kneeboard files and utilites? hearing from VR users

hannibal

im hoping to spend some time on DCS again.

so this is available to make kneeboards..

http://www.dcskneeboardbuilder.com/

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129341

just wondering if there are custom kneeboards that are VR oriented available somewhere for download... particulaly for A-10C, P51D and BF109

for the most part i guess i have to look up the manuals of respective planes and make them?

i like to know VR user's experience with the kneeboards... the kneeboard thread is full of 2d users, multiscreen users.. who seem to have issues.. lol

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

My experience with the kneeboard is limited, have used it some in the Spitfire Epsom Campaign.

Seemed to work fairly well for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm looking into using the Kneeboard more as well. I thought I remembered it using the Arrow keys to open and navigate, but I don't see those controls in the game now. And I thought I remembered that it appeared on the pilot's lap, but now I see it as a window on the screen. So has it changed, or are their 2 ways to display it? I can't get the old way to work, so maybe I'm just confused.

I just downloaded the Kneeboard Builder, but it just crashes. Just like the last time I tried it a year ago. But people are using it, so I'm not sure what's wrong. But I'm starting to remember why I never used the Kneedboard... But I like it better on the screen than on the pilot's lap.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I'm looking into using the Kneeboard more as well. I thought I remembered it using the Arrow keys to open and navigate, but I don't see those controls in the game now. And I thought I remembered that it appeared on the pilot's lap, but now I see it as a window on the screen. So has it changed, or are their 2 ways to display it? I can't get the old way to work, so maybe I'm just confused.

I just downloaded the Kneeboard Builder, but it just crashes. Just like the last time I tried it a year ago. But people are using it, so I'm not sure what's wrong. But I'm starting to remember why I never used the Kneedboard... But I like it better on the screen than on the pilot's lap.

Mine is on the screen.

I assigned buttons on my HOTAS to navigate on the kneeboard. They commands are in the controller setup menu, just not sure where they were off top of my head.

One thing I am not crazy about is the plane location not updating real time, have to press a button each time to update aircraft position. Wags mentioned in a thread on it a little while ago they were looking at implementing something like that, which would be great.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Maybe not entirely related to the in-sim kneeboard but http://www.hellov.io/ is a cool app that can display a movable window in VR headset by sdimply tapping the headset. Can have youtube clipp or custome webpages or whatever. However there is a bug that makes it only work on one eye. Please request it on their discord so he sees the need for this.

Also: yeah using kneeboard builder only seem to work on some aircraft, other ones warp it.

"Hard to imagine bigger engine. its got a beautiful face and an arse built like sputnik." - Pikey AKA The Poet, on 37 Viggen.

I thought that only worked with SteamVR? Maybe not.. I'll check that out..

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Edited by Snacko

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

. Wags mentioned in a thread on it a little while ago they were looking at implementing something like that, which would be great.

yea, i hope there is a ipad like companion like what flyinside has for xplane & fsx for DCS. The xplane devs are going to also have their own in game ipad with out the flyinside addon.

I'm in VR and just started using the DCS KneeBoardBuilder. Awesome utility! Totally changed my VR experience. No more peeking through the nose hole to look at reference material. It crashed on me too at first when opening the exe normally. Try right clicking on it and run as administrator. Worked for me. So far I've just added my HOTAS mappings for each aircraft and in the general group have added threat and Nav/Beacon lists found on the internet. A nice feature is being able to omit all of the default airport maps. Maybe I haven't figured it out yet but it doesn't seem to like landscape PDF files/pictures which will cut them off or warp them a bit.

thanks for sharing experience.

i was planning to collect the start up checklists, some cockpit dash/panel reference photos..(trying to accomodate VR guests that dont know anything about DCS)

what else is good to have along with hotas mappings, waypoints, frequencies..

I'm in VR and just started using the DCS KneeBoardBuilder. Awesome utility! Totally changed my VR experience. No more peeking through the nose hole to look at reference material. It crashed on me too at first when opening the exe normally. Try right clicking on it and run as administrator. Worked for me. So far I've just added my HOTAS mappings for each aircraft and in the general group have added threat and Nav/Beacon lists found on the internet. A nice feature is being able to omit all of the default airport maps. Maybe I haven't figured it out yet but it doesn't seem to like landscape PDF files/pictures which will cut them off or warp them a bit.

hey, Im also a VR user and could not even think about flying without the kneeboard builder. What I do during our briefings, I simply use the Win10 'Snipping Tool' to make screenshots on the fly of maps, frequency tables, airport diagrams etc or text files that I want to have ready in flight.

I just save those screenshots on the desktop and before starting DSC, I quickly import them via the kneeboard builder. Takes just a few seconds and for me then it completely eliminates the need of taking off the headset during flight.

Just make sure you keep the aspect ratio of your screenshots similar to your kneeboard dimensions, or it will not look good on the kneeboard later. Also, Im using the flaps lever of the Warthog throttle and map this to VR zoom in and out, that helps a lot with reading smaller test on teh kneeboard