DCS: F-5E!

Python

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointing we won't get ILS in this version, would have loved to use it as a single seat trainer (cough cough release an F-5F please ;)) but it'll be a fun ACFT to fly anyways.

A F-5F would be interesting.

Especially if they went with a F-5F with AGM-65 capability.

I so cant wait for this aircraft to be released =>.

Im more Hyped For the F-5E then i am the F-18 or F-14.

And even more hyped then i am for the Viggen.

and as a swede the Viggen is one of my favorite aircraft ever!.

But i just cant wait to fly the F-5E.

Some more F-5 Cockpit cam footage.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9QHqZaCd9Y&nohtml5=False[/ame]

Edited by mattebubben

I hope that the early Aim-9B will be included.

I've started gathering a small Vietnam-compilation-pack. With the Mig-19 and A7E mods. Liveries for the F-4 Phantom. Starways Vietnam textures. Light AAA pack. The Mig-19 is actually a solid AI opponent and a good addition to the Mig-21. Now I just have to wait for the F-5E release... :)

and as a swede the Viggen is one of my favorite aircraft ever!.

My hypedness follows a similar pattern :).

For me it goes like Viggen/F-5, about equal hype, followed by F-18, but first duo hypes me significantly more :). F-14 doesn't even make it to my personal most hyped list :music_whistling:

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Couple of questions about this module and scrolling 130 pages during my lunch break is a bit too much :P

1) Doesn't BST's F-5 have a radar? If so, then why Isn't there any radar guided stuff planned?

2) Will this module come with a campaign?

Couple of questions about this module and scrolling 130 pages during my lunch break is a bit too much :P

1) Doesn't BST's F-5 have a radar? If so, then why Isn't there any radar guided stuff planned?

2) Will this module come with a campaign?

1) Yes it has a radar. It makes it significantly easier to track a target to WVR, provides weapon release cues, and gun pipper tracking. I don't believe the real F-5E's ever carried any radar guided weapons either, except for a custom model built to carry AIM-120s for a country who's name I can't remember right now.

2) I don't know for sure, but I imagine it will just maybe not right away.

phant posted new F-5 pics on the italian section

see here

The Omni Lights in those shots are a bit bright.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

+1 :D

It's been a good year for me with the L-39 and F-5E both coming out.

The days are long with waiting for the F-5E. :'(

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

But isnt the Bis a post 'nam model? Afaik the Tiger II was even used in the war

F-5 was used if I recall correctly, but our F-5 is later than that. For example F-16C can mean anything from 80s Block 25 to current Block 52+, which differ wildly. Our F-5E will have better RWR, better radar, and automatic maneuvering flaps compared to original F-5E.

As for MiG-21Bis being post Vietnam, that isn't entirely true either. It did not serve in Vietnam war, but entered service in 1972. F-14A, which entered service in 1974 seem to have flown some patrols during final withdrawals from Vietnam.

As for the matchup between MiG and F-5, it should be an exciting matchup. They have dissimilar advantages / disadvantages to one another.

But I hope MiG will get fixed quickly. Since a few versions ago, it's flight model seem to have grown, well... eccentricities, and also it's radar doesn't seem to work anymore.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

But isnt the Bis a post 'nam model? Afaik the Tiger II was even used in the war

The F-5E with the APQ-153 radar was used in the war by the South Vietnamese airforce.

What we are getting is equipped with the APQ-159 radar aswell as a better RWR system.

So this particular model / setup of F-5E did not see service.

But the difference is all in Avionics the flight performance is the same as a the earlier F-5E.

F-5 was used if I recall correctly, but our F-5 is later than that.

Apparently, mostly the older A/B types got used in combat as the more sophisticated F-5E's were difficult to maintain for the SVNAF:

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/f5_40.html

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Apparently, mostly the older A/B types got used in combat as the more sophisticated F-5E's were difficult to maintain for the SVNAF:

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/f5_40.html

Nice link, thanks!

BTW, for the clarity, in my above quoted post, with a momentray lapse of brain, I forgot to add E. What I actually mean is, F-5E did operate in Vietnam but, our F-5E is later and more advanced than that particular F-5E.

Also interesting seeing at some point in time, F-5 and MiG-21 served side by side, in same squadron :).

DCS-Dismounts Script