heard much about.

Three days left...three...long...days.

Especially interested in learning more about "Jester AI" that will act as a smart RIO from the backseat in single player mode...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Wouldn't it be awesome if they made Jester like this lame ass guy with terrible jokes and horrible puns and stuff.

And every now and then he throws a Snickers bar at the back of your head.

I'd like that.

As long as he doesn't insist on playing topless beach volleyball with you... :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com