AIM-120 for the Hornet

FistofZen

20 miles is still better compared to 6-7 miles for aim-7. :music_whistling:
Yes, miles better. I think I will take 20miles happily , not so much of a fan of short range missile in air-to-air combat.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 miles is still better compared to 6-7 miles for aim-7. :music_whistling:

Sure, but I would have preferred at least 30 miles

CPU i7 9700K@5ghz | COOLER Corsair H100x | MB Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200mhz | GPU MSI RTX 3070 Ti Gaming X Trio | SSD OS Samsung M.2 860 EVO 250GB / SSD DCS 860 Evo 500GB| PSU Antec HCG 850W Gold | SO Win 10 pro 64bit | MONITORS LG 27GL850/BENQ GW2780 | PERIFERICHE GAMING TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind + combat pedals + hydraulic damper | TM MFD Cougar | Logitech DFGT

"Mai discutere con un idiota, ti trascina al suo livello e ti batte con l'esperienza" cit. Oscar Wilde

Everything is using a very simplified radar and datalink ;)

The hornet's about the first A2A fighter in DCS to do something 'extra' and so far only for the radar. There are certainly things that can be done with the data-link, but they require a significant change in the missile's guidance logic also.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

It seems to be mouted directly on the hardpoint. Does the aim120 not need a launcher like the sparrow? If so that would be good news since the launchers add drag. Especially the sparrow launchers are incredibly draggy.

It seems to be mouted directly on the hardpoint. Does the aim120 not need a launcher like the sparrow? If so that would be good news since the launchers add drag. Especially the sparrow launchers are incredibly draggy.

What do you mean? I can't log into the game right now, could you upload a screenshot?

THe 120B is supposed to be supported only when fired with STT mode radar, TWS support will follow later Wags said. But Question. If fired in STT can the lock be broken before the target is hit (i.e. does the 120B still go 'Pitbull' at which point the lock can be broken, or is it like the sparrow where the lock must be maintained until impact. Obviously a HUGE tactical advantage if the Pitbull behaviour is modelled now,

THe 120B is supposed to be supported only when fired with STT mode radar, TWS support will follow later Wags said. But Question. If fired in STT can the lock be broken before the target is hit (i.e. does the 120B still go 'Pitbull' at which point the lock can be broken, or is it like the sparrow where the lock must be maintained until impact. Obviously a HUGE tactical advantage if the Pitbull behaviour is modelled now,
The missile should remember the last location and will go Pitbull when it's within range of that location.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You can fire and then unlock the target, it will guide itself to the target.

Am I special?

Yes, it does.
Whaoooo, Great! now I can take a break from carrier landing and fight. Are the Rmax and Rmin symbologies on the hud implemented?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

there should be a Launcher but it`s WIP so nothing to worry :)

jIbAVwB.jpg

Edited by MaverickKRK

Some weeks with no updates you need to check the patch logs lol :thumbup:

Basically we have to endure 2 weeks without update when there's no hotfix with the update schedule ED has set for. Some could be two. And I'd not count the Stable merge. After all it's just the same update we got already one week later for being on the Open Beta branch instead. Really, who does not want to get the fixes and features earlier? I see no reason for using the Stable branch at the moment. And I suspect we'll get our MiG-21 cockpits back on Friday fsgrin.png

I'm glad to read that something that hasn't been mentioned in the changelog made it in. especially since it's a new toy and not just some fix. On the other hoof I'm totally missing out things that have been on the list 2 or even more weeks ago and have been removed for not actually being in afterwards, but they're still in the mini-updates, like:

(2 weeks ago)

1- Aircraft no longer slide on the carrier deck, at any carrier speed.

10- Landing gear drag lowered.

(4 weeks ago)

2- Canister munitions (MK-20 and CBU-99) are now much more accurate. Note that you’ll need to set the MFUZ to VT. You can then set a Height Of Burst (HOB) using the HT function on the SMS page.

9- New VFA-122 skin.

12- No more uncommanded STT switches between targets.

13- STT lock is retained during hard maneuvers.

I was awaiting some of them to appear today, but the list says no. Would appreciate to find out the opposite twilightsmile.png

Short version: I'm fine with an update every two weeks, even more so with unmentioned things like the 120B, but I'd really like to actually see the fixes that have been in the changelogs or have been said to be in the "coming update" weeks ago. No problem waiting longer if some issues with an announced feature or fix suddenly pops up and it has to be delayed though, after all this is early access and we'll get all of this eventually... it's just the teasing-and-not-giving rdlaugh.png

20 miles is still better compared to 6-7 miles for aim-7. music_whistling.gif

Sure, but I would have preferred at least 30 miles

At least you got an actual BVR missile now, isn't that great? rainbowdashwink.png

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

At what altitude, target aspect, speed, etc?

'The range is short' is a completely meaningless statement without the details of the launching and target aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Ok, I`ll answer you immediately:

-In normal attitude - between 3000-5000 fts;

-In perfect weather conditions, no rain, no snow, daytime;

-Vs BIG targets (last time i`ve played vs Chinese AWACS), and AIM-120 allows me to shoot in...6 nm....:mad::mad:

So tell me, where is the excuse for AIM-120/AIM-7?

If the aircraft is flying away from you(aspect) , this range can be excuse though not entirely for a slow target. But if the target was flying towards you and 6-7miles would indicated we are getting a very simple aim120b.

Ok, I`ll answer you immediately:

-In normal attitude - between 3000-5000 fts;

-In perfect weather conditions, no rain, no snow, daytime;

-Vs BIG targets (last time i`ve played vs Chinese AWACS), and AIM-120 allows me to shoot in...6 nm....:mad::mad:

So tell me, where is the excuse for AIM-120/AIM-7?

Your assumption of it's max range (30+ NM) is roughly about the RMax (max kinematic range) for a high altitude (30k+), high speed, nose hot, non-maneuvering target.

AS SOON as you encounter a maneuvering target, that range drops dramatically, if you aren't high and fast when you launch it, range drops dramatically, combine those two things and you have a RNez (no escape zone, meaning there's no way for the bandit to kinematically defeat the missile, ie: he can't run the missile out of energy) that is probably 1/4 or less of the RMax

All these variables have huge impacts on missile range. Missile range is not a single static number listed in wikipedia. You can't launch an aim120 at 5000' at a maneuvering target and get ANYWHERE CLOSE to 30+nm range out of it. It's not physically possible, IRL or in game.