what should mission editors set our TACAN stations to now?

Zyll

So Wags just released this statement:

As some have correctly deduced, we also implemented realistic frequencies for A/A TACAN that do not interfere with the datalink. If you are having issues of C2 aircraft, C2 contacts, and some PPLI not appearing on the SA page, note that that TACAN functionality is embedded in the MIDS terminal. Because the upper antenna filter is fixed, it filters A/A TACAN frequencies on channels 1-36 and 64-99 (X and Y). A/A TACAN channels should be chosen outside of these ranges. The upper filter makes the top antenna unusable for T/R (Air to Ground) TACAN channels 1-29 X and Y, 47X to 63X and 64Y to 92Y. For TACAN channels in these ranges, the bottom antenna is the only antenna for TACAN. [This] causes reduced ranges for DME at channels within the range of the filter when flying directly away from the TACAN station.

I'm gathering that AA TACAN (tankers) should be between 37X/Y and 63X/Y. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For T/R ground TACAN (carriers), I can't quite understand what we should be using.

All this being said and done, is the fact that the TACAN can't be turned off when D/L is turned on actually a bug or not?

thanks,

I’m pretty good at keeping up with the Hornet systems and updates, but I honestly don’t know what the hell 90% of Wag’s post even means. What are “C2 aircraft” and “C2 contacts”? So, upper antenna for A/A TACAN, lower antenna for A/G TACAN? How do we choose the antenna?

I'm gathering that AA TACAN (tankers) should be between 37X/Y and 63X/Y. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That is pretty much the only clear info I gleaned from the post...I think.

For T/R ground TACAN (carriers), I can't quite understand what we should be using.

I assume any of the freqs outside the A/A 37-63, but yeah, I have no idea either.

For A2A (A/A) TACAN select channels 37 - 63 and 100+ for X/Y

For A2G (T/R) TACAN select channels

30 - 46 and 64+ for X

30 - 63 and 93+ for Y

If outside these ranges, thereby inside the filter TACAN range might be decreased as aready said

• Like 1

i5-2400 | 16GB Corsair XMS3 | MSI GTX 970 4GB | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Windows 10 64 bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How do we choose the antenna?

You don't choose the antenna by yourself. The hornet has two antennas installed, one on the bottom and one on top. Both are used simultaneously without further action. However, the upper one has a frequency filter which the lower does not have (or at least not the same one). Hence, if you tune in a station which corresponds to a frequency that it filtered out by the upper antenna, only the lower one remains for reeceiving the signal, resulting in a lower signal intensiry and the station is seen from not so far away.

Disclaimer: that's how understood it. I don't have any sources..

Where in Mission Editor can one set the AA Tacan for Awacs?

All I see is the Comms frequency?

The carrier has the TACAN option but it appears, the AWACS does not?

I can't think of a reason the AWACS would require TACAN. You have no need to rendezvous with the AWACS, so you don't need a TACAN for that unit. You do need to find tankers and the carrier though.